Hi guys
I'm saving some money to buy a new guitar and I realy like the LTD MH-400
Is this a good chose? I play metalcore, melodic deathmetal, ... (Heaven Shall Burn, As I Lay Dying, Neaera, ...)
I have'nt played it before, so I don't realy know if it's any good, so before I'm going to buy it I would like to know your opinions on the LTD MH-400 (or LTD MH-250)
thanx

(if there are any spellingmistakes, sorry, I'm Belgian)
Dont get ESP below the 400 series, period.

And about the MH-400, how would you feel about finished necks? And to tell you, this guitar has very good sustain and really heavy sound combined with the stock EMGs its good. The trem is also ok, should hold tuning fine (its Schaller's LFR as someone had told me, not 100% sure), but just incase it doesnt its easily swappable to a Schaller LFR/Gotoh LFR/OFR itself.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what amp do you use?

^yea more importantly, emg's will only give you the sound you want with a nice tube amp to compliment them.
Well, if you got a decent amp, and are looking for looks as a bonus, an EC-500 maybe? Beautiful guitar, great sound, and even better price.
ya, you gotta change that, my other guitarist has a 75 watt of it very digital, unatural sound, it will not sound good with any guitar, to bring out what is great in your new guitar get a new tube amp if you can afford it (i kno i have a MG DFX50, ITS ALL THEY HAD, besides a line 6 AND WAS ON SALE), but hopefully ill change that soon
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
^yea more importantly, emg's will only give you the sound you want with a nice tube amp to compliment them.

Bullshit.

The MH400 is a great guitar, the 250 isn't that good. As long as you don't try and rape your trem it'll hold it fine, and the pups and everything else rock. If it plays nicely for you go right ahead.

EMGs dont' NEED a tube amp, they need users with IQ's higher than their shoe size.
haha
Quote by madpickin03
The trem is also ok, should hold tuning fine (its Schaller's LFR as someone had told me, not 100% sure), but just incase it doesnt its easily swappable to a Schaller LFR/Gotoh LFR/OFR itself.

I don't recall ever seeing a Schaller LFR on an LTD. Usually their LFRs are made in Korea as well as the guitars. The LFRs on higher end LTD aren't bad, actually, and far better than on most other comparable import guitars. The LFRs on the lower end models are a bit iffy. They work well at first, but the knife edges wear down quick if you use the trem significantly. When they need a better quality trem for the high end guitars, they simply install an OFR.

FYI - Schaller Germany actually make the bridges under contract for Floyd Rose. Their LRF is identical in every way to the OFR. The only difference is the base plate that has the branding stamped on it. Otherwise, it's identical. So if the guitar comes with a Schaller, then for all intents and purposes, it's an OFR and doesn't need to be replaced.

And the claim that EMGs will only sound good on tube amps is one of the most moronic and ignorant statements I've ever heard made about EMG.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Don't you mean one of the most moronic and ignorant statements heard... again and again.... and again... and again... about EMG?

haha
Quote by Crunchmeister
I don't recall ever seeing a Schaller LFR on an LTD. Usually their LFRs are made in Korea as well as the guitars. The LFRs on higher end LTD aren't bad, actually, and far better than on most other comparable import guitars. The LFRs on the lower end models are a bit iffy. They work well at first, but the knife edges wear down quick if you use the trem significantly. When they need a better quality trem for the high end guitars, they simply install an OFR.

FYI - Schaller Germany actually make the bridges under contract for Floyd Rose. Their LRF is identical in every way to the OFR. The only difference is the base plate that has the branding stamped on it. Otherwise, it's identical. So if the guitar comes with a Schaller, then for all intents and purposes, it's an OFR and doesn't need to be replaced.

And the claim that EMGs will only sound good on tube amps is one of the most moronic and ignorant statements I've ever heard made about EMG.

^ Yes i am well aware of that, its just that i've read some reviews from 1st timers saying that it has Schaller installed.

Now that i got the pic, ok so clearly it aint a Schaller.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
^ Yes i am well aware of that, its just that i've read some reviews from 1st timers saying that it has Schaller installed.

Now that i got the pic, ok so clearly it aint a Schaller.

oh well, thats a fvcking nice guitar! I love the paint job! nice pattern and so shiny!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Don't you mean one of the most moronic and ignorant statements heard... again and again.... and again... and again... about EMG?

Yeah. Now that the "EMGs sound exactly the same in any guitar" myth has successfully been debunked (at least here on UG), this is the new morsel of stupidity that took its place.

And worse is that I'm sure over 75% of the people who spew this nonsense out have never tried either EMG pickups or a tube amp. They're strictly going be hearsay.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Go for it! ESP LTDs are the best in that pricerange as long as you get an -400 or higher series. The -1000 series is a bit better, but not much. You don't need a new amp just now and the guitar is way more important!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
The -1000 series is a bit better, but not much.

Technically, the construction and wood quality is the same on both the 400 and 1000 series. The 1000 have somewhat better hardware (in some cases) and have fancier abalone trims and shìt which make them cost more.

Quote by Crunchmeister
Technically, the construction and wood quality is the same on both the 400 and 1000 series. The 1000 have somewhat better hardware (in some cases) and have fancier abalone trims and shìt which make them cost more.

Exacly.

EMGs sound better on tube amps as well as ANY OTHER PICK UP! Everything sounds better on a tube amp, because a solid state amp can't give you the sound of overheated tubes just on the edge of melting. That's a fact.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Thanx a lot guys, realy, i've learnd a lot
So the best thing to do is buying the MH-400 and then look for a better amp, perfect!
Any opinions about what amp goes wel with this kind of guitar, knowing that i play dropped C and that i mostely play metal (metalcore, melodic deathmetal,...)
I like the sound of As I Lay dying and Heaven Shall Burn, i don't know if that helps a lot?
Thanx anyway for the replies
Changing from Standard to drop C will be a pain on the Floyd.... but you could have it setup to be in ONLY drop C...

Personally I'd say work w/ standard... if you need to re-set it up for dropped tunings.
haha
I'm sorry, but I'm not shure if i understand what you mean
Does it realy make such a big diffrence, if i play dropped C
I have a strat, and that one is tuned standard, so i wanted to buy a guitar that i would tune dropped C, so what do I have to do then? Do I have to buy another type of MH-400?
In order to change tuning, you first have to re-do the intonation and tighten the spring tension. I also would recommend the MH-400NT if you want to use drop tunings and other tunings. If not then just take it to a shop and have them set it up. I recommend you get the tremsetter (here and switching out the LFR with a OFR Pro. Since the only Pro I can find is either gold or chrome, I would go with gold and also switch out the tuners (bridge , tuners )
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Just say "Hey, can you set up my guitar for drop c tuning?" and if they say that you dont need to then tell them its a guitar with a floyd rose or w/e.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
You can tune to anything with the MH-400. The only kicker is that it's a real pain in the ass changing tunings with a Floyd since you have to unlock the nut and reset the spring tension in the trem cavity every time you change tunings. This is even more work when changing tunings radically like switching from E Standard to drop D 1 step down (what people generally, but incorrectly refer to as Drop C).

If you intend on using the MH for a dropped tuning, get it set up for that tuning and leave it there. Use your other guitar for standard tunings. It's as simple as that.

If I were you I'd keep the ESP/LTD in standard and the Fender in Drop C.

Floyd Rose bridges do not make it simple to go to many different tunings.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
If I were you I'd keep the ESP/LTD in standard and the Fender in Drop C.

Floyd Rose bridges do not make it simple to go to many different tunings.

If he keeps the MH in the drop tuning all the time and uses his Strat for other tunings, then he's fine. Floyds will work with any tuning equally well. As long as he has another guitar that's easy to retune, then he's fine.