I'm considering a used Peavey 5150. What would you consider a good price/deal on one in good condition?
they are nice amps, just see how much they are new and if in perfect condition scrap a little off the price.
I don't believe they make them any more. I believe it was replaced By the 6505.
I would think 800-1000 depending on how used it was. I'm saving up for the 6505 version myself.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
Quote by fireman464
I'm considering a used Peavey 5150. What would you consider a good price/deal on one in good condition?

Brand new they come at about £1200/$1150 (Yeah I know America is lucky :P) on eBay you could probably get one around $500 - $700... If your in England liek me they're hard to find relatively cheap =/
Quote by fireman464
I don't believe they make them any more. I believe it was replaced By the 6505.

Yeah you won't find a new anymore unless you're real lucky.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
Quote by Untitled001
Well the 5150 and 6505 are pretty mcuh exactly the same....

I've heard that. That's one reason I'm thinking used. Savings!!!
You should be able to find one used anywhere from $500-$800, don't pay more than that for a 5150 used, unless there are some neat mods done by reputable amp techs.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
You should be able to find one used anywhere from $500-$800, don't pay more than that for a 5150 used, unless there are some neat mods done by reputable amp techs.

Thanks for the info. What kinda mods are we talking about? By the way I saw a used one on eBay for $549.00 buy it now price. That's what got me wondering about pricing.
roughly 600-800... bidders go nuts for the Block Letter (EVH instead of sig) versions... all of em (5150 BL, sig, and 6505) sound the same
Founder of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join

Member #6 'I <3 mids' club. PM Roc8995.

My Name is: Tony
The 5150 and 6505 are the exact same amp, the same goes for the 5150 II and 6505 +. The bock letter head just had better stock tubes when it was released, but rule 1 of buying an amp of Ebay is to replace the tubes asap. Don't pay more than 1000 bucks for a used 5150/6505 or 5150 II/6505 +.

EDIT: Why didn't I whip this out before? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376795
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Last edited by Cone 21 at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by Cone 21
The 5150 and 6505 are the exact same amp, the same goes for the 5150 II and 6505 +. The bock letter head just had better stock tubes when it was released, but rule 1 of buying an amp of Ebay is to replace the tubes asap. Don't pay more than 1000 bucks for a used 5150/6505 or 5150 II/6505 +.

Thanks for the advice.
it depends you buying a head or a combo
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
i almost got one. it's perfect for metal or rock, unless you need a clean channel, in which case you're out of luck, cuz it pretty much sucks.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
i almost got one. it's perfect for metal or rock, unless you need a clean channel, in which case you're out of luck, cuz it pretty much sucks.

I disagree, the clean channel is passable, but why the hell would you be buying a gain *****'s amp such as the 5150 for the cleans?
i agree 5150 isnt bought for its cleans its bought for its distortion.

Buying a 5150 for its cleans is like buying a MG for its distortion. It just doesnt happen.

They are great amps though and with a nice chorus pedal the cleans become much better
Quote by Syn Harvest

Buying a 5150 for its cleans is like buying a MG for its distortion. It just doesnt happen.

They are great amps though and with a nice chorus pedal the cleans become much better

oh snap!
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by Syn Harvest

Buying a 5150 for its cleans is like buying a MG for its reliability and good tone. It just doesnt happen.

Corrected
good job JMac thx for the correction lol

My friend got a 5150 head for $350 online used... He picked up a cab for around $300-400 added, so total was $750 at most for a 5150 + cab. That's shipped.
I have the cab, so the head only is what I need. I'm torn between the 5150 and a Marshall JCM 800 or JCM 2000. I know they both are good amps. I just need to decide on which sound I really want. If I could get a killer deal that may decide it for me.
I'll tell you this, the Jcm is WAY better for the classic crunch, but not that great for modern metal

EDIT: I meant the jcm 800
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Last edited by Guitarist X at Aug 26, 2006,
JCM 2000's aren't bad for metal.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It depends on what music you like to play. The JM800 will be better for more classic rock, a little darker than the Peavey. The 5150 is better IMHO for modern rock and metal. Unless you get a smokin deal on the JCM2000 I'd go with a 5150 instead.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
It depends on what music you like to play. The JM800 will be better for more classic rock, a little darker than the Peavey. The 5150 is better IMHO for modern rock and metal. Unless you get a smokin deal on the JCM2000 I'd go with a 5150 instead.

I play a of classic and modern. From what I've seen, I'm finding better deals on the 5150.
^Do you play both classic and modern, like 50/50?
If so, a JCM 900 might be good.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?