Ohhkay, thing is, all I've got is the Frontman 25R (and a crappy 10W box of static that came with my strat copy) and said strat copy's just about to die, and so I was thinking, what can I get at this point around $500-750ish? (although 800+ might be stretching it, but I don't mind as long as it's a keeper) Most of what I'm going for is clean bluesy stuff/lot of soloing etc. and I'm positive that I'll be rocking the frontman for at least a year (curse of a student) so I need all of your years of wisdom. Any suggestions on what guitar I could look into?
its not a matter of the guitar 'going well with the amp' really. IMO a good amp is a better investment because a good amp with an average guitar will get you a great tone...but a great guitar with a not-so-good amp will get you a poopy tone.

Any Fender Strat should do. MIJ, MIM, MIK..etc. (Made in Japan/Mexico/Korea)
of those ^^ the mexican is the best. the next best is US. but those are expensive.

EDIT: I got a mexican for $600 2 years ago.

R.I.P.'s:

- Syd Barrett
- Dimebag
- Chuck Schuldiner
- Cliff Burton
- Metallica
- SRV
- Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Useful_Idiot16
full baked i love how ur sig says R.I.P metallica lol.

$600 for mexi strat? Where I live I can get brand new for $500.

But yet for bluesey stuff mexi strat would be good.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
dude frontman 25R is a 25W amp, and its not a bad amp.(though you can't say it's really good)

fender mexico stuff.(not standard) 50's and 60's strat
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510135
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-50s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510136
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
thanks guys. I was actually thinking about just going straight for a telecaster (used perhaps, if it gets too expensive), since I probably won't be getting another guitar until i get out of school (long ways) or would that be a particularly bad idea? I like that tone better than strats but I'm totally new to the mechanics of this whole thing so I have no clue. Would the mex strat be the better option then?

and I couldn't tell how good a sound the frontman could produce because I've always used my strat copy, which had possibly the worst pickups imaginable :P but from a lot of threads here I kinda derived that the frontman wasn't really 'all that' and was generally avoided?
A Tele is going to be just as well suited to your style as a strat.
The mexican Tele is $670
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60s-Telecaster?sku=511034
you also might want to look at the deluxe Nashville Telecaster for $550
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Nashville-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510067
or the 1972 Deluxe which has two humbuckers instead of single coils for about $700
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
telecasters are good too. try these
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Nashville-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510067
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-50s-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510138
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60s-Telecaster?sku=511034

also a squier affinity telecaster
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510443

yes, it's a squier, and it's really cheap. but when I played it at a store, it was a really good guitar, especially for the price. plus it's made of alder. if you mod it by changing the tuners, pickups, bridge, and other parts I'm sure it'll be pretty decent, and still only spend about $300-450. the neck feels really dry, but thats a personal preference.

take at look at these pages
http://www.frettech.com/mod.html
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Squier+Affinity+Series+Telecaster/10/1
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Quote by FullBaked
of those ^^ the mexican is the best. the next best is US. but those are expensive.

Japanese strat > Mexican strat
yes get a new strat, tele, les paul. whatever you like best as long as its not a cheapass wannabe guitar.
but for the love of god as soon as you get it start saving money for an amp or that new guitar is going to waste.
you might wanna try this http://guitarfx.net/ till you get a good amp. i've actually used my laptop as an multi-effects box for some cool sounds (just remember to check your mic input in volume control turn all effects off in the program and adjust the windows mic settings till you get a perfectly clean tone at full or close to full guitar volume)
Quote by FullBaked

A MIJ is far better then a MIM, my dad has a MIJ Strat and we compared it to a MIA Strat and it was jsut as good.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well i thought that a 10W fender came with the squier starter kit not the 25R. (25watt)

the 10W is pretty bad. the 25R can be improved by using the clean channel with a good stomp box effect.

i suggest u invest in an amp or stomp box.

but if u really want, u can get a distortion/effect, ull still be able to use it wt ur next amp, and will have enough cash to get ur new guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by FullBaked

the Mexican is best?

The US is next best?

Where do you get these things?

Mia>MIJ (arguable, but this is according to most) >MIM

Personally...

CIJ>MIJ>MIA>MIM
^hey dude whats the difference between crafted in japan and made in japan?
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by FullBaked

You are so wrong

600$ for a mexican? You got ripped.

MIJ fender are as good or better than american ones.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
http://www.chrisguitars.com/

there are some good deals on that site, especially with fenders, have a look
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by ClassicAxe

600$ for a mexican? You got ripped.

\

Mexicans are rather cheap I find.

But maybe it is some sort of different currnency.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
350 dollars for a Mexican standard strat, use the other 500 to buy a decent solid state combo or a Fender blues junior and you're set. Seriously, the blues junior is small but it's all tube and sounds great for the money. You're better off with a MIM strat and that than with a nicer guitar and a frontman.
Quote by oblique
350 dollars for a Mexican standard strat, use the other 500 to buy a decent solid state combo or a Fender blues junior and you're set. Seriously, the blues junior is small but it's all tube and sounds great for the money. You're better off with a MIM strat and that than with a nicer guitar and a frontman.

Basically what I said, only in parts?

I've played five different MIJ fender strats and none have been very good.

If he paid 600$ for a mex then it is liekly that he got one of those 60's/70's/whatever-era-you-want strats that are made in mexico. Probably not the standard. But as cubedeathk mentioned it could be a different currency.

The 15R was my first amp. I had played a few years of acoustic before too. The only advice I can say is that if you want a better sound then you need a new amp. With a job I have been able to buy many great things, none sound much better out of the frontman. If your current strat copy is comfortable, then I suggest a new amp. The Blues Junior would not be a bad pick.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by zekk
Basically what I said, only in parts?

Sorry, I didn't read through the thread before posting. I second what you suggested then.
Kool, because really, the amp/player make the guitar.

DON'T FIT YOUR GUITAR AFTER YOUR AMP! Ever! Fit all your gear to your GUITAR. You can change amp as much as you like, but the guitar is your main sound source and is the most important thing. It also inspires you more than a sh*t amp with 25 solid state watt. If you want blues get an AMR Telecaster. They rock when it comes to dirty blues and if you get one with a humbucker in neck it's very versatile.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
DON'T FIT YOUR GUITAR AFTER YOUR AMP! Ever! Fit all your gear to your GUITAR. You can change amp as much as you like, but the guitar is your main sound source and is the most important thing. It also inspires you more than a sh*t amp with 25 solid state watt. If you want blues get an AMR Telecaster. They rock when it comes to dirty blues and if you get one with a humbucker in neck it's very versatile.

WTF? Don't listian to the fag. I can play my ****ty Special (ED) Les Paul all day though my solid state and it sounds like ****, but if I play it throught a nice tube amp it sounds killer. Amp makes up anywhere from 75 to 90 %% of your sound. Its true. And humbuckers should go in the bridge, and a single in the neck, with coil-split.

Look at the Vox Valvetronix 15 watt. It's under $200 I believe so you could get that and maybe a nice semi-hollowbody Epiphone like a Dot.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Switch priorities, off guitar and onto amp. If you've got 800 split it too 500 for amp and 300 for guitar or even better is 250 for guitar and 550 for amp.

^He said he can't get a big amp anyway, so he won't even need that much for an amp unless he's looking at a really high end Vox or something.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Or a nice sized tube. A decent 15 watt tube runs about 380. Get a tube, get a nice tube, then get a decent guitar and mod the hell out of it to sound really really really ****ing killer.

wait to find a used american strat, saw one today at gc for 550. also look at a used gibby, they have nice pickups.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power

Ignore this person.

My suggestion.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Quote by FullBaked

No, I believe the MIJ is the best. You wont find any of those anywhere exept in pawn shops because they sounded just like the MIA but a fraction of the price! So Fender cut them out. I got myself an MIJ, I love it to death.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Quote by altarofdemise
No, I believe the MIJ is the best. You wont find any of those anywhere exept in pawn shops because they sounded just like the MIA but a fraction of the price! So Fender cut them out. I got myself an MIJ, I love it to death.
yeah made in japan (crafted in japan, both the same i think) fenders are good. though I don't like the sticky neck that MIJ fenders have. thats why i don't buy MIJs even though I can buy almost all models even though I'm in japan...

anyway, i suggest buying a 50's strat, 50's tele, 60's strat, or 60's telecaster. you're amp is NOT a piece of ****! its frontman 25R, not 15G. i mean, you're playing at home.

just buy this pedal or some other kind of overdrive pedal. worked fine.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

Quote by Muppet

as a true GG&A junky...Im not as insulted as I thought I would be after reading that. But then again...youre retarded. And you cant get mad at retards because theyre so damn cute.

So what youre saying is that a very nice Telecaster played through a Marshall MG10CD would sound LyKe Z0mGzz better than say a Squier through a Mesa Rectifier?

If you say yes: Theres a hitman headed your way.
Fender mexi strat definately, then get a nice amp, doesnt have to be big or amazingly loud but if you get a nice guitar and get a cheapish fender amp (maybe the fender champion 300?) then you can sound way better than you do at the mo