Hey all;

Considering changing the bridge on my BC Rich NJ series to a tremolo bridge of some description. I've been kind of out of the loop over the last few years about technologies and developments, etc. and am just starting to get back into it.

My other guitar has a Washburn "Wonderbar." It is a heavy-as-anything tremolo bridge that sits ON your guitar. You can crank on it all day long and the tuning is rock solid. But.... it's mobility is a bit limited. Big dive-bombs and "pull-ups" or whatever you call them are sort of "out of its range."

I hear people complaining all the time about how much of a pain the Floyd Rose bridges are, though they seem to certainly do the job, and are still popular enough. There was a competing company in the '80's that some people really dug... Kaeller or something like that.

What types of bridges might I look for? I'm not against having my guitar routed if necessary.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
you mean Kahler. ummm Floyd Rose lots of routing required to get it full floating especially if your guitar isnt even routed for a tremolo then its going to be a real pain in the ass. Kahler less routing required but still good but very different compared to a FR and cant do all the things a FR can but in its own right its ****ing good
Thanks, so far. :-)

So what are the limitations/shortcomings of the Kahler bridges?

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

you can easily hit flutters with a floyd rose bridge compared to a Kahler trem system

"If you like your divebombs to sustain until the strings are completely floppy, choose the Floyd.

If you dont want your strings to pop off of their saddle after that floppy divebomb, choose the Floyd.

IMO, if you want the best reliability, stability, divebomb sustain, tuning, ease of care, etc., choose a recessed Floyd."

what a person said when comparing a Kahler to a Floyd Rose for a custom RV
So the general consensus is that they're worth the hassle, or is the hassle I'm hearing about kind of overstated?

Chris

well that was just only one mans opinion, you should stick to the old floyd rose bridge if you know how to use it unless you want a challenge the get the kahler but dont expect it to cure cancer