I'm pretty new to guitar and just started playing it 'cause I joined a band and igured I really ought to. Here my problem............ My hands get sweaty and my friggin pick retreats somewhere into my fist

Any ideas other than : 'stop playing guitar you tard' or 'sew it to yourself as a constant reminder of how stupid you are'
get a pick with little groove thingys to improve grip
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
anyone who answers like that is a prick, you gotta start somewhere right?

well, mi guitar teacher hole punches holes in thin picks cozs the ygive u extra grip, so you should have less problems with that. If you like thick picks use big stubbys, they have a little dip in for ure fingers. Alternativley just after a while it will stop happened, experience

hands getting sweaty? not sure about that one
PSN: Noverion
for sweaty hands rub a little antiperspirant (stick solid) on ur palms before u play.

the zinc will keep them dry. buy a small stick just for ur hands.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
for sweaty hands rub a little antiperspirant (stick solid) on ur palms before u play.

the zinc will keep them dry. buy a small stick just for ur hands.

wouldnt that do something to your finish? (esp on a nitrocellulose laquer finish)
anything is possible. but sweat stains a neck also.

wipe it down after wards. check and see what coating is on ur neck.
you can use powder to keep dry, but it doesnt work as well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've been playing guitar for about two years, and I'm not great, but I don't think I'm bad for the length of time I've been playing, and I thought I was the only one that happened to. I feel much better now...

I might try the whole punch one, because I use really thin picks, they're like paper.
I've been playign for three years and my hands get sweaty when I play with my band in the summer, cause it gets hot in the barn, and my pick always slides. I usually notice it before it goes too far, and I've managed to be able to slide it back in the midst of playing. Sweating in ineveitable, and you'll adapt the pick sliding. I also use BRAIN picks, that have alot of little grips on the wide end, which really helps it. That's why I hate using smooth picks, they slip easily, and they break.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
go to a guitar store, and try out different picks. maybe you're not playing the pick the right shape and thickness.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Or get BRAIN picks.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
^AERODYNAMIC PICKS?! MUST GET!!

Try the Jim Dunlop picks that are called, like, shark something. They're rough, so you don't drop 'em, but they don't feel wierd either.
hmm, pretty interesting thread. I've been playing for a little over 3 years too, and I still notice my pick sliding. I played bass before that, but didn't use a pick. I've gotten used to repositioning it, but some interesting ideas here to keep it in place, it's still a PITA for me. Besides these tips, is there something in technique of holding it that would make it do this? I'm self taught, so I don't know if I ever learned the correct way to actually hold the pick.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I've been playing about 18 years and my pick can still slide around in my fingers.
You get used to it and adjust.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
You could put some talcon powder on your hand and pick, that may help.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30