Alright, I'm pretty frustrated in my search for music colleges. Everytime I find somewhere promising, I find out that only classical guitar is offered as a principal instrument. I need someone who knows to suggest possible safety schools for me. The only real requirement is that the school offers electric/contemporary guitar as a principal instrument. I'd prefer a school in the northeast to be close to home, etc. but at this point I'd take a college in California if I had to.

My application list at the moment:
Berklee (top choice, of course)
University of the Arts (Philadelphia)
Mansfield University (Safety, and I know people who've gone there for music who say their program is great.)

I'm sure there has to be a college somewhere, so help me find it!
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
^ I was wondering the same thing , I mean I love guitar but classical is just not me but I want to pursue a carrer in music....What can people like us do?
I may be wrong, but can't you get into Berklee pretty easily as long as you have the money and a decent background? That was the impression that I got, although it could be wrong.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
I may be wrong, but can't you get into Berklee pretty easily as long as you have the money and a decent background? That was the impression that I got, although it could be wrong.

Not anymore. They got a new president and they changed the audition requirements and things so that people that actually deserve to get in do.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Someone needs to make a school that is based on rock music lol.

there is no way you could have a 4 year program. It would be all about interpreting 3 bits of music theory in 8000 different styles of "rock".
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
classical guitar is great, i don't see the problem in taking that, many great guitarists started out with classical - i wouldn't mind taking classical at all, i'd enjoy it

isn't MI extremely expensive, just like Berklee? i know that the tuition for Berklee is about $20,000 a semester (or year, not sure) but you might be able to get grants and such...and i can't find any financial information on MI...i'm looking to get into a decent music college, but i don't know where to start because i'm sure as hell not from an upper-class family with millions of dollars stashed away...does the audition affect your tuition in any way?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what those audition requirements would be. I'm not planning on a music degree, but thats something that'd be interesting to know.
Quote by gtgram14
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what those audition requirements would be. I'm not planning on a music degree, but thats something that'd be interesting to know.

from what i've found on the Berklee site, it's pretty simple stuff i.e. major and minor arpeggios, being able to play scale sequences at 100 bpm, playing back something being played to you on the guitar, chord voicings...i'm not entirely sure how hard it is, but it doesn't look like you'll need to be a master at theory or technique to ace the audition
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

The problem with Berklee isn't to get into it, but to stay there.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
you can also audition for scholarships, but you have to be an "exceptionally gifted student" to be eligible and 5 of the top performers will receive the Presidential Scholarship which covers nearly all costs
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by gogita21
Not anymore. They got a new president and they changed the audition requirements and things so that people that actually deserve to get in do.

Hmm, I guess that's a plus. I doubt it's insanely difficult to get in, but you will probably have to find your own apartment from what I've heard.

Most schools where I am (Rhode Island, southern Mass) that I've looked at seem to be mostly classically oriented in the music program, so I have nothing in the way of backups, unfortunately.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
does anybody know of a university with a music program with the oppurtunity to major in guitar or performance like Berklee or MI that's not nearly as outrageously expensive?
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!