I'm setting up my board now and am experimenting with different pedal signal configurations. Thought I would toss this up and see how some of you would use the gear I have, if it was your own.

Guitar (Les Paul or Strat) Out -->

Choices to build chain:

Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss CE-2 Chorus
Boss CS-2 Compressor
Boss GE-7 Eq
Aphex Xciter
Zoom 505II
Pod 2.0

Signal into Marshall Amp or computer for recording.

Thoughts, ideas and why? Just curious what others would do.

Adam
IMO personally for me i would take the Les Paul and the Marshall amp and sratch the rest of that ****. the pod and the zoom IMO are crap as i hate floorbased multieffects.

OD i would use a Maxon OD-9
Chorus the boss CE-2 would be acceptable
Compressor Maxon Compressor
EQ MXR 10 band EQ
ISP Decimator to cut back unwanted noise

You know whats funny in a couple of weeks im getting those two maxon pedals and that will be like my exact pedal rig
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I'm kinda partial to the zoom as it was the first pedal I got way back and frankly have had a lot of fun with it. No real complaints there. At this point I figured I would keep it in the chain for when I wanted to go to an acoustic signal or something funky. It can be bypassed completely with a quick step.

Funny you do not like the POD. I've had it for about a year now and even though there is a lot of hype about it, I just can never seem to dial in a tone that I truly like. Others I know tell me it's indespensable. I'm contemplating throwing it on ebay to fund another purchase

Adam
ya **** ground multi effects they are **** IMO. in all reality unles syour playign some weird ass mars volta kinda **** and need 4000 effects they are kinda pointless. get the essentials. What kinfd of music do you play?
I like to play alternative and rock as far as covers etc. For my own brand of crap you can check my myspace page. I just like to experiment really. Darken the lights, fill the room with smoke and see where my mind goes. No virtuoso here, so don't expect the next guitar GOD when you click this...

The music on the page was done with the les paul into the zoom direct into my computer.

www.myspace.com/magnusfortune

By the way, thanks for taking the time here. I'm literally sitting with pedals on the floor right now testing ideas.

Adam
Its kinda trippy like out there if i was on acid it would be real cool lol. it seems like you would need a kinda multi effects best to stick with what you got really experiment and see what you like. Like try a pedal and if you find it useful get it if not dont
the only good multi effects are the t.c. electronics ones, and you can't afford those. go with the maxons.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i beg to differe tuba Eventide blows TC away but those are even more expensive than tc
well yeah, but the t.c. is a good money/quality balance. and vai uses it on the zappa plays zappa tour.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Well I have been gradually snagging the other pedals along the way over the last year. Never put a board together and would just plug one or 2 in here and there and just mess around. I decided finally to just make a board so that 1. the pedals would have a home instead of a gear bag I use and 2. I could finally begin to really build a chain and see what I could come up with.

I've done some searches online for chain ideas and frankly have not come up with much. I posted this same question on 2 other forums and am not really getting much of a response. I'm really looking for the logic as to why things should be placed in a certain order.

Thanks for your input on the tunes!

Adam
Order matters very little just kepp playing around and moving them around till you find where you like them best there is no set in stone order for effects
Quote by Syn Harvest
Order matters very little just kepp playing around and moving them around till you find where you like them best there is no set in stone order for effects

This is a very inaccurate statement. The order of the effects in your chain is crucial to your overall tone, especially if you have several effects pedals. Personally, I would put the compressor at the beginning of the chain and modify the tone from there. You have the find your foundation first and the move to the modular effects. For example, if you had your compressor hooked up and the your flanger and then a distortion pedal it wouldn't sound very good because you would be putting distortion on after the flanger. Pedals like flangers, phasers, and funky stuff like that should come after. You get the idea.

Find your basic foundation and then mod it from there. This is my personal method and it works well for me. It may very for you depending on what your goals are.

Good luck!
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
i'd put the chorus, zoom and/or pod in the fx loop. but only if your gonna use their time based fx (no overdrive on the zoom or pod).
^i agree. having a cheap effects in the loop offers no benefits and u run the chance of humming.

and like said there's an order to pedals. i saw an article on it at Boss once. let me look again...

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

here's one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 26, 2006,
Put the effects where you think they're best...there's no rule saying you have to have a compressor at the beginning of your signal chain. It's not going to cause the planet to implode on itself. Mike Einziger put his compressor after his phasers and delays, and Trey Anastasio often placed his compressor after his 2 tube screamers. The whole point is to find what placement works best for your sound and what you personally prefer.

And another thing...there are many great multi-effects units. TC Electronics and Eventide are ungodly...I don't think they get much better than those units. But I'm quite fond of the GT-8 and have found many uses for it. It gives me the ability to create some of the craziest sound effects and odd tones that I really just couldn't come up with with regular stomp boxes. I've used 505's in the past and have found that they do generate noise and cause odd problems when the units are really pushed, but I used mine quite a bit for it's odd flanger and pitch shifting textures. I don't think the 505 was built to really work as hard as I pushed it, and it gave some very unique sounds that sat really well in the work I was doing in my last band.

Whatever works man...
if he checks out the link, he'll see they pretty much repeat what u say, except they aknowledge there is a common sense order, and go into the reason why certain pedals tend to sound better first or last.

and seeing as how he's been unable to get a good order yet...

also certain multi effects not others.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
^i agree. having a cheap effects in the loop offers no benefits and u run the chance of humming.

and like said there's an order to pedals. i saw an article on it at Boss once. let me look again...

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

here's one.

Great article! Thank you

Adam
OK was just messing around here and put the signal together like this...

Guitar > Xciter > Compressor > OD > EQ > chorus > Zoom > Computer

I did not bother with the Pod at this point. Anyway here is the current dilemma. NOISE

There is a hum going on that is low but not bad when all of the pedals are in off mode. The hum gets louder and louder as each pedal is switched on to finally an unbearable level if all pedals are on. I figure this is an electric hum so I experimented by removing some of them from the daisy chain and used individual power sources instead of just one for all. Hum is still there.

I'm using very small planet waves connecters between the boss pedals so there is not any excess wire and the xciter and zoom are connected with 12" cables.

Any ideas? HELP

Adam
You'll need a noise gate. From what I hear the ISP decimator works the best.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
nah its probably fixable.

how are u powering these pedals and have u tried taking off one at a time, see if uve got a bad wire?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I've used them all individually previously and never chained them before. I never really noticed or I guess paid attention to any low level hum. This seems to be like the hum gets louder as each pedal comes on. Ending in something that is pretty annoying. I'm powering the board with a surge protector and a couple of brand new wall warts and a brand new daisy chain. Makes no difference if I use more than one wart or go with one with a large enough capacity to handle everything.

I'm thinking a noise suppression pedal is probably the way to go as I have been online researching for a few hours now. Just pisses me off that you even need a product like that in the first place.

Adam
Well I did some more experimenting. Seems the chorus pedal is the biggest culprit of increased hum. I have the signal running from guitar > xciter > compressor > OD > EQ > chorus > zoom > amp/headphones.

The added noise is worst when trying to use any sort of overdrive or distortion setting on the zoom pedal. most other settings work fine. the chorus and zoom pedal do not work well together, it's an either or due to the noisy hum. I tried another outlet, checked the wires, etc. as well.

I think at this point a noise supressor pedal is a good idea. As even when not using either of those 2 pedals, there is always a low level hum present, even on clean settings. I'd like to remove that.
my old zoom hums all the time. worse with a single coil guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Try each pedal individually to see if the problem only happens when you have all of the pedals plugged in at the same time. At that point, it's probably a ground loop problem between the grounds on the signal chain and the ground on the power supplies. This is easily fixed by disconnecting one of the grounds on each patch cable in between the pedals (only on one side to maintain the ground shield through the cable). Do this if this is your only option...I would recommend against adding another pedal that could make the problem worse. Diagnose the problem before you start throwing noise suppression pedals into the mix.