Hey! Im in a band and were gonna be playing gigs at small venues soon so I had two amps in mind the MG100HDFX and the Line 6 Spider II 150W Head. Now donw tell me they both suck and too get a JCM or a DSL cuz i dont havet hmoney for that. Im looknig for a head around 300-500 dollars. Both of them fit into the price range. Now can ya guys please compare and contrast them cuz so far i hear the Line 6 head is better than the MG. Ok thanks!
Mg Is actually not bad. I have a 10cd and It's pretty good. but you should get a mesa in that price range.
right, well, ill be the first.

don't get either of them, they are aweful, especially for the money you pay, get a tube combo, i'm not sure about the prices in canada but in the UK, you can get a decent tube combo for the same price as the line 6 and MG. go to a shop and say you want a tube combo, max $500. play everything they have and get what suits you the best.

and if you've got your heart set on one of those 2, sorry to be you, and you do realise when you buy a head you have to buy a cab aswell - a head without a cab is like a car without wheels - it wont do anything. and you'll break the head.

EDIT: damn, beaten. don't listen to this guy ^^, the MGs aren't bad, for bedroom practice if they MUST used. but for any other application, they're horrid, and with that budget you can't get a mesa, not even one that doesn't work.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

If those are the ONLY two your going to look at...take the MG. As bad as it is, keep in mind, its still a Marshall. The Spyder is so quiet, and the affects are cheap.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Although Marshalls are famous for their superior Tube Amps, their Solid State series (MG) are sub-standard. Line 6 (spider II) is beter, but is still unfavorable as their tones sound synthetic.

Vox make excellent modeling amps, far beter than Marshall or Line 6. Their AD series are excelent, and for that budget the AD100H Head is not a bad choice.

But honestly, for maybe a couple hundred $$ more you could easily get a used Marshall JCM, Mesa Boogie, or any other All Tube Head, on ebay.
Last edited by zenjirou at Aug 25, 2006,
Yes, please, for your own good, don't get either.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
"Which peice of sh*t smells better?"

There are better choices out there.

First of all, you could get yourself a nice, maybe used, tube combo for that price.

Secondly, I don't know your exact situation, but a half stak is probably overkill for you.

If neither has persuaded you otherwise... try looking into a Randall perhaps. My entire halfstack was $800 CAN and it is a much better sounding amp than either of those.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Get the Peavey Valveking head or combo if you don't have a good cab. 50w combo 1x12 is about 440.00 w/ footswitch, add 50 for a Boss SD1 overdrive pedal and your set. The 100w head is $500.00, but 50 watts of tube tone is all you need right now bro, until you hit the arenas. Look into Musiciansfriend.com.
Haha, this makes me laugh. Why would anyone in their right mind buy such garbage? There is NO reason whatsoever you should buy Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider II. No reason at all. None. The fact that you even considered it proves your ignorance. Yogurt. I can't beleive you.
$3-500 is a very small price range. It would cost more than a couple hundred bucks more to get something like a Mesa or a nice Marshall. However, I'm assuming that you already have a cab as you are only looking at getting a head? If not, then deffintely go for a tube combo. It'll be just as loud, sound much better, and be a lot more portable. If you do already own a cab, then something like a Peavey Valveking or Vox AD100VT head would be a way better choice of amp. Even combo wise, a Peavey Valveking 112 would be plenty loud for gigs (louder than either of those half-stacks you listed), and would be well under $500. The tone would be far better too. Here's a couple links:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

And here's sound clips:

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/number/00575640/cat/308/begin/1/ValveKing%AE+112+Combo.cfm

And if you think you NEED a half-stack:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
why the **** did you have to pick those TWO AMPS
couldnt you have picked ANY other two amps in the world instead?!?
a head in your price range that is OK is the Ibanez TB100H, just dont get the matching cab, the cab falls apart
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Aug 25, 2006,
Why do you need a Stack? Unless you already have a cab then get a good combo rather than a bad Halfstack
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Go try everything and pick the amp that's right for you. If you feel the line6 amp is in your best interests, then get it, but make sure you play the hell out of it before you walk out of the store with it, and take your band with you for their opinion of your tone as well. For your money though, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is well within your range, and it's got great projection. In the used market, you've got the Mesa Heartbreaker and .50 cal, both are great amps for rock. What type of music do you play?
It doesn't matter, get either. They're suitable amps.

However as a favor to the audience when before you play your first note, shoot every last one of them in the head and make sure they're all definitly dead. You'll be doing them a favor.

That said, get a tube combo.
^I don't know...

I think I'd MUCH rather listen to a Spider II than be part of a mass brutal slaughtering...

But hey, that's just me.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

umm well...out of those two i'd go for the line 6 if your playing metal, but anything else there both crap
if your playing classical music then go for a vox valvetronix head, or anything else the randall heads are pretty good,

im guessing you have a cab, get a tube combo w/ speaker out, then use the cab with that, then you'll have a stack
Quote by sg-rocker173
^I don't know...

I think I'd MUCH rather listen to a Spider II than be part of a mass brutal slaughtering...

But hey, that's just me.

It was just a way of saying that MGs and Spiders suck...balls...a lot.
Get the Valveking Combo. Dont Get either.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
I have a feeling this is a joke, but anyway. Yea just save up for a nice tube combo, or get a vox or randall head. Don't get either of those two. Please?
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I got my JCM900 head plus 212 cab for 400$, less then a new MG50DFX. Id say a Valveking is good if you buy new, otherwise check out used Marshall JCM's. If it doesnt have to be a head check out Traynor amps.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Trust me i aint kidding. And if this helps, tjhe music i play is punk music or hard rock. I have a Boss MT-2 pedal but if i get the line 6 i will buy a footswitch. So i hear i should not get either. Also when im talknig about the 300-500 price range i mean head only. Cabinet i dont worry about. So ya. This is no joke. Im in a band and i want something decent to play gigs. I hear tube amps are good but arent they over 1000 dollars?
Both amps suck.

Your MT-2 sucks.

Modelling amps don't work well with pedals.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?N=100001+306262+10&page=1

theres a list of heads that are avalible to you in that price range, I recomend the Vox or the Peavey. Both the Marshalls suck. I still say just get a tube combo and then if you must have a stack just unplug it from its speaker and plug into a different cabnet. You underestimate tube power if you think it will be too quiet. If you absolutey presist about getting a head, get one of the tube heads listed there, or maybe the Vox.
Quote by 182_generation
Trust me i aint kidding. And if this helps, tjhe music i play is punk music or hard rock. I have a Boss MT-2 pedal but if i get the line 6 i will buy a footswitch. So i hear i should not get either. Also when im talknig about the 300-500 price range i mean head only. Cabinet i dont worry about. So ya. This is no joke. Im in a band and i want something decent to play gigs. I hear tube amps are good but arent they over 1000 dollars?

you do know that if you turn on a head with no cab attached to it then your head is screwed, right?

edit: wait, do you already have a cab?

like everyone said, go for a valveking combo. its in your range and its a tube amp. it will be loud enough for about anything. unless your band suddenly starts playing arenas or something in the next few days...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Both amps suck.

Your MT-2 sucks.

Modelling amps don't work well with pedals.

every day you get more blunt.

every day i smile.

I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Short and sweet! No time for beating around the bush, thar be guitar'n to be a do'n!!!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!