ive got an old marshall vs100, can you change the valve and will it make any difference to the tone of the amp?
I've yet to see a single tube amp that didn't have the possibility to changes valves. They need to be replaced every so often when they start to sound dull. So yeah it's possible.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
cheers. could i replace it with any valve or would it have to be the same as the current one?
Yes the pre-amp valves need changing, and choice of valves is up to you, although it needs to be the same type of valve.
Quote by Dardarian
I've yet to see a single tube amp that didn't have the possibility to changes valves. They need to be replaced every so often when they start to sound dull. So yeah it's possible.

The Valvestate isn't a tube amp. It has a single 12ax7 in the preamp.

And yes, you should change it, it makes a pretty big difference if youve got an old tube in there.
swap out the old preamp tube with a new Ruby 12AX7ACZ-selected.
its real high gain and will improve the sound tremendously.

i have 2 valvestate 8200 bichorus200 heads and a valvestate vs100 head that i did that too and damn...
Quote by electrik
The Valvestate isn't a tube amp. It has a single 12ax7 in the preamp.

And yes, you should change it, it makes a pretty big difference if youve got an old tube in there.

It's still a tube-amp. Just a tube/SS hybrid.
Quote by SolidxSnake
It's still a tube-amp. Just a tube/SS hybrid.

Then it's not a tube amp is it? It's a tube/SS hybrid.
lol. It doesnt deserve to be called tube unless its power amp. Id rather have a SS preamp and a tube poweramp instead of vice versa
Quote by llanafreak44
lol. It doesnt deserve to be called tube unless its power amp. Id rather have a SS preamp and a tube poweramp instead of vice versa

Why? Tone is shaped in the pre-amp stage.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

not fully true, the warmth of the tone and the natural sound comes from the power amp, and with the tube power amp it will sound better turned up not worse
Quote by Archeo Avis

But the case of hybrid amps, the tube doesn't do much other than warming the tone up a bit.
in the morning when i come back from the studio, I Will record my VS100 without tube on clean then distorted then with an effects pedal. I will put a brand new tube in and repeat the process......
then everyone here can be the judge see you@ 7:00 am sept 12 2016
necro...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/