Hey guys, I was just wondering if the U2 song, "Where The Streets Have No Name" is about heaven.

Hopefully some of you hardcore U2 fans can help me out with this.

Thanks!
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
am i the only one who thinks U2 do not have songs that are that greatly written?
"There is no dark side in the moon, Matter of fact, its all dark"

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?

*Official Deadhead*
Quote by MountainJam
am i the only one who thinks U2 do not have songs that are that greatly written?

nope
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Quote by alliwant
The Edge is seriously cool though.

True that
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by MountainJam

Kind of like your sentence structure? Just messing around.

Hmm, I always interpreted the song as being about heaven, but I haven't looked into a lot of their lyrics. I love the intro to the song, though.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
After this i'm done insulting U@, but just to support my statement with a little song most of you recognized how crappy it was, as soon as you heard the first lyric

Unos, dos, tres, catorce (1,2,3,14) [let me guess miss counting in spanish is lyrical genius]
Turn it up loud, captain!

Lights go down
It's dark
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart
I'm feeling so much stronger [this whole verse is just a mismatch of different lines that popped into his head]
Than I thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
it can't be bought
your mind can wander

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called vertigo [Ok this is just gotten so bad, I'm gonna give up pointing out the faults]
It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something I can feel
Feel

The night is full of holes
Those bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the boys play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know

I can't stand the beat
I'm askin' for the cheque
Girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus 'round the neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Woooao

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo (D�nde est�s?) [Where are you?]
But you give me something I can feel
Feel

All this, all this can be yours
All of this, all of this can be yours
All this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo
Lights go down and all I know
Is that you give me something I can feel
You're teaching me ...aaahhh
Your love is teaching me ...aaaah
How to kneel
Kneel

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

*Official Deadhead*
Last edited by MountainJam at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by MountainJam
After this i'm done insulting U@, but just to support my statement with a little song most of you recognized how crappy it was, as soon as you heard the first lyric

Unos, dos, tres, catorce (1,2,3,14) [let me guess miss counting in spanish is lyrical genius]
Turn it up loud, captain!

Lights go down
It's dark
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart
I'm feeling so much stronger [ this whole verse is just a mismatch of different lines that Than I thought popped into his head]
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
it can't be bought
your mind can wander

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called vertigo [Ok this is just gotten so bad, I'm gonna give up] It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something I can feel
Feel

The night is full of holes
Those bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the boys play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know

I can't stand the beat
I'm askin' for the cheque
Girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus 'round the neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Woooao

Hello, Hello
Hola!
But you give me something I can feel
Feel

All this, all this can be yours
All of this, all of this can be yours
All this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo
Lights go down and all I know
Is that you give me something I can feel
You're teaching me ...aaahhh
Your love is teaching me ...aaaah
How to kneel
Kneel

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

Right, so their latest album 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' was a whole load of absolute shit. Yes, we get it.

War, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum and Acthung Baby are all fucking brilliant albums.
Bono is a great singer and The Edge is a fantastic guitar player; sure he doesn't have flashy leads, but his riffs and rhythm work are brilliant.
Quote by MountainJam

How does this insult me? I was merely pointing out the irony in your poorly worded statement that bashed U2's writing.

It's nothing against you; it was only a joke. However, judging by your lengthy response to get back at me, the joke passed over your head. Next time realize that it's all in fun.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Right, so their latest album 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' was a whole load of absolute shit. Yes, we get it.

War, The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum and Acthung Baby are all fucking brilliant albums.
Bono is a great singer and The Edge is a fantastic guitar player; sure he doesn't have flashy leads, but his riffs and rhythm work are brilliant.

I'm not insultign their musical talent. I'm just insulting how some people portray their songs as so magnifenctly written (there was even one of their songs in my highschool Lit Book along with a Billy Joel song [?]). Neil Young,Bob Dylan, Pete Townshed, Roger Waters, Robert Hunter, John Lennon, etc. deserve to be admired for their lyrics (not always their music too) but Bono and the Edge should just stick to their adequate songwriting and just let their music and careers define who they are.

Quote by psychodelia
How does this insult me? I was merely pointing out the irony in your poorly worded statement that bashed U2's writing.

It's nothing against you; it was only a joke. However, judging by your lengthy response to get back at me, the joke passed over your head. Next time realize that it's all in fun.

I wasn't responding to what you said, I know my sentence was very poorly worded I was just expanding my argument.

*Official Deadhead*
Quote by MountainJam

It's "Donde Esta" which means "where is it"...also it would be "estas" not "estos".....someone needs to practice their Spanish
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Quote by MountainJam
I wasn't responding to what you said, I know my sentence was very poorly worded I was just expanding my argument.

lol then next time don't hit @ instead of 2. THAT's what you meant.... I thought you were talking to me and had just hit @ after U by mistake.

Vertigo isn't a good song for me, although I like the writing on stuff of the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Anyhow, this mess seems cleared up.
Quote by stonegolem13
It's "Donde Esta" which means "where is it"...also it would be "estas" not "estos".....someone needs to practice their Spanish

I copied it off a website, I didn't translate it myself the website did it, thats why its in brackets

*Official Deadhead*
Well I'm sorry but the website owner needs to brush up on his Spanish then
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
great song that
joshua tree is one of the best albums ever made
every track is great, running to stand still is the best IMO

wat happened to U2, they were once so good, their last 2 albums suck something shocking

wow, i should think before i write. coz clearly i suck at it
Quote by MountainJam
How do i contract brain damage?
the edge is a cool name for a dude in a less cool band

and i think some crappy mexican citys dont name their streets
^i only sed that so my post was somewhat relevant to the topic
Where the Streets Have No Name is about Ireland...there was a place there were you were judged on your class based on the street you lived on...so Bono was imagining a place where the streets have no name and you're not judged based on how you live.

That's what my friend's Irish father told me.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.