Poll: Best diverse beginner amp (MC for choosing in order of preference)
Poll Options
View poll results: Best diverse beginner amp (MC for choosing in order of preference)
Marshall MG15CDR
17 11%
Roland Cube 15
65 42%
Roland Microcube
37 24%
Vox Pathfinder 15R
20 13%
Peavey Blazer 158
8 5%
Peavey Rage 158
12 8%
Randall RG25RXM
2 1%
Randall RG15RXM
5 3%
Behringer (indicate which one)
7 5%
Other: Indicate which
22 14%
Voters: 153.
Page 1 of 3
As I havent played before & I intend to start on electric, Could someone give me some advice on which of the following amps are good. Im thinking of spending max around $AUD 200 (Australian Dollars).

Mega GL20 $149
Mega GM15 $99
Ashton BSK158 $249
Ashton GA 158 $169
Behringer V Tone $129
Behringer Vintage AC108 $104.25
Behringer Firebird GX108 $111.75
Marshall MG15CDR $199
Marshall MG15CD $169
Marshall MG15DFX $259
Marshall MG15DFX Pack $339
Hughes & Kettner Edn Blue $269.01
Randall RG15XM $111.75
Randall RG15RXM $159.20
Randall RG25RXM $201.75
Kustom 12 Gauge Combo $229
Kustom KGA16R $233.10
Kustom Arrow 16w $195
Kustom SOLO 16 $199
Roland Cube 15 $195
Roland Microcube $179
Vox Pathfinder 15R $195
Peavey Rage 158 $169
Peavey Blazer 158 $219
Orange CR15 $179
Orange CR15R $199
HiWatt G15/8 $179
Fender Frontman 15R $179
Fender Frontman 15G $149
RMS G20 with Reverb $189
RMS G20 $139
Laney HCM15R $168.99
Laney HCMR $211.65
Laney MXD15 $131

EDIT:

Legend TEC40G 40w $215
Legend TEC10D 12w $75
Crate GT15 12w $169
Vox Pathfinder 10 $126.65
Last edited by AustBeginnerAxe at Sep 11, 2006,
roland cube, the microcube i think has more effects than the 15 watt, but is slightly more expensive, and not as powerful, i have that, and i also have a MG15CDR, theyre both decent amps, but Roland Microcube gives great effects, and 6 different effects, i wouldnt go with the 115 watt tho, doenst have all the options

otherwise CDR is good, aint tryed any others
PSN: Noverion
Quote by Noverion
roland cube, the microcube i think has more effects than the 15 watt, but is slightly more expensive, and not as powerful, i have that, and i also have a MG15CDR, theyre both decent amps, but Roland Microcube gives great effects, and 6 different effects, i wouldnt go with the 115 watt tho, doenst have all the options

otherwise CDR is good, aint tryed any others

Are you from Aust? Cause the cheapest Micocube Ive seen is $189, which is cheaper than the normal Roland Cube 15. Could it be a different model for different nations?
I have a Hughes & Kettner Edition Silver (same as blue with reverb, without light) and it's a good amp - my stage amp...

And i have a little Marshall MG15CD. This is my second amp and i only use it for holidays...

Maybe you can get a used Hughes & Kettner Edition, i think it's a good starteramp.
IMO:
Cheapest and best SS - Roland Cube 30/microcube
Cheapest and best semi-tube - Vox AD15VT/30VT
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
How important is reverb on an amp & what is it? Cause some of the amps dont have it & it appears that in the price range the only ones with reverb are:
Marshall MG15CDR
Fender Frontman 15R
RMS G20 20 watt with reverb
Laney HCM15R
Vox Pathfinder 15R

Also The Microcube isnt 15W, so is it as good as the Cube 15?
I started with a MG15CDR works pretty well for me and i think reverb adds an extra bit of sound to an amp tht i think can be useful with a small amp
also my friend got a 15W Frontman at about the same time as i got the MG and i thought it sounded a bit ****
dont get a mg or a front man..............................no dont ...................just dont.................microcube is what you want then spend sum decent money on a all tube if you want to gig
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Quote by spanerman
dont get a mg or a front man..............................no dont ...................just dont.................microcube is what you want then spend sum decent money on a all tube if you want to gig

Even though it doesnt appear to have reverb? It appears like im gonna need reverb. If reverb is used for metal, rock, etc
Quote by fireman464
I like the VOX AD15VT the best. Amp modeling pus effects.

At $339.15, its far to expensive for a first amp
it does have reverb
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

Quote by spanerman
it does have reverb

Is that the Australian model? Cause I was looking at the specs on Rolands website and could find the word "reverb", is it also known as something else?
i duno i just googled microcube, and im not from that wales im from wales UK
Quote by Danno13

the micro is better than the cube 15 in case u missed that.

vox makes nice moddeling amps in that range too.

make sure if u go small that u dont worry about the wattage as much as the effects and options.

because an extra 5 Watts isnt going to make u louder than a drummer. so if u go for the extra 5W, u still end up with a bedroom amp, just with less options.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
then look at the

microcube

and

Vox Da5
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
the micro is better than the cube 15 in case u missed that.

vox makes nice moddeling amps in that range too.

make sure if u go small that u dont worry about the wattage as much as the effects and options.

because an extra 5 Watts isnt going to make u louder than a drummer. so if u go for the extra 5W, u still end up with a bedroom amp, just with less options.

Oh, ok I thought the higher the RMS the better. Oh, and yeah as it will be a prac amp I dont really intend it for a band, anyway I think on the higher end Randalls, you can plug in more than 1 player, cause my mate has one (not to sure on the details, its just big and very loud)

So the best bang for $ is the Micro Cube, even though it has the smaller wattage & runs on batteries (which would cost alot in the long run wont it?)
If there is better would love to know
it also plugs in but its got a battery option too.

randall makes a nice little high gain practice amp. if u just want clean to gain option. id say it does the job fine. much better than a little mg.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
it also plugs in but its got a battery option too.

randall makes a nice little high gain practice amp. if u just want clean to gain option. id say it does the job fine. much better than a little mg.

Would I want high gain? Music Styles would be indicative on my Profile.
Im looking to Play the following genres:
Metal: Heavy, Thrash, Death, Sludge, Grind, Melodic, Black, Gothic, Power
Hard Rock
Rock
Classic rock
Aussie Rock: Split Enz, Aussie Crawl, Chisel, ACDC, Midnight Oil, Icehouse, INXS
Chick pulling music.
Counrty (Johnny Cash)
Classical (Along the lines of what Cliff thought Metallica)
haha, ud probably be best off with the micro.

vox (11 effects) usually cant pull off heavy metal, (great classic tones tho) so at least ull get about 8 effects.

u need a versatile amp, that means modelling.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't know why everyone always suggests the cube. About the only thing that I've found my cube 30 good for is metal and jazz. The tone is very harsh and most times I hear people take solos on them I want to cover my ears and cry.

The vox mentioned before is a really nice amp, but as you as you said, a little expensive. A friend of mine has a really nice sounding 15w Kustom amp, but I'm not really sure what model it was.

I will say one thing though, there is absolutely nothing more discouraging than having a bad tone. You can be playing something fine, but if your amp isn't giving you a good sound it will sound like you're running your nails down a chalkboard. When I was taking lessons, I used to play on a Marshal MG (avoid all small marshals... bad bad bad) And anything I played sounded horrible, and it was also so discouraging, but then when I would come home everything would sound great.

Basically sometimes it's worth spending the extra money, cheap equipment can make wanting to continue playing that much harder. But, what you really need to do here, is find someone who can play guitar, and have them play on each amp for you for a few minutes and see which ones sound you like the most.
^ for a $125 usd. i just dont know what people expect sometimes.

for the price of some pedals he can get a small practice amp with several usable effects.
it can get loud enough for bedroom use without breaking up and isnt that really all he needs?

also take into consideration roland cube quality. if u dont abuse it, itll last quite a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
haha, ud probably be best off with the micro.

vox (11 effects) usually cant pull off heavy metal, (great classic tones tho) so at least ull get about 8 effects.

u need a versatile amp, that means modelling.

Modelling? What does that mean? Is that getting someone to play on it in store?
Modelling amps = can switch to different models. For example the Roland microcube can switch to the Jazz Chorus cleans model or model from Mesa Boogie Rectifier amp on R-Fier mode.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Did you read what I said?

It's not about expecting some great amp when you're only paying $125. It's about having a sound that you can live with, instead of a sound that makes your playing sound a lot worse than it actually is. It's just my opinion, but for all it's effects and it's modeling, 90% of which a beginner won't use anyway, it still sounds mostly like garbage. More than versatility a person needs a sound that they actually enjoy listening to.

However, being that he just listed off a million types of metal, I will say that solos aside it's fantastic for that, and of course I won't argue with the quality of the thing either.

My whole reason for saying any of this is I started with a Cube 30, I spent hours with the thing and had no luck making it sound good. Most of my playing was done without the amp, but the second I switched to something else I became a whole lot happier with what I'm doing. It's about not wanting to throw your guitar and amp out the window in the first 3 months of playing
Quote by icronic

However, being that he just listed off a million types of metal, I will say that solos aside it's fantastic for that, and of course I won't argue with the quality of the thing either.

I probably wont be good enough to play metal for quite a while, but it is mostly what I listen to along with radio rock & old rock
A moddeling amp means that the amp can re-create some sounds from other amps. This is very usefull when you play a lot of different styles of music. (a lot more versitile at the cost of a bit less sound quality, a moddeling amp simulating a certain amp will not sound as good as the real thing). If you're going to play a lot of metal I'd suggest against picking a Vox amp since Vox amps aren't really suitable for metal.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
the randall was my first amp, it it's much better than most the practice amps around, it's not bad at all for 100 some odd dollars
Quote by icronic
Did you read what I said?

It's not about expecting some great amp when you're only paying $125. It's about having a sound that you can live with, instead of a sound that makes your playing sound a lot worse than it actually is.

My whole reason for saying any of this is I started with a Cube 30, I spent hours with the thing and had no luck making it sound good.

i know what u mean. after i played tube amps i didnt want to go back to solid state.
(some exceptions)

but of the amps listed in his price range, the cube (or even vox) seems to be the best fit.
not sure why u had so many problems with ur cube 30. its definately a modelled effect tone, but again in the $200 price range, well worth the tag.

tone is subjective but i doubt he'd want to toss it out the window. i guess that's why most of these products come with 30 return policies.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So it seems the Roland Microcube is best? But would it still be if I was able to spend about $20 extra?

And is there anything wrong with the Randalls? Cause my mate has a huge randall stack (separate speaker & control system thing)
Last edited by AustBeginnerAxe at Aug 26, 2006,
My vote would be for the Vox DA5. Awesome little amp, sounds just great as is and has some pretty impressive onboard effects. I plan to pick one up just so I won't have to lug one of my combos around most of the time.

Btw, there are several soundbytes of the DA5 over at the Musician's Friend website.
heres my two cents...

but if ur going for a 15 watt amp...id get a cheap one and save the rest for when u want...lets say a half stack.

For 15 watts you'll get only so much sound and quality, mine as well go cheap and get something better down the road...cause if ur just starting to play...your gonna sound like **** anywayz... haha and if not then why a 15 watt amp? :P
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Yeh i'm new too guitar as well, i just need to choose my amp right now, this thread could be helpful
I finally got my gear!

Squier Deluxe Series Satin Trans Double Fat Strat
Roland Cube 15
Micro Cube has no EQ...only effects...soon beginners will get over the fact taht it's got like 9 models that they can barely change. I'd go for VOX15R..brilliant beginners amp, $200 AUS at Turramurra music in sydney..if you liv in sydney
Last edited by h0d0g at Sep 11, 2006,
Page 1 of 3