Hey guys, me again doing some jazzy(Fusion) improv this time around. I really have no expierience in this field in terms of playing but I did it as a fun thing and hopefully break the barrier. Any crit or comments much appreciated. Thanks

Links in my sig.
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
Last edited by paddyo at Aug 25, 2006,
it was pretty cool, but it isn't very much like jazz.

How long have you been playing?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
yea it's not jazz at all, its pretty good though, the rhythm got boring after a while though
Its more Fusion based which is a very abstract form of jazz.

I've been playing three years.

More constructive crit please? That was good(while its nice to hear) doesnt really help. No offense to you..
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
for some reason i feel like the guitar was somehow micd, like the actual guitar. you hear the tone which is good, but you hear the raw strings for some reason too

pretty cool. sound much better with more back up. like the tone and all
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
Really getting the sound of the actual strings... I like it though.

The fast playing seems mostly good, it could be cleaned up in a few places but overall nice.

My main issue: the backup is one chord so far. I would like to hear some drums and bass too, but the first thing that would improve it for me is to have a little variety in the chords.

It seems like you're exploring what can be done over one chord, which is good, but even using long sections of a chord and switching to another chord after a while would help vary it. Also, look into different comping patterns for the piano: it's the same rhythm, same inversion.

It doesn't seem very fusion-y to me, but I still like it. What fusion do you listen to? This might give me an idea of what you're trying to go for.

Basically, my issue is with the background variety, not so much the guitar playing, which is good. You have some pretty good control on the guitar.

mine es here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418431
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I really like the lead sound. It's got a nice jazzy touch to it, but not too much. Great for fusion. The rhythm part, however, got quite boring and tedious. The lead part was great though, I'd say redo it with a more interesting rhythm and youll have an A+ recording. BTW, your Far Beyond the Sun was amazing.

crit for crit?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6620687#post6620687
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Your phrasing sounds too hurried. You had basically only those fast runs. So slow down and concentrate more on making interesting melodies and themes. Quite a few bad notes too.

You need to have more variation in the backing. Try searching for some jazz backings.

It wasn't very jazzy, but decent playing anyway, I guess.
Crit while I listen...

Awesome lead guitar work by the way. The keys did get really old, really quickly. Maybe practice on that chord for a while, like you've done, then practice on a few more chords... one at a time. Then just do a simple progression through the chords linking all your improv lead parts together.

Will keep the listener interested and allow you to do some fancy playing through the transitions. Good recording quality and great tone.

Crit mine? - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422741
and if you get some time, my second one. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422756
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Marshall JCM900, 1960a Quad
Boss EQ-7, CS-3, TU-2, DS-1, DD-3, TR-2
Ibanez TS-9, Presonus TubePre/Comp16
Last edited by zedar at Aug 28, 2006,
Quote by paddyo
Its more Fusion based which is a very abstract form of jazz.

I've been playing three years.

More constructive crit please? That was good(while its nice to hear) doesnt really help. No offense to you..

. . .
Whoa Padyo...I don't visit these forums very often (I'm a pit head) but I'm listening to your Far Beyond The Sun cover about 2:30 in and....you are AMAZING....you've inspired me to go practice more!!!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.