Page 1 of 27
READ FIRST

Well, i say it's time for a new Harry Potter thread, after my attempts at finding the previous failed. I'm sure a lot of you hate Harry Potter and wish no more than to see him die in the last book, well save your breath - please don't curse and flame. I can't stand the movies that are out since they were poorly made and missed out a lot of things. Then again, most film adaptations are a poor comparison to an original book.

I like the idea of Hogwarts, granted, it's not so original and somewhat cliche, although J.K Rowling has expanded it into so much more, more than anyone else could have. I like reading the books the most. I'm not ashamed of reading children's books. They are entertaining and I couldn't really give a **** to those who flame.

Lately, i've been really into the books since I re-read the whole series, back to front - but anyway. Well, feel free to discuss. I'll be calling in a moderator to eye this thread so please don't flame otherwise you'll find yourself with a warning, or perhaps a banning from them - honestly, it ruins everything and i'd hate it if it all gets ugly.

Discuss

EDIT: Oh, before I forget, you should only view this thread if you've read every Harry Potter book. Spoilers will occur.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Aug 25, 2006,
Anyone here read all the books?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 25, 2006,
stephen king > JK rowling

allthough i have read all the HP books, and enjoyed each one
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I read all the books up to number 5 when I was younger, 5 was ****e though. I want to re-read them with that harry potters "Wang" thing though.

To be honest, I think they were all pretty boring. Good that it makes younger kids read 70000000000000000000000000000 page long books though.
Yes I have and the third movie even though it is absolutely nothing like the book is still pretty good.
The fourth movie had some highly uncomfortable scenes.
Dancing in your dust, I'll see ya...
i have
and though i hide it i love the world she has created, i feel so at home in the griffindor common room and in the banquet hall, and all the corridors and the grounds. its all so vivid to me.
i think the way she has developed the books is........ interesting but i felt that simply killing off a character in every book doesnt make it darker. of course dumbledor dying is a biggie and the reprocussions of it will be felt in the final book definately. my fave has to be goblet of fire purely because of the triwizard tournament interwining with the vodemort ressurection.

i think how shes has developed the characters to be slightly sketchy in places but yet the books remain solid and definitive in a series that children have grown up with.

forgive spelling mistakes and such, im full of caffene

so what do people think will happen in the last book?

i think hogwarts will be the battleground for the final duel. and snape becomes the dark enemy we all knew he would be all along.....
Fissh demands you cease this faggotry at once!
I like the books, I'm eagerly waiting for the 7th one too. But here's some fun in the meantime, read Hitler's story, Voldemort's story of his life is the same as Hitler's o_O
Quote by ScalyGuitarrist
I like the books, I'm eagerly waiting for the 7th one too. But here's some fun in the meantime, read Hitler's story, Voldemort's story of his life is the same as Hitler's o_O

really?
cool!

does anyone else feel sad after they read the 6th. where it doesnt end happily damn that book almost cost me my GCSEs, i read it instead of revising :P

whens the 7th book coming out btw?
Fissh demands you cease this faggotry at once!
To those who have said that Dumbledore isn't dead, he is. In book 6, kids have taken to believe that the secret conversation between Snape and Dumbledore that Harry couldn't hear properly, meant that they were planning the whole event (that Snape zaps Dumbledore to pretend he died or for whatever reason). Furthermore, when Snape and Dumbledore had a confrontation with each other, J.K Rowling adds that Dumbledore looked at Snape in a funny way, adding emphasis on the words, "Please, don't kill me".

It was said from the horses mouth herself, Dumbledore is dead.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Ginnys a bitch.

You dont know how bored I am to look so far into crap books such as these and withdraw any opinoin other than the fact I thought they were shit.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by fissh

and snape becomes the dark enemy we all knew he would be all along.....

That already happened!!!

I love the Harry Potter series and can't wait for the next book.

What do you think JK Rowling will do after the series has finished? She said she was working on another adult novel a while ago but i can't imagine it being anything more than a run of the mill story you see evrywhere in borders.
Need.New.Sig.
they said the 7th book might come out on 7/7/07, since 7 is such an important number, like, 7 horcruxes, 7 parts to Voldemorts soul, 7 years at hogwarts and 7 being the most magical number.

Harry Potter PWNS
KID A.
I've read all 6 books, can't wait for the 7th. I'd like to figure out more about the horcruxes.

I wish the movies had kept more stuff, but they are all two and a half hours long as it is, so I can take cutting parts out of a story as a trade off for it not being five hours long.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
voldermort kills dumbledore and nevielle longbottom is the chosen 1 there u go u dont have to read them now
zakk wylde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by sloppyjoe24
you can't trust girls on the internet because 75% of the time, they're actually men!
I read somewhere that Harry Potter dies because he's a fag in the 7:th book. Is it any truth in this?

jallas edit: way to go jackass, have a warning.
Quote by aprescott_27
I've read all 6 books, can't wait for the 7th. I'd like to figure out more about the horcruxes.
I wish the movies had kept more stuff, but they are all two and a half hours long as it is, so I can take cutting parts out of a story as a trade off for it not being five hours long.

i bet harry is the last horcrux. or at least his scar is. /discuss
i have read all of them, i didn't like movies that much because i dont like that daniel guy who plays harry but i like the actors who play ron and hermione and the adult characters..
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Great! A place where I can spread all my geekiness!

Anyways, I'm really REALLY excited for the last book, I have read the first 6.....

What is your favorite/least favorite book from the series?

Favorite:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

It's because the story flows more fluently than all the previous books, every single detail was relevant to the story, no fillers, no bullshit. And it was the most exciting and fun to read of all the Harry Potter books.

Least Favorite:
Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix

Why you ask? I didnt understand ANYTHING from it, I even had to re-read it a second time to fully understand the plot. And when Sirius died? Fuck that, I didnt even know when he died, I just read Harry go "NOOOO! SIRIUS ISNT DEAD!!", and I'm like "FUCK! Sirius is already dead? When the fuck did this shit happen?!"

I really do hope it goes out on 7/7/07...
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
the first books pwns, the last became so ****in deep and mystic it's not even interesting.
And Harry Potter is a ****in' idiot.
@Harrys scar being a horcrux... a good idea but not realy possible. How could a mark be a horcrux? But Harry could be, since it's thought Nagini is one then I suppose another living creature could be. And it would make sense that as soon as the curse backfired on Harry Voldemort lost his powers and Harry gained some of his powers (being a parselmouth etc).
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I think Harry's gonna have to die at the end. Voldemort marked him as an equal, so one cannot totally overcome the other without a self-sacrifice. Sorta like Neo and Agent Smith in the Matrix.

Yes, I like Harry Potter. I'm not ashamed to admit it.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Why does everyone call Harry a half-blood? Both his parents were magical.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Quote by blues_rocker
Why does everyone call Harry a half-blood? Both his parents were magical.

Because his mom was a muggle-born, so her blood wasn't "pure."
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote by Quintessence153
Because his mom was a muggle-born, so her blood wasn't "pure."

I thought that was it. Thanks.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
i spent many hours on that site after i finished reading the 6th book. unbelievable books, the only ones i can read, yet cant put them down. im not sure if dumbledores dead, some part of me thinks hes not but im fairly sure he is. as for snape, i made a 10$ bet with someone that he's bad, he thinks he's good and it was all a plan to get them to think snapes on the bad side. cant wait for 7th
http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com

Cool site, but I doubt it's true

I've been there before...pretty interesting stuff there. But it somehow seems to go against the unbreakable promise Snape made at the beginning of book 6...idk

Think Harry's gonna use magic against the Dursleys before he leaves? I'd like to see that happen. And I'd like to see him curse Malfoy somehow.

I've read books 1-6. IMO, I think Rowling left the seque into the 7th book extremely broad. I'm thinking the last book is gonna have to be like a 3 book encyclopedia just to answer all the questions, and to resolve the plot.

Killing Dumbledore was kinda stupid IMO. He should have been killed by someone more noble. But meh.

And as for the movies, the first two movies were good. The other two were awful. They were directed by someone other than the guy who did the 1st two. 3 and 4 didn't even follow the book terribly well. My mom (who hasn't read the books) didn't understand the 3rd movie because it left a lot of stuff out that the book explained.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

<JonJonB> Purely in the interests of science, I have replaced the word "wand" with "wang" in the first Harry Potter Book
<JonJonB> Let's see the results...

<JonJonB> "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" asked Harry.
<JonJonB> "Oh, well -- I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wang in half an' everything

<JonJonB> A magic wang... this was what Harry had been really looking forward to.

<JonJonB> "Yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Harry Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was in here herself, buying her first wang. Ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wang for charm work."
<JonJonB> "Your father, on the other hand, favored a mahogany wang. Eleven inches. "

<JonJonB> Harry took the wang. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wang above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls

<JonJonB> "Oh, move over," Hermione snarled. She grabbed Harry's wang, tapped the lock, and whispered, 'Alohomora!"

<JonJonB> The troll couldn't feel Harry hanging there, but even a troll will notice if you stick a long bit of wood up its nose, and Harry's wang had still been in his hand when he'd jumped - it had gone straight up one of the troll's nostrils.

<JonJonB> He bent down and pulled his wang out of the troll's nose. It was covered in what looked like lumpy gray glue.

<JonJonB> He ran onto the field as you fell, waved his wang, and you sort of slowed down before you hit the ground. Then he whirled his wang at the dementors. Shot silver stuff at them.

<JonJonB> Ok
<JonJonB> I have found, definitive proof
<JonJonB> that J.K Rowling is a dirty DIRTY woman, making a fool of us all
<JonJonB> "Yes," Harry said, gripping his wang very tightly, and moving into the middle of the deserted classroom. He tried to keep his mind on flying, but something else kept intruding.... Any second now, he might hear his mother again... but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her again, and he didn't want to... or did he?
<melusine > O_______O
<JonJonB> Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end of his wang

<JonJonJonB> Then, with a sigh, he raised his wang and prodded the silvery substance with its tip.

<JonJonJonB> 'Get - off - me!' Harry gasped. For a few seconds they struggled, Harry pulling at his uncles sausage-like fingers with his left hand, his right maintaining a firm grip on his raised wang.
My Spanish Hearts
^ lmao

Personally, I don't believe that Dumbledore's dead. I mean Snape? Dumbledore can stand up to Voldemort, but snape can kill him? Isn't Dumbledore dying a perfect cover so Dumbledore can continue to fight Voldemort without the ministry invading?

Oh yeah, I heard that the 7th book was out too, but they'll wait a bit before releasing it.
im a huge fan of HP proud to say.

But infact in the last book Harry does die. One of them has to die
And because there are only going to be 7 books says so J.K. Rowling...

So...he dies

I must add

www.mugglenet.com

shows all the rumors and out rules them and such.

And yes dumbledore is really dead. Snape used the killing curse. he can't fight that even if it is the killing curse.
Last edited by x/taluha at Aug 26, 2006,
They're good books. I like them. The writing isn't outstanding, but the plot and the charm of the characters and setting more than make up for it.

I have them all. The best one, i think, was the fourth. The beginning of the fifth pissed me off so much. It was like ten chapters in and i was like "fucking get to hogwarts already!".
Quote by grimreaper65
They're good books. I like them. The writing isn't outstanding, but the plot and the charm of the characters and setting more than make up for it.

I have them all. The best one, i think, was the fourth. The beginning of the fifth pissed me off so much. It was like ten chapters in and i was like "fucking get to hogwarts already!".

Harry Potter hasn't really expanded my vocabulary much, but the plot intricacies are really great and can compensate, as can the characters and character development.

I think my favorite was the fourth, too. Harry was sort of a hothead in the fifth book, and he always stubbornly yelled at his friends for his own problems...but he calmed down in book six, thankfully.
Quote by x/taluha
im a huge fan of HP proud to say.

But infact in the last book Harry does die. One of them has to die
And because there are only going to be 7 books says so J.K. Rowling...

So...he dies

I must add

www.mugglenet.com

shows all the rumors and out rules them and such.

And yes dumbledore is really dead. Snape used the killing curse. he can't fight that even if it is the killing curse.

Taken from http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com:

As soon as I read the description of exactly what happened the moment that Snape dellik Dumbledore, little red flags were popping up in my brain, but I didn't pay attention to them at first. This was actually the very first clue that alerted me to this whole thing.

Every other time we've seen the Avada Kedavra performed, the victim simply falls overdaed :

He was screaming so loudly that he never heard the words the thing in the chair spoke as it raised a wand. There was a flash of green light, a rushing sound, and Frank Bryce crumbled. He was daed before he hit the floor. (GoF pg 15/19)

From high above his head, he heard a high, cold voice say, "lliK the spare." A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!" A blast of green light blazed through Harry's eyelids, and he heard something heavy fall to ground beside him. Cedric was lying spread-eagled on the ground beside him. He was daed. (GoF pg 638/553)

However, in Half-Blood Prince, when Snape curses Dumbledore with the same spell, Dumbledore violently flies up and away from the tower:

Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore. "Avada Kedavra!" A jet of green light shot from the end of Snape's wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest. Harry's scream of horror never left him; silently he was forced to watch as Dumbledore was blasted into the air. For a split second, he seemed to hang suspended beneath the shining skull, and then he slowly fell backward, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight. (HBP pg 596/556)

Why would this application of the Avada Kedavra be so different from every other time we've seen it?

Perhaps his spell was different because even though those were the words Snape said, he didn't perform the killing curse at all. Remember all the importance this book gave to "nonverbal" spells? Perhaps Snape said Avada Kedavra, but the curse he was really thinking, the nonverbal one, was a different curse, one that only made it appear that Dumbledore was daed.

The possibilty that Snape said one curse and cast another nonverbally might not be as likely if we couldn't recognize the curse that was really cast, but we can! Thanks to Brave Sir Blogger and Lindsay for bringing these passages to my attention:

Both of them swung their wands above their heads and pointed them at their opponent; Snape cried: "Expelliarmus!" There was a dazzling flash of scarlet light and Lockhart was blasted off his feet: He flew backward off the stage, smashed into the wall, and slid down it to sprawl on the floor. (CoS pg 190/142)

Harry made up his mind in a split second. Before Snape could take even one step toward him, he had raised his wand. "Expelliarmus!" he yelled -- except that his wasn't the only voice that shouted. There was a blast that made the door rattle on its hinges; Snape was lifted off his feet and slammed into the wall, then slid down it to the floor, a trickle of blood oozing from under his hair. He had been knocked out. Harry looked around. Both Ron and Hermione had tried to disarm Snape at exactly the same moment. (PoA pg 361/265)

In these examples from Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban, different wizards are issuing the Expelliarmus spell with the results being described almost exactly the same way, the victim being voilenty blasted up and backwards. This also happens to be similar to the description of when Dumbledore is attacked up in the tower. So, even though Snape said Avada Kedavra, the evidence from the books shows that the nonverbal curse he cast was Expelliarmus!

Even the title of the chapter this all takes place in is suspicous, "The Lightning-Struck Tower". Even though this is the name of the ominous tarot card that Trelawney was worried about back on page 543/507 in chapter 25, is it possible that J.K. is hinting here that the spell was not Avada Kedavra, but some other spell that had lightening-type effects instead?

But there is even another clue that Dumbledore's flying off the tower that night was a prearranged ruse between himself and Snape. Back in chapter nineteen, when Harry orders Dobby and Kreacher to follow Malfoy around in an effort to figure out what he was up to, Dobby replies:

"Yes, Harry Potter!" said Dobby at once, his great eyes shining with excitement. "And if Dobby does it wrong, Dobby will throw himself off the topmost tower, Harry Potter!" (HBP pg 422/395)

Notice, Dobby says "throw himself", not something like "you can throw me". Also, Dobby specifically mentions "the topmost tower", exactly the place where the "htaed" of Dumbledore later occurs in the same way.

Now, even though we know Dobby gets around and probably hears a lot of things he shouldn't in the castle, we're not suggesting Dumbledore could so easily slip up and let Dobby be privy to such a secret plan. But what we are suggesting is that J.K. is not above using something Dobby says to plant a clue for us that later on in the story it would be Dumbledore, himself, who planned the whole htaed cherade, and caused himself, or arranged for himself, to be thrown from the top of the tallest Astronomy tower.

Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
When is the next one coming out?

I've read all the books, but I feel they've gone down in quality with each progressive one. The story is up and down, but the writing itself has gone down in quality.

The idea was good, but I think Rowling gets a bit too much praise. The books are enjoyable reads, especially the earlier ones. She's created a nice little world to escape in. And thats about it. She didn't reinvent the wheel for fucks sake!
http://www.veritaserum.com/forums/index.php? Harry Potter forums. I personally am a huge (secret) Harry Potter nerd. I think Dumbledore is dead, but Sirius isn't. I got a feeling that the Department of Mysteries is going to play a HUGE role in the 7th book. I mean, JK only introduced it in the 5th book, and the subject of it was only scraped. What was said can't be all there is to it, and considering there was little mention of it in the 6th book, I think Rowling was saving it for the 7th. My theory about Snape however is that he is still true to the Order, and him killing Dumbledore was a conspiracy between the two of them. It would make sense, Dumbledore offered Draco lots of protection. I think it would make sense if Dumbledore had told Snape that if it came down to it and Draco wasn't going to take any offers of protection, Snape was to kill him first. That way Snape stayed true to the Unbreakable Vow, and Malfoy didn't become a murderer and hunted by the ministry for use of an Unforgivable Curse. Does it not say something about Snape and Dumbledore staring hard at each other for a few seconds before the curse was cast? Legillimancy anyone? Dumbledore was an accomplished Occlumens, but he could just not use it and speak to Snape through thought. As for Dumbledore pleaing with Snape, other Death Eaters were present and it would make sense for Dumbledore to put on an act, as well as Snape. The look on his face is described as "the look of purest loathing etched in every crease" or something to that effect.

Anyways, I'd go on and on about Harry Potter but it's 4 a.m. and I need to go to sleep. But don't worry, that's not the last of my theories and thoughts!!

ManWithoutAEdit: Oh yeah, and the 7/7/07 release date was disproved. It was the original set date, but it's going to be later now cause of some complications with editing and writing and junk.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
Last edited by ManWithoutAHat at Aug 26, 2006,
^ Wow, I never thought of that.....

ManWithoutAHat, I love you.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?