when you re-string your guitar, furniture polish and a piece of tissue usually does the job really well
Member #15 of the 'Guitarists born in 1991 club' PM blues_rocker greendayguitar or gdm09 to join.
Quote by cockzit
I also told a girl I knew how to make bombs and I was suspended from school. I hate snitches, I swear.

LOLZNESS
i heard furniture polish/lemon oil isnt good. any truth to this?
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
Quote by buddy_bomber
when you re-string your guitar, furniture polish and a piece of tissue usually does the job really well

Yup. This is how I use it:
1) Run a paper towel under the faucet, then squeeze 'til it's almost dry.
2) Lightly spray furniture polish on the fretboard, from about 2 feet away (Covering the pickups is a good idea, 'cause if they get wet, that's another area you have to wipe down.)
3) Scrub the fretboard with the damp paper towel, especially alongside each fret--that's grime-city
4) Wipe under each string with the paper towel between your thumb-nail and the string--squeaky clean!
5) Finish by wiping the string tops, neck and body
Currently co-designing a powerful, analog Eq-Amp-Sim. with www.dreamtonefx.com. (PM me for details rather than Dreamtone please.)
Last edited by tocs100 at Aug 27, 2006,
well i guess but u can do that, but the Best way...

if its maple then guitar polish (because the neck is finished.)
if its other than maple then fretboard oil, like lemon, a couple times a year.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by guitar_nate
i heard furniture polish/lemon oil isnt good. any truth to this?

Yes. Its not good. If youre desperate, one time is probably ok. But furniture polish and lemon oil can loosen the pores in the wood which might let the natural oils of the wood out which can ruin a good neck.

The best way to clean your fretboard/neck is with the right kind of stuff from a music store. Costs like what...$3.99?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Yes. Its not good. If youre desperate, one time is probably ok. But furniture polish and lemon oil can loosen the pores in the wood which might let the natural oils of the wood out which can ruin a good neck.

The best way to clean your fretboard/neck is with the right kind of stuff from a music store. Costs like what...$3.99?

I think what actually happens is that the lemon oil actually evaporates and has a drying effect on the wood when what you really want to do is clean and moisturize the fretboard with a good polish that preserves the wood by sticking around . . .
Inventory of My Addiction:
Gibson Les Paul Voodoo
'93 American Standard Tele
STHAC Texas Havana
Epiphone Elitist '63 DOT 335
Sh*tload of Vintage Tube Stuff
Mainly Ampeg and Sovtek
i have a accoustic guitar cleaner, is that usable ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
perfect
Inventory of My Addiction:
Gibson Les Paul Voodoo
'93 American Standard Tele
STHAC Texas Havana
Epiphone Elitist '63 DOT 335
Sh*tload of Vintage Tube Stuff
Mainly Ampeg and Sovtek
Quote by Thunnar
I think what actually happens is that the lemon oil actually evaporates and has a drying effect on the wood when what you really want to do is clean and moisturize the fretboard with a good polish that preserves the wood by sticking around . . .

ive got a few guitars. every manufacturer tells u what they want u to use on the board.
my martin for example has a Black Micarta board.

in every case, ive been able to find out the recommended cleaning product for that specific guitar.

in general, its an oil on rosewood, and a polish on maple.

they sell products called fretboard conditioner. fretboard oil and guitar polish.
on the oil, it clearly says not for maple boards.
my recommendation is Not to use home products as they contain excess water not good for unfinished wood.

i suggest u buy a $10 kit that comes with a cleaning cloth and call it a day.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I recently bought some Clayton USA Pro Lemon Instrument polish, and it is awesome. My fret board was very sticky, but I applied some on, and now it is very smooth. When your changing your strings, take them all off, get a old thin cloth, apply a little bit of the polish to it, wipe your fretboard, let it sink in for five minutes, then re-string the guitar.

Mine cost £3, very cheap. Just go to your local Guitar store and it should sell some.
Quote by jj1565
my recommendation is Not to use home products as they contain excess water not good for unfinished wood.

i suggest u buy a $10 kit that comes with a cleaning cloth and call it a day.
Good advice. Although if water hurts the fretboard, imagine what sweat and related body-toxins must do to it!

Although I once had a cheap, Hondo guitar, and a little too much water on the first fret caused the wood to shrink, making a divit. Wood that cheap never should have been used to fashion a fretboard! (Is Hondo still in business?)
Currently co-designing a powerful, analog Eq-Amp-Sim. with www.dreamtonefx.com. (PM me for details rather than Dreamtone please.)
i had a hondo amp once. i inherited it from someone who forgot it at at my house, never came to claim it. i in turn left it over someone elses house and i hear its somewhere in ct now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I haven't really got much to add except for CLEAN IT EVERY TIME YOU RESTRING! My old guitar (Warlock ) I onyl ever chanegd the strings once and never cleaned it at that time and tis horrible and gunky... And the fretboard isn't very nice either...
you can clean it with cloth but shouldnt oil it too often.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62