I just heard this guy . . . wow

I literally sat in disbelief.

Is it possible to learn that kinda style ?

Anything i should know ? im gonna try learn that kinda speed.

So anythin at all (Guitars , Safety , Metronome etc) advice would be helpful thanks.
NUMBER ONE. theres no easy way out. its pretty simple work, but it takes focus. basically start as slow as you can on the metrenome. slow enough that everything you play is perfect. you practice at that speed until you feel you have mastered it. then move up 8-10 bpm. you do this until youve reached your desired tempo. this may take a LONG time. people like herman have been practicing for 4 hours and more a day for years. but stick with it, youll be shredding like a mutha.

for speed, a thinner neck always helps. also, distortion wise, less is more. the pros use little distortion when they play, so it doesnt muddy up their playing.

for safety, its important to NEVER keep on going if you feel pain. if you feel pain while practising, stop. take a break. your doing something wrong. play as stress free as possible. dont tense up. tensing up can cause repetetive strain injury. i find picking with your wrist and or index finger and thumb are the most stress free ways to pick, as oposed to with your arm.

well, thats all ive got, good luck with your practicing.
you can't learn a style
you should have a Floyd Rose with some serious grip or it will rip your guitar...
and you should seriously practice every technique over years and master it (as far as it's possible)
not everybody is able to play that good...
and safety: don't gear yourself off...always warm up!
guitars: with a FR and a small long neck (24 frets)
and of course metronome
and start really slow!!!
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
You should hear him live. He sucks major balls.

But to answer your question, no. I have no idea.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
You should hear him live. He sucks major balls.

But to answer your question, no. I have no idea.

Really ?

Surely it isnt studio effects.

Anyway yeah im gonna use all these tips thanks everyone.
Quote by Braindoctor
Really ?

Surely it isnt studio effects.

Anyway yeah im gonna use all these tips thanks everyone.

Well maybe I was a bit harsh. He is often drunk when he plays live and is very sloppy. However, I'm sure, when sober and concentrating, he is as amazing as he sounds in the studio.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Defninetly metronome's or speed trainers like the ones in guitar pro. Thats a good start. Try learning all of the rhythym parts first. Trust me...they're hard too. Learning those parts will help you get the overall feel and changes in the song burned into your head. So when you go for the lead, you'll be ready for the changes and wont be like "wtf, i never heard that in there" Listen to dragonforce's songs closely herman puts a lot of tiny off the wall riffs behind the rhythym track. As always start off at a snails pace and work your way up gradually until can play it clean and fast. If your wrist starts to hurt after trying to play something fast over and over...stop. Stretch your hands out and rest for a few. That happened to me and my fingers litterally locked up for like fifteen minutes. Speed picking or tremolo picking is a must, and brush up on your sweep picking also. He's got plenty of that in there too. Basically any advanced technique is there. Some of the nintindoesque sounds you hear are a combination of wah wah, whammy bar, and bending the strings completely off the fretboard. herman uses no special effects pedals. Its all him. Just a little something extra, whether you like them or not, Lamb of God uses some pretty strange fingering techniques in some of they're older albums. Those are very good riffs to practice with for speed and fingerstrength. Not only do they strengthen up you fingers but some songs like laid to rest with its constant speed and changes also take a toll on your forearm muscles. Even if you dont like em, learning some of the riffs is a good way to learn different techiques that are also helpful with dragonforce songs. Listen closley, start slowly, if it hurts step back for a few, try to nail as many advanced techniques as possible, any kind of speed picking and sweep picking, and finally, for those outlandish sounds they produce. all i can say is experiment with what i mentioned above. I cheat sometimes and use effects pedals, but i try to learn how they do as many as i can. Good luck...its some hard ****.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Well maybe I was a bit harsh. He is often drunk when he plays live and is very sloppy. However, I'm sure, when sober and concentrating, he is as amazing as he sounds in the studio.

Yeah i read he drinks alot before he goes on stage.
Quote by walkinbazooka

Yeah, he is often drunk when playing. Sloppy as he can be sometimes, ive never seen anyone fall down, hit they're head on a speaker cabinet and keep the solo going almost perfectly...untill i saw dragoforce live. Obviously there was a slight intrusion when he first hit but he finished the f*cker half uncouncious on the floor. Simply amazing.
Quote by metal_man12
distortion wise, less is more. the pros use little distortion when they play, so it doesnt muddy up their playing.

Really? How d'you know that?
Quote by xion665
Yeah, he is often drunk when playing. Sloppy as he can be sometimes, ive never seen anyone fall down, hit they're head on a speaker cabinet and keep the solo going almost perfectly...untill i saw dragoforce live. Obviously there was a slight intrusion when he first hit but he finished the f*cker half uncouncious on the floor. Simply amazing.

Wow. well i believe that he has amazing talent but he could be much more precise in his playing if he weren't such a drunkard. that's all im saying.
Quote by shattamakar

you hould try children of bodoms songs aswell theyre fast and really melodic like dragonforce and if you dont like the vocals try ignore them and listen to the unbelievable musicianship behind, its soooooo good, trust me, try 'kissing the shadows' and 'children of bodom' by this band
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
Really? How d'you know that?

you have to really listen hard, but you can hear that they dont have much distortion in at all. probably close to like 5-6 (or around 12 to 2 oclock for those who have knobs with out numbers) it just sounds like theyve got alot of distortion in because they play so clearly, have delay and chorus on, and etc.
Last edited by metal_man12 at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by Robman2k9
I read in Guitar world that he has a classical background, if that helps

No, I think that was the other guy.
Get Pro Tools, an engineer, and a producer. That's all you need to "learn" to play like Herman Li.

Get a new idol. I'm sorry if I seem blunt, but I hate the guy, and there ARE people out there who are consistent with harder stuff that's more musical and they do pull it off live without any drinking excuses.

And yes, metal_man12 is right, you don't need a lot of gain. Ofcourse it helps to pad your ego about what a good player you are because it covers up your mistakes...

I suggest if you really want to learn how to play stuff like that, you do a little search in the shred forum for "starting to shred", or a sentence like that, you'll likely find a bunch of topics concerning it, if you don't, start a new topic and people will either point you to a relevant topic or help you with it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by wasp2020
No, I think that was the other guy.

No, it says Li started out playing cassical guitar and plays neoclassical runs influenced by Steve Vai.
Quote by Ali_Boulala
you can't learn a style
you should have a Floyd Rose with some serious grip or it will rip your guitar...
and you should seriously practice every technique over years and master it (as far as it's possible)
not everybody is able to play that good...
and safety: don't gear yourself off...always warm up!
guitars: with a FR and a small long neck (24 frets)
and of course metronome
and start really slow!!!

This is horrible advice. Yes, you can learn style. By breaking down someones work and learning how to play it and all the little things that make him sound the way he does, you can write material using similar techniques and phrasing.

Second, anyone can play that good if they are physically capable and put their mind to it. It takes hours of devotion but anyone can do it.

As to the person above talking about pain, there's good pain and bad pain. Anyone should be able to tell the difference between a hand that's sore from a good practice and a hand that has something seriously wrong with it. If you don't know the difference then I suppose you'd better stop yes.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
He's too cocky I prefer Yngwie !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Saw him live at ozzfest he still played well. tho the whole betcha cant play this on guitar world was garbage, asked him about it at the signing tent and he said they were hung over as hell before they did it ha.

As for the question, practice and make sure u use a metronome. No quick way to get good other then be focused and play alot and progress. Learn a lot of neoclassical stuff too to stay with in his 'style' and get effects for the video game tone.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Wow. well i believe that he has amazing talent but he could be much more precise in his playing if he weren't such a drunkard. that's all im saying.

Dont take what i said offensive or anything, i wasnt being aggressive in my statement. It was spoken passively.
Yeah I understood. I said "wow" as in "wow that's amazing what he did at that cancert."
Quote by shattamakar

Hey no in the magazine I read it defenitely said Sam had the classical background and Herman taught himself.

But remember be ready to spend years playing 4+ hours a day to get their. Then once your their they're still playing hours a day.
Quote by bluespunkmetal
He's too cocky I prefer Yngwie !!

HAHA!!!

You're kidding rite? Yngwie is one of the most cocky, full of himself people ever.

"YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE ****ING FURY"
~Yngwie Malmsteen
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

What's up with people saying he sucks? He's probably better than everyone here.