...well, at least for me. i started to learn don't cry by GN'R and the song isn't really hard, even the solo, except for this little fast part in it... so i started slowly, at half speed and now i can play it at 55bpm, i make a mistake occasionally but i can play it. the song normally plays at 62bpm. is this the right way to learn fast parts?
i pick every note in that part (alternate picking) and it's supposed to be played with hammer ons and pull offs. so i was wondering if i should continue to practice it with alternate picking or am i doing wrong and should start all over again with hammer ons and pull offs?
i need your advice, cause i've never played a fast part like that before and i want to learn it correctly...
here's the tab.
Attachments:
tricky part.jpg
yes, start slow and the work up, your doing it right you should use the hammer ons and pull offs (but if you want to incorporate your own style in the solo go ahead), It's a good song too
use guitar pro and press F9 (the practice-option)
this should help a lot...also start from low speed and work your way up!
maybe have a loook at freelicks.net and buy kristofer dahls dvd
speed, TOne & THeory
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
You don't need to buy anything. Just try using the hammer ons and pull offs.
Even if your alternate is a bit slow, try hammer ons and pulloffs, its faster and easier.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Even if your alternate is a bit slow, try hammer ons and pulloffs, its faster and easier.

yea i know it should be... but it felt kinda sloppy so i just continued to aternate pick each note.
i'll try again...
Mute the string with your index fretting finger so that the G/B string wont ring when you pull off.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^^i'm already doing it... just that my hammer ons and pull offs don't sound as good as if i was picking. well i guess it's practice time...
btw, thanks.
Quote by 666_Belial
yea i know it should be... but it felt kinda sloppy so i just continued to aternate pick each note.
i'll try again...

Well, what you discovered is a problem in your playing. You should try and play it
the way it's tabbed and not cover up with another method. In this case, it looks
like your hammer and pulloff skill isn't very developed. So, in addition to trying to
work through this solo, you should be doing a LOT of hammeron pulloff exercises
that will develop your skill in this area.
^^yea, you're right. i mean, i could hammer on and pull off pretty good before, but only slower... so, i've been practicing this h.o. and p.o. thing a lot since i started this thread, and i'm already doing much better.
Last edited by 666_Belial at Aug 27, 2006,
it took me a few days to get it down right but it will be worth it just keep plugging away
I had the same problem on the same song a while ago.

I uploaded a tab onto Powertab,which you can download free here, and changed the tempo to the fastest I could go, put it on a 24 time repeat, but made it so at the 24th time it would be 5npm faster, see if I could do it. Now I can play that whole solo at Slash's speed.

Hope that helps.
R E G G A E