Just curious, but how many of you play most rock songs in the Eb tuning? to me it just sounds better when almost all rock riffs are in Eb.

Also, do you leave your guitar in Eb tuning when your done playing, or do you tune it back to E.
i play the rock song in eb tuning if the song in question is in that tuning.
its a good idea to leave it like that if you want to keep it like that
My band uses Eb tuning, it makes things easier on vocals. SRV used Eb tuning most of the time as did Hendrix eventually. U2 also goes down a half step for most of the their songs now since Bono doesn't have the same voice. Theres really only two reasons to play in Eb, because it makes the vocals easier or because you want a heavier sound (If you want the latter then I recomend tuning to C#F#BEG#C# because it is down a minor 3rd making everything sound darker and heavier).
Quote by thebrewfan
My band uses Eb tuning, it makes things easier on vocals. SRV used Eb tuning most of the time as did Hendrix eventually. U2 also goes down a half step for most of the their songs now since Bono doesn't have the same voice. Theres really only two reasons to play in Eb, because it makes the vocals easier or because you want a heavier sound (If you want the latter then I recomend tuning to C#F#BEG#C# because it is down a minor 3rd making everything sound darker and heavier).

U2 does? On which songs off their new album? My bands does Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from your table and All because of you and they're all standard tuning. Just curious, maybe I'm not hearing it.
Quote by thebrewfan

C# tuning is awsome to mess around with. kinda why i like a perfect circle a lot, they use that tuning and it definately stands out.

also i find that playing simple chord progressions in Eb just sounds nicer. for example, play the alice in chains song "nutshell" in standard E, then play it in Eb. you'll see Eb just sounds much better.

Quote by JamesKid3
C# tuning is awsome to mess around with. kinda why i like a perfect circle a lot, they use that tuning and it definately stands out.

also i find that playing simple chord progressions in Eb just sounds nicer. for example, play the alice in chains song "nutshell" in standard E, then play it in Eb. you'll see Eb just sounds much better.

My band uses C# too. I love it. It's fun to mess around with and just those extra few notes can change your sound so much.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by demea
U2 does? On which songs off their new album? My bands does Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from your table and All because of you and they're all standard tuning. Just curious, maybe I'm not hearing it.

They don't use it much on their new album I don't think but if you listen to to them live most of it is down a half step, an example of this would be the song 'Bad', this is because the high note (C#5) is out of Bono's range so they tune down a half step (making the high note a C5 or high C)making it barely in his range on a good day, though Bono tends to have a lot of good days. 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' is in Eb tuning and so is 'New Years Day' as well as a lot of songs off of that album. I think 'Bullet the Blue Sky' might also be down a half step and they do 'Pride(in the name of love)' down a half step live now. I don't have a clue about the new stuff as I can't really stand it.
My band uses Half step up with high-e tuned down to Middle c so no idea.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.