Is this as simple as plugging a wire from the output of the amp, using a 1/4 to 1/8inch jack and plugging into your soundcard?

Is it that simple or do you need some more stuff for the amp?

Also could you recommend any good software?
pretty much, yeah

and i use acid pro 2.0
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Audacity is free, not that bad to record with either.
There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. - A.J
------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slashs_#1_fan to join.
In most cases, though, recording direct like that results in a thin, sort of artificial tone. With some tweaking, you can do well with some of the amp modelling like the Vamp, Pod, etc. There is also a *wicked* freeware VST plugin called simulanalog that takes you *clean* guitar track, recorded straight through the board, and makes it sound like it was recorded with a JCM800. Modelled tracks on their own aren't *quite* as good as you'll want them to be, but mixed in with a couple of miked guitar tracks, they can be really sweet.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.