Okay, so I moved to this apartment building, and I can't crank up my Classic at 3AM at night as it wakes up around fifty people at once and makes them really angry. Consequently, I'm thinking of getting a little amp to cover that time of the day.

I want something that makes a decent sound, headphone line out, and.. um, that's pretty much it. Wattage wouldn't be all that important. Cleans are most necessary, but a good distortion channel preferable - I'd like tonal variation. I guess I'm in line for a modelling amp here, but I have next to no idea about them.

Things I hear about are Roland Cubes and Microcube, and VOX ADxVT. The problem, is I snooped around and couldn't find any Rolands or VOX under 50w, and I'm interested in smaller ones.

Also, has anyone had any experiences with Epi Vlave Jr or Ibanez Valbee (the Valbee looks like everything I need, but I can't try it either)?

So shoot your opinions and experience accounts at me. Any alternative recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks guys!
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
roland makes a 15 and vox makes a 15 and a 30
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
VOX has some smaller amps. If all you can get is 50w is does have a volume control, that will allow you to turn it down and still get the full sound. Maybe volume control is not the right word, but, it's on the back of the amp, like a presence control.
the 15watt and 30 watt also have that "volume control"...actually its a wattage control...
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Thanks for your replies, guys!

Yeah, I know both cube and AD come in low wattages, I just can't find them in stores around here.

As far as getting a 50w and limiting it goes - I don't really feel like paying for 50w of power when all I need is just 15w at most.

I'm thinking a budget of $250 tops.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The Valbee's supposed to be amazing.

Vox do the DA-5, which is like their version of the microcube, but it's supposedly not as good as the higher ADXXVTs.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Try a Microcube or a Valbee.

Quote by timi_hendrix
The Valbee's supposed to be amazing.

Vox do the DA-5, which is like their version of the microcube, but it's supposedly not as good as the higher ADXXVTs.

The Valbee does look attractive, even if on top of my price range. Although, people tend to say Ibanez amps are rubbish - so I wanted a firsthand account of one before committing to it.

Ooh, I did see the DA-5... It sat in a rather indistinct white box. It's not all that, you say?
I would consider something like a PodXt instead of an amp. You just plug into it and put on headphones, play whatever you like, direct recording if you like, nice effects run into your amp.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
I would consider something like a PodXt instead of an amp. You just plug into it and put on headphones, play whatever you like, direct recording if you like, nice effects run into your amp.

Mm, not quite what I'm looking for. I'd rather have a full amp to take places with me if I need to, not just an fx box.
Try one of the Marshall MGDFX amps. They have a 30w and a 15w too I believe. I've got the 30 myself. Headphones are no problem at all. You have some effects onboard with it, and a clean and OD channel to select from, can use a footswitch with it and even run a line from another source (cd) if you want to.

Adam
ya but you buit that by the way once again very nice
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I have The Ibanez Valbee, and it's definitely good value, and far better than the much touted Epi Valve Junior. It's got an effects loop, headphones/rec out, active tone controls and a boost button, and it has a surprisingly full sound for such a small speaker (6.5").
- Oh yes, and a standby switch.
I've had it about 6 months with no problems at all.
I've got the Epiphone Valve Special and I really like it. A bit more money than the Jr., has a bigger speaker, has eq, and has some effects on it. It would still be too loud at full blast at 3 am though.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
an ad30vt would do the job. you can turn it down to the point that the guitar acoustically is louder than the amp.

get the 50, it can turn down (for all intents and purposes) just as low as the 30, but you will have headroom, and beter tone at the same volumes.

the ad15vt, da5 and valbee or whatever that was, dont have the wattage control that goes to like .1 watt, the da5 is stuck at 5 watts. louder than you think.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
^^ Both 50 and 30 are still too much. Not just wattage, but size too (oh the living on 450 sq ft ). My Peavey covers the loud zone, and this baby will mostly go into headphones.

Quote by reeced
I have The Ibanez Valbee, and it's definitely good value, and far better than the much touted Epi Valve Junior. It's got an effects loop, headphones/rec out, active tone controls and a boost button, and it has a surprisingly full sound for such a small speaker (6.5").

Mm, sweet! How's the EQ on it, makes a noticeable tone difference? It's advertised as high-gain, does it overdrive fast on lower volumes? I don't suppose I'll have a problem sending it into OD with EMGs, just wondering how much headroom for cleans that leaves. (I'm always guilty of wanting to buy yet another Ibanez product )
Quote by pifty

Mm, sweet! How's the EQ on it, makes a noticeable tone difference?

Because the EQ is active, small adjustments can make a vast difference. Although the manual does give some suggested settings, it does take a bit of time to get acquainted with it.

It's advertised as high-gain, does it overdrive fast on lower volumes?

It overdrives very nicely, with the boost button you can overdrive at any volume.

I don't suppose I'll have a problem sending it into OD with EMGs, just wondering how much headroom for cleans that leaves. (I'm always guilty of wanting to buy yet another Ibanez product )

I've got a Yamaha SG2000 fitted with EMG81s and it sounds great from clean to creamy blues, to out and out mayhem.
Quote by reeced
Because the EQ is active, small adjustments can make a vast difference. Although the manual does give some suggested settings, it does take a bit of time to get acquainted with it.

It overdrives very nicely, with the boost button you can overdrive at any volume.

I've got a Yamaha SG2000 fitted with EMG81s and it sounds great from clean to creamy blues, to out and out mayhem.

After a forage on harmony-central reviews, I think I'm sold on ValBee... Looks like I found myself a back to school present. Thanks for your help, reeced
Dean Markley K-20x perfect in an apartment building... it got nice overdrive too... by the way its 40 watts
Quote by reeced

Anyone else have an opinion on the valbee, the guitar store place was like "dont even plug into that its horrible" when i asked him about the valbee, i know his background is classic rock music, so is that why, or is he just being narrowminded...like i just want something tube for bedroom levels, that still has bite, i had to sell my 65watt crate for a 15 watt spyder 2 (poor bastard i know), will the valbee at least put my **** spyder to shame?
Quote by d_byrne23
Anyone else have an opinion on the valbee, the guitar store place was like "dont even plug into that its horrible" when i asked him about the valbee, i know his background is classic rock music, so is that why, or is he just being narrowminded...like i just want something tube for bedroom levels, that still has bite, i had to sell my 65watt crate for a 15 watt spyder 2 (poor bastard i know), will the valbee at least put my **** spyder to shame?

What sort of a salesman would say that, unless he's trying to sell you something else where his margins will be greater.
All I can suggest is that you plug into it and decide for yourself. Better still, if he's that convinced that "it's horrible" then he won't mind if you take it home to try it in your own room. Remember it's a small amp and it will sound better in a small room, rather then in a large store.