Yes, I will sound like a complete newb, and that's what I am when it comes to guitars.

Anyways, due to my firewall going berserk, the only pages I can access are the ones on my Favourites, so I can't perform a search of this either ;_;

I've heard the terms tremolo-, alternate- and sweep-picking. Could someone explain the differences between these and how each one is performed, and I'd be very thankful.

----
tremolo is very fast picking of one note, eg, a tremolo picked 5th fret would look like this on a tab E ---555555555555555555555- etc

alternate is just up and down strokes one one string

sweep picking is just giong up and down the strings, a tab would look something like

E------12-10-----------------------------------------------12-13---
B-------------14-13-11--------------11-12--14--------------------
G----------------------------11--9-8----------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------------------

you get the picture
Member #15 of the 'Guitarists born in 1991 club' PM blues_rocker greendayguitar or gdm09 to join.
Quote by cockzit
I also told a girl I knew how to make bombs and I was suspended from school. I hate snitches, I swear.

LOLZNESS
^Uh no. That explanation is really, complete and utter bollocks, to be honest.

Tremolo picking - Picking one note very fast for the duration of that note in that beat.

Alternate picking - Using a strict up and down picking pattern.

Sweep picking - Use a consecutive up or down stroke to pick across the strings.

Those are very short descriptions, if you want a detailed explanation with tabs, I'll oblige.
Quote by buddy_bomber
tremolo is very fast picking of one note, eg, a tremolo picked 5th fret would look like this on a tab E ---555555555555555555555- etc

alternate is just up and down strokes one one string

sweep picking is just giong up and down the strings, a tab would look something like

E------12-10-----------------------------------------------12-13---
B-------------14-13-11--------------11-12--14--------------------
G----------------------------11--9-8----------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------------------

you get the picture

wrong!

I cant code at work, so i cant show you what sweeping looks like. Search the lessons on this site for exact ways to sweep.