I think the tone on their amps was very dry and raw which I seriously loved, what amps were they using for that album?
Well i know they use Mesa amps now, not sure though if they did back then.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I think they were using Marshalls at that time.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
From the James Hetfield celeb rig...

Quote by MetaluptheAss

The ?And Justice For All studio work saw some of the same with some new stuff thrown in.

-Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+

-Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

-Marshall JMP/JCM Heads

-Roland JC120 Combo (clean tones)

-Marshall 4x12, Mesa 4x12, Mesa heads slaved to Marshalls

For the live stuff? here we go.

He appears to have used 2 Mesa Boogie Mark IIc+ heads

He had 3 vertical parametric EQ/lunchbox (pedals?), the old ADA multi-effects, the Rocktron, and two Mesa Strategy 400s.

He kept the JC120 Combo.

The main part of the AJFA tone though was the 81/81 setup James had (I believe) and the fact James put track upon track of the rhythm guitar on top of each other, there are a BUNCH of rhtyhm guitars over each other, so that's what attained the super dry super thin sound of it.
haha
Quote by electrik
No...

They were using Mesa Mark IIC+s and maybe Mark IVs on AJFA IIRC.

Ya electrik and Metal are both correct with the Mark IIC+s

However Electrik i dont believe the Mark IV came out until 1990 im not 100% on that though
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
god, me wanta that ampa...lol...its super sweet their distortion, if they only kept that...
AJFA tone is ok but i prefer their MoP and RTL tone.

Also their tone isnt alot of distortion you can hit the tones of any of the first four albums with a Jcm 800
ehhh it wont do it as well as the 800 but ya it could do it just dont turn the gain up to high it probably doesnt have to go past 5 or Noon if your doing it in o'clocks. Oh high bass high treble scoop the mids
THe Disto in this song............... is soooooooooooo reverbless !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ heads slaved into Marshall JMP heads (So you have the Mesa preamp and Marshall power amp) with Marshall cabinets. Lots of bass and treble, close to zero mids. Keep in mind what others said, James layered track upon track upon track of rhythm guitar, so live that tone is quite simply not going to happen. Also, the mixers and mics as well as mic preamps and everything else made the sound too, not just the amps. EMG pickups were used in this album, in primarily ESP guitars (mahogany bodies for a bass heavy rhythm tone). Without millions of dollars in equipment (as well as the exact playing style of one James Hetfield), you are not going to get that tone. (The reason I'm only mentioning James is because up until the Load albums and beyond, James played every single rhythm track on every Metallica studio release.) Source: www.montyjay.com
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
Quote by fitzyfantastic
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ heads slaved into Marshall JMP heads (So you have the Mesa preamp and Marshall power amp) with Marshall cabinets. Lots of bass and treble, close to zero mids. Keep in mind what others said, James layered track upon track upon track of rhythm guitar, so live that tone is quite simply not going to happen. Also, the mixers and mics as well as mic preamps and everything else made the sound too, not just the amps. EMG pickups were used in this album, in primarily ESP guitars (mahogany bodies for a bass heavy rhythm tone). Without millions of dollars in equipment (as well as the exact playing style of one James Hetfield), you are not going to get that tone. (The reason I'm only mentioning James is because up until the Load albums and beyond, James played every single rhythm track on every Metallica studio release.) Source: www.montyjay.com

Hes got it exactly right. though a JCM 800 will nail those tones very well as will a mesa Mark IIc and up. And about hetfields style its not hard to copy though its just all down picking though his rhythm skills are far beyond the time he was in
theirs always someone who will crush the dream.. lol, I wasnt enquiring (Sp?) about getting it, I was just wondering what they used..
I though Metallica used the ADA MP1 on AJFA?
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Another part of the sound on that album is due in part to the fact that it's pretty much mid-less, with pumped up highs and lows.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I heard Metallica does alot of layering too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?