Poll: Diverse music beginners guitar (I listen mostly to metal, but also diverse music)
Poll Options
View poll results: Diverse music beginners guitar (I listen mostly to metal, but also diverse music)
Ibanez RG170DX
27 26%
Yamaha RGX121
7 7%
Epiphone Les Paul 100
21 21%
Epiphone G310
14 14%
Washburn X-10
8 8%
Ashton AG181
3 3%
Jackson JS1 DINKY
12 12%
Ibanez GSA60
11 11%
Yamaha Pacifica 112
19 19%
Other
29 28%
Voters: 102.
Page 1 of 3
Hi Im an Australian bloke, who wants to learn the axe, and am looking @ spending around $AUD500 and want to play music of very diverse styles (ranging from Metal (most subgenres: Death, Sludge, Black, Doom, Gothic, Thrash, etc) to classic rock, classical (influences of metal or rock bands, ie; Metallica) & country (Cash).

To clarify what is the difference b/w humbucker & Single coil (apart from visually looking different) I have been told that Humers give the Metal sound, while single coils give a classic rock sound. Is this true?

How many knobs are needed on a guitar & is it better to have writing & #s on them, so that it is easier to remember what they do?

Also with the frets, how many do I need? 22 or 24 & what style is better? Does height of player and weight of player have any influence?

Also the guitar I'm interested in most at the moment is the Ibanez RG170DX , as it has 2 Humbuckers & 1 Single coil. Is this a good make?

Also ones I have though might be good are:

Ibanez SZ120 (because of the 3 piece neck. How important is a 3 piece & what is its purpose?)
Ibanez RX70
Ibanez AX75 (Due to the Downshifter, what is it & how important is it?)
Ibanez Gio SA60
Yamaha RGX121 (Because of the 5 way switch & 2 Hummers with 1 Single coil)
Yamaha Pacifica 112 (have been told that it is good)

Theses are Australian Prices @ Aussie shops/websites, cause im aussie, probably would be better getting it here.

If anyone has experience with the following I would be real gratiful for your assistance in choosing b/w the makes:

ESP's:
ESP LTD MH50NT $475
ESP LTD M50 $351.75
ESP LTD EC50 $446
" " " " H-50 $459
" " " " Viper-50 $479
" " " " F-10 $439
F-50 $486.75
EX-50 $486.75
LH50 $486.75
LM50 $499

Ibanez's:
SA60 $399
AX30 Pack $329
Jumpstart Pack $429
AX70 $394
JetKing JTK2 $473
JetKing JTK1 $200
RG170DX $300
SZ120 $391
RX70 $429
AX75 $470
RG321MH $516 (I dont really want to spend more than $500, so this needs to be exceedingly better than all other guitars under the $AUD500 mark listed.)

Fender Squire:
Affinity Strat Pack $486.75
Vintage Jagmaster $499
Telecaster Custom 2 $399
Standard Double Fat Strat $424.15
Standard Fat Strat $424.15
Standard Telecaster $411.75

Epiphone:
Special 2 $269
SG Special $269
Les Paul 100 $339
G-310 SG $329
G-310 Emily the Strange Ltd Edn (Who is this artist & is it worth the extra $) $428
Pee Wee Rave Rig Vintage $359
Les Paul Studio $489 Billy Hyde

Monterey:
MGS-14GT $449
MGS-16 $439.20
MGS-15 $399
MGS-11TWR $359.20
MLP-6 $356
MRJ-7 $339
MVG-1 $299.25
MSG-1 $299.25
MGS-7 $399
MGT-5 $280
MGT-2 $251
MGS-3 $251
MLP-2 $314

Washburn:
W I-14 $299
X-10 $259
N-1 $319
HB-15TS $483
BT-2QVS $329
I-24 $309
X-12QVS $279
X-20 $315
X-22 $315
BT4 $309

Jackson:
JS20 $399
JS1 $353

Yamaha:
Pacifica 112 $399
Pacifica 012 $325
Pacifica 012 Pack $389
RGX121 $339
Yamaha Pacifica 112 & GA15 Amp Pack $569

Schecteronly if they are extremely superior to all others; cause I dont really want to spend more than $500 on my 1st guitar):
Export 006 Deluxe $508.99
Export Omen 6 $508.99

AXL:
Bloodsport Wavepoint $449
Mayhem Fireax $499
Mayhem Wavepoint $399
Mayhem Jackknife $399
Last edited by AustBeginnerAxe at Sep 23, 2006,
If you want versatility, I'd go with a Epiphone G-400 or a Epiphone Les Paul Studio (or standard if you want it to look better, but it's not worth it).

However the downside to LP studio is people beat you up if they see you use it in public.

And don't use the word Axe.

Don't buy packs too, everything sucks in there, well usually.

use the spare money to upgrade or buy accessories like slides and capos, since you play a bit of everything/
ESP LTD EC's are excellent. Very versatile.
ESP LTD EC-400 Archtop

Robert Keeley Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer-
ISP Decimator-
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer-
B-52 AT-100-
Basson B412-4
Quote by Invictious
If you want versatility, I'd go with a Epiphone G-400 or a Epiphone Les Paul Studio (or standard if you want it to look better, but it's not worth it).

However the downside to LP studio is people beat you up if they see you use it in public.

And don't use the word Axe.

Don't buy packs too, everything sucks in there, well usually.

use the spare money to upgrade or buy accessories like slides and capos, since you play a bit of everything/

Quote by Invictious
If you want versatility, I'd go with a Epiphone G-400 or a Epiphone Les Paul Studio (or standard if you want it to look better, but it's not worth it)./

I think the G-400 maybe a bit out of the price range, Seems like it is @ $549 thru Guitar World

Quote by Invictious
And don't use the word Axe./

How come?

Quote by Invictious
Don't buy packs too, everything sucks in there, well usually./

Wasnt planning on doing a pack really, but is everthing crap in them? Cause arent the cheaper separate amps the same as whats in the packs?
Last edited by AustBeginnerAxe at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by TaylorU
ESP LTD EC's are excellent. Very versatile.

Is the fact that it only has 3 way switch & 2 Humbuckers without Single coil a problem? Plz dont blast me for saying something that may have sounded like a criticism, its just that I really am curious in the regard
Because studios are not as pretty.

It's just a joke that I came up with that people don't usually get.

That happened to me once...I borrowed it from a friend, I was inspecting the guitar in public before return, a guy came and beat me up and said "screw your LP studio" (jk)
Quote by Invictious
Because studios are not as pretty.

It's just a joke that I came up with that people don't usually get.

That happened to me once...I borrowed it from a friend, I was inspecting the guitar in public before return, a guy came and beat me up and said "screw your LP studio" (jk)

Ha, did that actually happen? Also what happened to the use of "Axe"?
Quote by AustBeginnerAxe
Ha, did that actually happen? Also what happened to the use of "Axe"?

The word axe, is like..wannabe word.

Well it's like calling yourself 'punk'

Well people don't like studios because they are ugly, but it looks fine IMO.
Quote by Invictious
The word axe, is like..wannabe word.

Well it's like calling yourself 'punk'

Well people don't like studios because they are ugly, but it looks fine IMO.

Oh, ok thanks for the advice. I always thought the word "axe" was a bit knobish, so what word is used? Should I just stick to guitar?
Well, I'm not a fan of Ibanez, and single coils give of a different sounds from a humbucker. Humbuckers give off a fuller, thicker sound, and the number of frets don't really matter all that much. I'd recomend the LTD EC-50 or the Epiphone Les Paul. The EC-50 is an extremely great guitar, you can use it for just about anything. Same with the Les Paul, although it doesn't give off the metal tone if you want that. I don't know much about the Yamahas or the Ibanez, so I can't help you there, but I'm sure someone else here can.

Cheers.
Quote by Machanix
Well, I'm not a fan of Ibanez, and single coils give of a different sounds from a humbucker. Humbuckers give off a fuller, thicker sound, and the number of frets don't really matter all that much. I'd recomend the LTD EC-50 or the Epiphone Les Paul. The EC-50 is an extremely great guitar, you can use it for just about anything. Same with the Les Paul, although it doesn't give off the metal tone if you want that. I don't know much about the Yamahas or the Ibanez, so I can't help you there, but I'm sure someone else here can.

Cheers.

I strongly disagree with the ec-50, I'd go with LP

Agathis burns really well, but it sucks for guitar, don't even buy a guitar with agathis.
Quote by Machanix

Cheers.

The Metal sound is quite a bit what Im looking for, but would like the softer ability to play at parties at to females (secondary reason for wanting to learn to play)

Also what is wrong with Ibanez? Anyone
There's nothing wrong with Ibanez, nor is there anything wrong with most other well-know brands. The thing is that almost all brands make very good, but also very bad guitars. So just because your guitar is an Ibanez or a Jackson or whatever doesn't automatically mean it's good, or automatically mean that it's bad.

A little tip if you're going to play a lot of metal: get a guitar with Jumbo or XJumbo frets. This means that the strings on the neck are a little further appart which makes it easier to do very fast riffs. Some people prefer their strings to be closer toghether though, it's basicaly just what you prefer. For metal you'll also be wanting a neck that is pretty flat, that also makes playing fast stuff easier (but also in this case it all boils down to personal prefference in the end, so i'd recommend that you just try some different guitars in a shop to see what you like best).

About the single coil / humbucker thing: Single coils give a thinner shound while humbuckers give a warmer sound. For metal you'll definatly need humbuckers because their output is higher and that gives a good metal sound when you use high distortion.

If you buy a guitar don't forget to get it set up by a guitar shop, that can do wonder for your guitar.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Have considered getting a Schecter? They're great guitars for the money and great for beginners or advanced players alike and they'll definietly handle the genres you're looking to play. I'd reccomend the Schecter C-1 Plus. Beautiful flame maple top and has 2 Seymour Duncan designed pups. It's only about $50 out of your price range, but it's certainly well worth the money.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Dardarian
There's nothing wrong with Ibanez, nor is there anything wrong with most other well-know brands. The thing is that almost all brands make very good, but also very bad guitars. So just because your guitar is an Ibanez or a Jackson or whatever doesn't automatically mean it's good, or automatically mean that it's bad.

A little tip if you're going to play a lot of metal: get a guitar with Jumbo or XJumbo frets. This means that the strings on the neck are a little further appart which makes it easier to do very fast riffs. Some people prefer their strings to be closer toghether though, it's basicaly just what you prefer. For metal you'll also be wanting a neck that is pretty flat, that also makes playing fast stuff easier (but also in this case it all boils down to personal prefference in the end, so i'd recommend that you just try some different guitars in a shop to see what you like best).

About the single coil / humbucker thing: Single coils give a thinner shound while humbuckers give a warmer sound. For metal you'll definatly need humbuckers because their output is higher and that gives a good metal sound when you use high distortion.

If you buy a guitar don't forget to get it set up by a guitar shop, that can do wonder for your guitar.

Yeah, I definitely intend to have my mates and my uncle go down to the store with me to have them play it to see if its good (one of my mates is in a band).

I understand that within every brand their is bound to be bad guitars, so with the ones I have listed are any bad? If so which ones?
Quote by Ambulance X
Have considered getting a Schecter? Schecter C-1 Plus. Beautiful flame maple top and has 2 Seymour Duncan designed pups. It's only about $50 out of your price range, but it's certainly well worth the money.

Is that Australian $, cause it seems to be around a grand
The only Schecter's that appear to be near the price range are the Export 006 Deluxe $508.99 & Export Omen 6 $508.99
In general starter packs aren't that good, but from what I've heard the ibanez starter pack is ok. But I think the other guitar in you list are better value for your money (especally since I see you're also gonna buy an amp so the amp that comes with the starterpack is useless.) I'd try to stay away from fender squire guitars, haven't played one myself but from what I've head they are really bad quality.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Quote by Dardarian
In general starter packs aren't that good, but from what I've heard the ibanez starter pack is ok. But I think the other guitar in you list are better value for your money (especally since I see you're also gonna buy an amp so the amp that comes with the starterpack is useless.)

Only, because I was told I could probably do a better deal by shopping around for amp & guitar as separate piecies & possibly buying from same retail shop who might match or beat for cash. And that if I do like the guitar, then I can upgrade with better pickups in a year or two by putting either Duncans or EGM's
Usually getting a guitar from a starter pack and then upgrading it with new pickups isn't a good idea. Even though the guitar will sound better the new pickups won't give their best sound because they are in cheap wood, and you will still have the other disadvantages of a starter-pack guitar, such as a rather high action and not staying in tune very long.

And by the way its EMG, not EGM :P
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Quote by Dardarian
Usually getting a guitar from a starter pack and then upgrading it with new pickups isn't a good idea. Even though the guitar will sound better the new pickups won't give their best sound because they are in cheap wood, and you will still have the other disadvantages of a starter-pack guitar, such as a rather high action and not staying in tune very long.

And by the way its EMG, not EGM :P

Yeah I should have clarified, I wasnt meaning upgrading a starter pack guitar, but more so the Ibanez RG170DX in particular, and one of the ones I listed.
And thanks for correcting my mistake about the EMG's
AFAIK the Ibanez RG series are pretty good guitars for a beginner. A friend of mine has one and he's been playing it for years and is still happy with it. He also changed the pickups after a while. He has an RG320FM I believe, but I'm not sure how that one compares to the RG170DX. The RG320FM has a floating bridge (don't get a guitar with a floating bridge if you're new to guitar!!!) so it's probably more expensive anyway. Don't know about the rest of the hardware. Both the RG320FM and the RG170DX are made out of basswood, with is pretty good wood (also for metal, I believe Kirk Hammet's signature guitar ( the KH2 or something) is made out of basswood)
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

My friend said tt yamaha dont have gd tone but u might want to give it a try..
Another way of saving $$$ is to go ard diff shop..compare price of the same guitar model..
Talk to the owner about offer available(eg. will they bring down the price if u buy the amp frm the shop also)..
I got an AXL FireAx(u might want to try it out..it come with H/S/H pup frm EMG, floyd rose bridge) n Laney LX12 amp + other stuff for S$450 with this method..total i save about S$100..
MOST IMPT: DONT RUSH IN BUYING..
Why are people suggesting guitars with a FR? Not only are they generally more expensive but working with a floyd can be really hard and anoying for a beginner who also has to learn a lot of other things about the electric guitar.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Quote by Fai09
My friend said tt yamaha dont have gd tone but u might want to give it a try..
Another way of saving $$$ is to go ard diff shop..compare price of the same guitar model..
Talk to the owner about offer available(eg. will they bring down the price if u buy the amp frm the shop also)..
I got an AXL FireAx(u might want to try it out..it come with H/S/H pup frm EMG, floyd rose bridge) n Laney LX12 amp + other stuff for S$450 with this method..total i save about S$100..
MOST IMPT: DONT RUSH IN BUYING..

The prices I have listed have come from about 20-30 websites/stores and it is the end result of the cheapest prices I have come across. I was taking a look at the AXL's but they are no-names & look like knockof's of RC Rich's. But whats it sound like? Any good?
I've played a Epi LP and SG, and am a big fan of both, but vastly prefer the SG. i found it easier to play, less "arrrgh-it's-too-damn-difficult-to-hold-while-playing" and, best of all, you can beat the **** out of it and it seems unaffected . they are both worth the buy, but if i were you, i'd get the SG and a amp to polish off the rest of the 500$
R E G G A E
Quote by willpulman_172
I've played a Epi LP and SG, and am a big fan of both, but vastly prefer the SG. i found it easier to play, less "arrrgh-it's-too-damn-difficult-to-hold-while-playing" and, best of all, you can beat the **** out of it and it seems unaffected . they are both worth the buy, but if i were you, i'd get the SG and a amp to polish off the rest of the 500$

So yould say regards less of whether I was willing to spend $600 for the total package, that the SG G310 is the best?
Quote by Dardarian
AFAIK the Ibanez RG series are pretty good guitars for a beginner. A friend of mine has one and he's been playing it for years and is still happy with it. He also changed the pickups after a while. He has an RG320FM I believe, but I'm not sure how that one compares to the RG170DX. The RG320FM has a floating bridge (don't get a guitar with a floating bridge if you're new to guitar!!!) so it's probably more expensive anyway. Don't know about the rest of the hardware. Both the RG320FM and the RG170DX are made out of basswood, with is pretty good wood (also for metal, I believe Kirk Hammet's signature guitar ( the KH2 or something) is made out of basswood)

Yeah the RG320FM, would probably be more expensive, as it has a higher serial # & I havent seen it for the under $500 mark
Quote by AustBeginnerAxe
So yould say regards less of whether I was willing to spend $600 for the total package, that the SG G310 is the best?

They're both good, but yes I prefer the SG.
R E G G A E
Ibanez RG321MH.

Can't beat it for the price, mate. $275 US, dunno what that is in AUS.
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Quote by BWenz7
Ibanez RG321MH.

Can't beat it for the price, mate. $275 US, dunno what that is in AUS.

Here it costs $516 (abit high for my liking)
Quote by Invictious
Don't buy anything below the G-400.

I did a table on the EPiphones, they make good starting guitars and they are versatile.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421617

Either g-400 or the LP 'studio' (studio is best for it's price, but it's uglier)

Why nothing below G-400? Is that only the Epiphone brand your talking about cause it costs $531.24 at Bava's & that is quite out of the price range.
Because they are not that good, enough said.

Otherwise the LP, but it's worth saving up for, although aonly 22 frets
Quote by Invictious
Because they are not that good, enough said.

Otherwise the LP, but it's worth saving up for, although aonly 22 frets

Its not really, the money thats the issue, but the fact that it is for something I might not be that into or good at, thats my concern. I have also been told that for a starter guitar to stick at around the $500 mark, but would like to stick to within the $600 or so mark for a total package (Amp & Guitar, & whatever I can score out of the store). So that is approx $454.597 USD
the AXL sound good..btw u are paying a low price for gd stuff tt the guitar have..about the FR brigde, dont worry, the only prob mayb getting use to changing string n tuning it..but u will get use to it in a few day..
check out this site for the sound sample
http://www.axlguitars.com/index.php?id=1194
Quote by Fai09
the AXL sound good..btw u are paying a low price for gd stuff tt the guitar have..about the FR brigde, dont worry, the only prob mayb getting use to changing string n tuning it..but u will get use to it in a few day..
check out this site for the sound sample
http://www.axlguitars.com/index.php?id=1194

Ild like to hear what others say, cause I cant really tell from a websites sound file whether it is good or not.

Also people at guitarist.net reckon that the Squiers are fine to start on, and even to start on a Accoustic. In case I dont like the idea of playing, whats your opinion(s)
Last edited by AustBeginnerAxe at Aug 27, 2006,
well for more of a heavy side (sorry if you dont like it didnt read ur full post thread starter)

schecter omen 6
and a roland cube15or 30 or 60?

i dont know about australias prices though but that sounds pretty good to me
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Page 1 of 3