Sorry... I started this and it got locked. I tried to find a technique thread as suggested, and this was the closest I could find. Hopefully this will be acceptable.

Hey all;

Question about tapping....

I find when I am tapping that it is hard to avoid extranneous noise that occurs when my right hand near my palm touches the strings. I touch the strings to try to avoid excess noise by damping them with my palm, but you get that sound underneath that sounds like you're rubbing your hand on them. Not terrible, but noticeable. Not as clean as I would like. Some of my tapping requires that I move my hand, say tapping the 15, 17, 19th frets in alternation over top of my left hand fingers playing the 9th and 12th fret. (essentially an A triad made up of C#, E and A, with the right hand sketching out a melody of A, B, C# notes over top).

I've tried tapping so that only my tapping finger(s) touch the strings, and only when they are needed at the moment of tapping, but the excess noise is even worse, just due to movement of the guitar, etc.

I guess it is a matter of adjusting *something* so that it fits in best with the least of the evils I described above.

Just not sure which one....

Thanks!
Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
if you have a wristband or something...put it on the first fret so it will mute any Xcess noise. a sock, wristband, something like that will do good.
......rock on brother......
You could always just put a wristband under the headstock...
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
^^ that would stop noise from other strings but not from his hand moving, plus it kinda sucks, try muting with your left hand with your index finger, that way no sliding noise from your right hand (ive actually never heard of doing that i cant think why you would :S)
yeah and you'd be proving your a sloppy player... the noise will still occur while tapping...just try not to dampen the strings too much with your palm or you'll get this littler percussive sound... anyways if your feeling the need to use a wristband... Go for It!
So I should try to keep my right hand clear of the strings when I tap?

Wouldn't putting something under the strings prevent them from ringing when I wanted them to ring, though?

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

yeah your right hand shouldn't be touching the strings except for when you actually tap

then just work on accuracy and muting strings you don't want ringing with your left.
Okay.... cool. I knew it had to be some aspect of my technique I need to tighten up, but wasn't sure where to start attacking it.

So, if I'm using my left hand to fret, say, the 9th and 12th frets as above, rather than being "conventionally" neat and fretting the ninth fret with the finger tip, I should extend my first finger up to try to mute the other strings, as if doing a barre?

Thanks!
Chris

Aw.... dangit! Just found this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTY5vcGdgY&mode=related&search=

Paul Gilbert tapping... my right hand position looks fairly similar to his. He seems to be damping the bottom strings with his right palm, and his left hand is fretting the strings the way you would otherwise expect him to.... the way I was doing it.

*confused*

CT

His hand's really close, but it's not touching. The trick is to lay your thumb on top of the neck instead of your palms on the string. That keeps your tapping hand anchored and gives you a way to guide it. The extra noise on other strings is either overtones ringing on other strings, which you can kill with a real quick mute while your hand is steady (your palm does touch there), or sloppey technique -- in which case you need to slow down and practice cleaning it up.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
The quality (or lack thereof) of your pickups is a contributor to the problem no doubt.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
plug your amp in?
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Corwinoid - Thanks. I'll give that a whirl. It sounds totally reasonable.

Ace88 - I'm not disputing your comment about pickups, but could you elaborate more? Are you suggesting my pickups are too sensitive, and if so, is that really a bad thing?

magicninja - that is a good idea for recording. I wouldn't have thought of that, and it makes the other posts about the sock/wristband thing make more sense to me. I was dismissing those as a means of playing in a live context, but for recording.... yeah.

Chris

Yeah I used to use a hair tie like a scrunchie or something. It's just to mute the strings and works great. It shouldn't be leaned on or else when you play lve where it isn't practical to have one on all the time the sloppiness of your tech will come out. I also use it whiloe recording sweeps and sometimes if it's some thing fast through all the leads.
you will never hear any of that little noise in a live situation. you might even be hearing it right off the guitar if you arent playing very loud through your amp. but even still throw in a drummer and bass and all of that will go away. everything sounds different live.
True enough....

Chris

try tapping with your index finger & holding onto the neck with your middle & thumb...Gilbert rests his palm on the strings,which is what you're doing,but he's a master so...
I am a right handed player, should I be doing hammer ons and pull offs with my left hand? And I notice alot of noise when switching between strings. Will all of the above techiniques work for me also?
Man...this guy doesn't even need to write a suicide note. He can just leave a link to this thread on his computer and everyone will understand.