other than the neck dippin in on each fret, what does this do for the guitar? manvueability, sound........ thanx guys
Mainly, as Yngwie says, he can get a better grip on the string by doing this, but it will take some time to learn to play like that. It doesn't really help you play faster, but it might help you get better because of the extra grip.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
They don't
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
its a matter of opinion i believe,
ive never played one myself
but a scalloped neck enables increased control over bends and vibrato, but its harder to play chords and to play in general at first, you apparantly get used to it.
i think steve vai has the right idea with his jem personally, just the top 4 frets scalloped seeing as they are hard to bend with control, and you're not going to be playing chords up at the 24th fret really are you?
On a scalloped fretboard when you press down on the string, you're not actually pushing the string against the wood. This is beneficial mainly on the higher frets, since they're closer together. A lot of people only get a scalloped fretboard above say, the 12th or 15th fret.
Quote by Godderz_24
its a matter of opinion i believe,
ive never played one myself
but a scalloped neck enables increased control over bends and vibrato, but its harder to play chords and to play in general at first, you apparantly get used to it.
i think steve vai has the right idea with his jem personally, just the top 4 frets scalloped seeing as they are hard to bend with control, and you're not going to be playing chords up at the 24th fret really are you?

i never said i wanted a scalloped neck, i was just curious
Quote by Arlabester
so then why do people always say scalloped guitars are better?

i think it's easier to bend the notes
i tried one and it's good for lead but bad for rhythm.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Harder to play. But, once you get used to it, or at least for me, i hate the feel of wood under my low action. I like scalloped necks.... Gonna get mine done soon.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
This has been done a billion times, use the search function.

You can touch the strings lightly, but chording becomes difficult, but since you are shredding, it wouldn't matter much.

People say that it's harder to play, but it's really personally, like you have to get used to it.

Give yngwie a full fretboard and he'd die.
Quote by Invictious

You can touch the strings lightly, but chording becomes difficult, but since you are shredding, it wouldn't matter much.

People say that it's harder to play, but it's really personally, like you have to get used to it.

Your kidding me right?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Invictious

I'm not a fan of Yngwie, but you're wrong. It's not like the string is touching the fretboard anyways.
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
Quote by Invictious

ive never seen it "done" im just asking a question, no poll, no opinions... and im not shredding, wtf? i just asked wtf a scalloped fretboard does
Well first of all you should stop being an idiot.

A scalloped fretboard gives you better control on the string (Easier bends, increased vibrato's width), but if you are not used to it, it's most likely that your note will sound sharp because of the pressure you are used to apply on a non-scalloped one.

Scalloping makes it HARDER to play fast, not easier.

I hope this answers to your question, and if it doesn't you really need to go see a doctor or something like that. Or stop listening to MCR.

Oh and by the way, I don't know where are you from, but I haven't met anyone who says scalloped fretboards are the best. Everyone plays to their own liking. It's not that Yngwie is gonna phone Satch to tell him "LAWLZ MY SCALLOPED FRATBORD PWNZ U BECUZ IT'S TEH BEST OF THE VORLD N0B"
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by ClassicAxe
Your kidding me right?

Yes.

To svennz: Not necessarily, scallopped fretboard can be easier to play, so stop being an idiot, it's a subjective matter, some people like LP necks, some people like Wizard necks, it's personally preference.

Arlabester: The question has been asked a million times already.

I personally think that Yngwie should eat more donuts, I don't like cheese cakes that much.
Quote by Invictious
Yes.

To svennz: Not necessarily, scallopped fretboard can be easier to play, so stop being an idiot, it's a subjective matter, some people like LP necks, some people like Wizard necks, it's personally preference.

Arlabester: The question has been asked a million times already.

I personally think that Yngwie should eat more donuts, I don't like cheese cakes that much.

ty and svennz, i wasnt being an idiot, i just didnt know what scalloped fretboards do, oh and if you have a problem with mcr: JUST DONT LISTEN TO THEM
I don't have problems with MCR, who said I listened to them? I have problems with people who listen to MCR and are proud of it. Sure, I have my gay music likings as well, I'm a big fan of blink-182. But I'm not telling everyone they rock and stuff. I keep it to myself.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Svennz
I don't have problems with MCR, who said I listened to them? I have problems with people who listen to MCR and are proud of it. Sure, I have my gay music likings as well, I'm a big fan of blink-182. But I'm not telling everyone they rock and stuff. I keep it to myself.

um i never said that (in this thread). whats you problem?