well im gonna start savin and planin now, next summer im gonna get a paper route, pays around 400 dollars a month, so im gonna turn my basement into a recording studio, money is a huge issue, so i can't make it very profesianal , just the bare necesaties, so is there anything else you think i need?
Microphones: 3 Marshall Electronics MXL V57M Studio Condenser Microphones $70 each http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSEV57M

Mic accessories: 3 OnStage ASVS6GB Microphone Pop Filters $25 each.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUSASVS6GB
3 Ultra Microphone Stands with Boom $30 each
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ULT6530

Behringer MS16 Active Personal Monitor System $69
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMS16

Alesis MultiMix 6FX 6-Channel Mixer with Effects $100
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMM6FX

computer: Dell Dimension 1100n http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dim11n&cs=04&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN

$270

soundproofing:
http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_multiple0.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2615113&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=77226707&bmUID=1156576734893 5 mattress pads $15 each
total; around 900 dollars

-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Last edited by gtrfrk123 at Aug 26, 2006,
Ok... lets see:

Channel Mixer: I'd get an Audio Interface for your mics instead. That along with an equalizer.

Boom Stands: No need unless you have vox.

That computer won't be too good. You'll need something with more RAM to be able to run music recording programs well, atleast the more demanding ones.

Matress Pads - Why?

Good luck.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
matress pad for soundproofing, and i don't need to much of a good computer. it'l be used just for recording, and the only programs i'll get is audacity, acoustica beatcraft, lame mp3 encoder, and i think thats about it
-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

first of all, do NOT spend $900 on soundproofing. this will have very little effect compared to the mics you buy. there are some cheap foam insulation things you can get at the hardware store that are cheaper and more efficient anyway. unless you absolutely MUST soundproof for certain reasons (neighbors, etc.) DONT spend most of your money on that, get a computer that can actually for Pro-Tools or something.

your mic choice isnt very good. i would only get ONE of those mics instead of THREE. it is a good vocal mic and maybe drum overhead. but thats it. i'd get a small diaphragm dynamic (SHURE SM57) for sure. this is the essential guitar amp/snare drum mic in almost ANY pro studio. then i'd also get a large diaphram dynamic (SHURE BETA 52) or something similar for bass drum and bass amp micing. having 3 different mics will be way more effective than 3 of the exact same.

of course if you plan to never record live drums or electric guitars, this would not be a good choice. if you are only going to do quiet acoustic stuff, get a small condenser to go with the ones you already picked out. also you want some preamps for sure to go with the mics. find some.

you should probably do some more research before you purchase anything. hopefully i was able to help.
im not spendin 900 on soundproofing, thats the price for everything. yea im defanately gonna do some more research, no question, thats just a rough draft of everything, and i got a year to do all this reasearch also.
-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

Wow! Thats a nice paying paper route i only get like $100 for the one I do.

but yea if your gonna be useing a computer get an interface not a mixer.
as other people said, dont get three of those mics, that doesnt give you a versitile set up. second, if you are running that mixer straight into your computer you will want a better soundcard. this way you wont lose quality running into the soundcard that comes with that computer. third, you need some serious upgrading on that computer. you wont really be able to do much with only 256mb ram. fourth, you are gonna need some XLR cables for your mics, so add in another $60 or so for 3 decent ones.

i know you are going for the bare basics, so heres what i would suggest. only get 2 mics to start instead of 3, a dynamic like the shure sm57 and a condensor like the MXL 990. that gets you 2 good mics and allows for a variety of applications. then only 1 pop filter for the condensor and 2 stands (only 1 boom most likely). personally id go for an interface instead of a mixer, but that will be more expensive for multiple inputs. it will sound better though, just make sure that you have phantom power that can be independently switched for each channel so you can use the dynamic and condensor at the same time. and definatly spend more on the computer. at the minimum get more ram, but any other upgrades would be good. i mean, you wont be using audacity forever so you want something that can handle other programs.
About that Dell... Operating system freeDOS?

And unless yo only use it for recording I doubt the RAM will be much good at 256.

Oh, and speakers don't come included.
Last edited by pentagram_man63 at Aug 26, 2006,
i got some speakers, its only gonna be for recording and i only need 3 programs, none of which use a lot of memory.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

^ it doesnt matter, you want a better computer. trust me, you will need more ram. 256mb of ram is going to be pretty much useless by next year anyway, so just spend the extra money and get something a bit better. if doesnt matter if all you are using is audacity, you wont stick to those free programs forever and you will need better specs. trust me, coming from someone who relies heavily on a computer, you want something slightly better than that. and get an operating system other than DOS, i stopped using DOS as an OS 10 years ago, so youre going probably want windows. not to say you cant use DOS if you know what you are doing, but i really wouldnt if i were you.
well im pretty sure you're right, i was just tryin to go as cheap as possible.
-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

well you should be able to get a much better computer for around $400, which is only $130 more. and dont just look at Dell, make sure you go to stores that sell computers and look around. E-machines make some cheap computers with decent specs, tho most of the stuff is integrated so you cant really upgrade. wait until you are getting ready to buy before you decide on a computer, stuff changes so fast that you really cant make a decision a year in advance.
yea i kno, like i said before this is just a rough draft, i have already made a couple changes, so i'll defanately look more into it.
-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett