i hear ppl getting the creeps since their guitar is of neck thru construction. what makes it so liable to breaking? i hear one guy b*tchin that he cant let go of his guitar cuz he fears the neck might snap. is it a case of paranoia or are neck trhoughs really risky to have?
Jackson Dk2M
LTD James Hetfield Truckster
1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom

ZOOM Fire 36
Marhsall Valvestate VS100
Black Box modeling device

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
Its just that if it breaks, its unfixable.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
unfixable????? oh crap lol
well dependign on the quiality of the guitar, it shold be bustin on ya if u take care of it right?
Jackson Dk2M

ZOOM Fire 36

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
The joints at the neck are pretty tough, so far i've never heard of a neck-thru broke half through the neck-body area. The headstock is more prone towards breaking and even so, there arent too many cases of broken headstock, just a couple here n there. Its not risky, but you sure as hell are screwed up if it were broken. So unless you sleep with your guitar/place it on a couch, then dont get it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
if your neck thru did break , like the neck snapped you could set it up for a bolt on couldn't you?
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by timmEH
if your neck thru did break , like the neck snapped you could set it up for a bolt on couldn't you?

Well, "set it up" isnt a proper word for it. You'd need to overhaul the guitar and make a new neck joint, extreme and proper calculations needed as to how deep and how thick the pocket should be, not to mention which necks should fit best inside that particular damaged guitar. Also, it depends on how much the damage had been done.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Is the chance of a neck breaking higer if you leave the strings off for a while? (since the trussrod will still ben coutering the pull of the strings, but there are no strings, so the neck gets bent backwards)
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
true madpickin. i mean like i'd play it every day or every other day, and i'd maintain it after each session (polish, clean strings, clean fretboard). so i shouldnt really have a problem with it then, right?
kirk hammet's actual guitar is neckthru i believe, and he's used the same one for years and it hasnt broke down him, so ...... lol
Jackson Dk2M

ZOOM Fire 36

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
I wouldnt worry much.....just dont throw it around.
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Quote by Dardarian
Is the chance of a neck breaking higer if you leave the strings off for a while? (since the trussrod will still ben coutering the pull of the strings, but there are no strings, so the neck gets bent backwards)

Nah, it wont harm your neck but its not advicable to leave it too long. I've left my Ibanez neck for about 6 hours or so trying to do a lil' maintenance and pickup wiring and its fine.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
TONS of guitars are neckthrus. its not that big of a worry. just if it does happen to break then your pretty much screwed.
It's often called a set neck, thru-neck is when the set neck is goes through the entire body, you can fix it if it breaks but it's expensive.
No, set-necks and neckthroughs are completely different. I have a setneck and when I went to the GC and played an Ibanez neckthrough, feels like I died and went to metal heaven (Because regular heaven would be hell for me)
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Yep, set-in necks and neck through are completely different.

Set-in necks = The neck is glued to the body at the neck joint area using strong wood adhesive.

Neck-thru = A long piece of wood from the headstock to the back of the guitar is used to accomodate the pickups and bridge, the body (term used are "wing") are glued to that long piece of wood, shaping it all to a guitar.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by timmEH

Generally, the cost to do this procedure would be more than the instrument's worth.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
i have 2 neck-thrus and have had no problems with em...i actually prefer them but some people like to buy bolt-ons for project guitars and such since you can switch out necks
First, the concern with neck-thru guitars isn't that they break easier. It's just that a neck breakage is easier to repair to new state with a bolt-on. With a bolt-on, you just remove the old neck, install the new. If you bought the correct replacement neck, you're generally ready to go after you restring. If it's a generic neck or of another brand, it may need minor shimming work or some adjustments to the nut to get it 'perfect'. But that's generally pretty minor work that anyone with a bit of knowledge can do themselves.

With a neck-thru, the body and neck are 1 piece, so that's not possible. And you can't 'set up' a neck-thru body to accept a bolt-on neck either. Same goes with a set neck guitar where the body and neck are connected via a dovetail joint and glued together. There's rarely a quick and easy repair for these, and for the most part, it will have to be professionally repaired. In many cases, if it's a low-end guitar and badly broken, it may cost more than the guitar is worth to even repair.

Now, a good guitar repair shop can repair almost any broken neck. If you have a wood-grain finish, then the repair might be visible, but it can be repaired as solid as new. With a painted neck, they can usually repaint it and make it look 100% new. However, depending on how and where the neck broke, the repair might end up affecting the tone or sustain of the guitar.

That's why some people are leary of neck-thrus and insist on bolt-ons.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Aug 25, 2006,
true. well thanks, you all make me feel a lot safer in my consideration of a few new axes, most of which were neck thru
Jackson Dk2M

ZOOM Fire 36

Digitech Whammy
Boss Metalzon
Boss SuperChorus
Boss DD3
DunlopCrybaby from Hell
hey Crunch i wouldnt say a body and neck are 1 piece. sometimes the neck can be made of up to 9 different pieces and then add the 2 wings so yeh its far from 1 piece
9? Most i saw is 5, maple/bubinga/walnut/wenge not including the wing body
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
if anything neckthrus are less likely to break than bolt-ons. Ibanez necks on neckthru guitars are made of 5 pieces, so they're very strong. as long as you don't go jumping on the neck or smashing it against the wall, it'll be fine.
Hmm, they only say its maple, so i think they glue 9 pc. of hard maple together to make it more stable and prevent neck twistage. As opposed to some companies which combines a lot of wood together.

Edwards are sickening, that MSRP is $1400....
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Hmm, they only say its maple, so i think they glue 9 pc. of hard maple together to make it more stable and prevent neck twistage. As opposed to some companies which combines a lot of wood together.

Edwards are sickening, that MSRP is $1400....

which is good or bad?????

edit: talking about your last statement the sickening section
IMO, its good in certain ways, more pieces means more stable and decreases the chance for the neck twistage or warpage while maintaining the same maple character (in this case the Edwards). Also, the 9pcs could be picked from the finest section of tree so that its grain could produce better tone (probably science bull**** probably not).

Some necks, like from Ibanez, combines a lot of wood such as bubinga/wenge/walnut which is commonly sandwiched between maples to provide more character to the sound while maintaning its stability.

Well at least thats what i think...btw the Edwards design of the pickup kinda reminds me of Tagima
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
meh reminds me of some older ESP's and some Caparison guitars which is what they are based off with 27 frets
Also, forgot to add, maples pieces that are flatsawn from the orignal tree are more prone to twist and warp rather than quartersawn technique.

Sick bindings by Edwards
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
yep still no word on an official Edwards distributor in Australia and word wont be in until end of year most likely cant wait til we get one so then i can buy a couple of them.