Hey guys.

I'm usually an arrogant asshole, and don't ask for advice, but in this case I have to.

I've been in a band since last December, and went through a change of a drummer, but it's relatively the same... Me (guitar/vocals), my bassist, and my drummer. Now, my bassist is an awesome dude, can play good, and also has a great stage presence.

My drummer on the other hand, is a pretty annoying guy, and isn't quite amazing on drums. I mean, he can hardly keep the same tempo without doing a song a million times. We can't do many songs because it just sounds bad with him, so we have to work for hours and hours on one song, which is very frustrating, because it overworks my voice more than needed. The only thing is, he's become a friend of mine since joining the band.

Now, there's another band with an AMAZING drummer that I once jammed with about a year ago. He learned a song he never heard perfectly by ear in about 10 minutes. Well, his band pretty much bailed on him, and now all thats left is him and their guitarist, now they need a vocalist, gutiarist, and bass player.

The only problem is they played really heavy stuff, and I won't do that. But, I remember about a year back saying he wanted to be a block party friendly band, which I do too. I'm going to talk to him about maybe merging, with me and my bassist, with him and his guitarist.

The only thing is, I don't want all the work for this current band to go to waste. I mean, we have a nice set down, we're about to record an EP next weekend, and we have some shows coming up. Now, I work 2 days a week, I have school, and a girlfriend. So I may be thinking of doing both bands, and then seeing in about a month or 2, which one I want to stick with.

What do you guys think I should do? Let me know if you have any questions about the situation, thanks.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Just say you'll get a little heavy or something not like extremely heavy, let everyone request a song that they would like to...
or, release the ep, with a final show as a farewell, and just talk it over with everyone.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
lose the sucky drummer just tell him to pick up the slack or your gonna get the other guy and lose the girlfriend cause shes just gonna get in your way too ,... then you'll be set with a good drummer cause a good drummer is a backbone to your band and you wanna have a strong , deadly backbone if you know what i mean
I'll Do What I Want !!!
Well, I am a nice guy so this may not agree with you, but I would speak with your current band (all of them) before making any decisions like such. Maybe your current drummer will be willing to throw in the extra effort your looking for if he realizes your serious. I have never really been in a band so I can't speak from experience, but from what I've seen from my friends bands, making decisions together usually works out better.
Talk to your band members. They are the ones you've made a commitment to thus far, and they are well deserving to be in the loop. Perhaps they may have some type of creative insight as to what to do.
Or...I just thought of this.LOL. You can cover Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd!

Then you will at least be venting. And no one will be the wiser...
I agree with talking with the other guys in the band first. My issue with this is that you are friends with them. I try to keep a casual friendly relationship with all band mates I have had, current ones, and future ones. I would never be in a band with a best friend. Don't be afraid to kick out your friends. If your goal is to go pro with music, you need to do what's best for the music of the band. Now if this was a band with 4 or 5 guys just jamming once in a while and having a few songs they wanted to play live, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IF you end up firing him, don't be rude about it. Just tell him what you listed on here. I also don't feel right anymore about firing someone over night. You should give him warnings now.

Side note: Be on the look out for an article I'm writing for this page dealing with relationships between your band members. Should be finished by the weekend.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Hey everyone. We have all talked about this, and I made a decision that would be best... I'm probably just going to go out with the other guys on days that we don't have practice, and that I dont work.

Basically I'll be doing 2 bands now. It'll be rough, but I think it will really progress me as a musician in the end. Besides, in one band I'm only going to play guitar, and the other I will be doing guitar and vocals. The 2 play different styles of music, so it will be 2 totally different projects.

Thanks for any help guys!
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski