At first I had my heart set on getting the M-400 because of the alder / dual emg 81 combo that matches the sound I like. I started researching the licensed floyd rose trem it comes with and I have to say its not looking very good... You see I hardly ever even use the trem and the floyd looks to be not worth the trouble, especially when it could be a lemon and cost me even more. (not that I couldn't handle tuning and string replacement, ect...)

With that in mind, I'm starting to look at the MH-400NT. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, but with mahogany body and emg 81 / 85 pickups. Does the mahogany and emg 85 really make that much of a differnce as far as tone? Oh, and if anyone here actually has one... does it really look like see-through-black in person? On most of the sites I've seen it on, it looks to be see-through-blue or even a purple-ish color.

Thanks for any help...
Last edited by CHIEF-CHEESE at Aug 27, 2006,
mahogony+emgs is a vast improvement over alder in my opinion, I had a jackson dk2 alder body with the combo and it still sounded good, but i definately would prefer them in mahogony..hope that helps
I've played the MH-400NT and it sounds great. It's also very easy to play. My buddy said the mahogany and emg 60 didn't make that much of a difference to him, but was still an improvment. And this guy is in love with ltd's. I myself was looking at the same guitar, but might go for a epi les paul custom instead, due to the fact the I'm going to be doing some blues stuff in the coming future.
Funnily I'm looking at them too, and, the same, I'm not too fond of the idea of paying more for a floyd rose I won't use much. The MH-400NT still has one emg 81 pickup, so the tone should be similar... But you should try them out in a shop you can find. Soon I'm gonna head to a few local shops to see what I can try, as I'd like to know what each guitar plays like. Thats probably your best bet for finding out what its like.
Yeah i went to go try one out at my local music store only to find they only carry Gibsons and Fenders... When i got home i jumped on esp.com and found an esp dealer not even 10 miles down the road. I might head over there sometime this week and mess around with some stuff and see what they have to tell me. Untill then I'll be playing metal on my dean acoustic...
Im no EMG expert but COUNTLESS threads have led me to beleive that the EMG 60 is a superior neck pickup than a 81. But try to get a hold of both and try them.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
60? No no no, it has the 85 in the neck which is a great pickup. Don't worry about the LFR in it, its fine just make sure that you can take care of one (cleaning, intonation, action). If you don't like it then just switch it out with an OFR Pro, but you will either have to go chrome or gold unless if you can fine a dealer that sells black ones since I haven't found any.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Uh, there isn't a 60 in the MH. But yes, the the EMGs and Mahogany sound very nice together. Besides, the MH series is better (IMO) than the M series anyway.

(lol, my avater is an MH-400)
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Can anyone say anything about the color though? I don't want to order this thing, open it up and be stuck with a purple guitar...
The MH-400 is the blue color you see in my avatar. The NT model looks like this:

Here's a blown up image of the MH-400

- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I own the MH-400 and the Floyd Rose stays in tune just fine.
Quote by EVHrocks123
get an ec1000 reall nice guitars

you realise how much of an idiot you just sounded and made yourself out to be

edit1:
Quote by SGStrummer61
60? No no no, it has the 85 in the neck which is a great pickup. Don't worry about the LFR in it, its fine just make sure that you can take care of one (cleaning, intonation, action). If you don't like it then just switch it out with an OFR Pro, but you will either have to go chrome or gold unless if you can fine a dealer that sells black ones since I haven't found any.

hmmm how do you know you can switch it with an OFR Pro

Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
Can anyone say anything about the color though? I don't want to order this thing, open it up and be stuck with a purple guitar...

request photos from users on the ESP Forums of pictures of their guitars
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by YYZ
I own the MH-400 and the Floyd Rose stays in tune just fine.

That wasn't really my question but ok...
Well the thread title said concerned with licensed floyds on LTDs.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

hmmm how do you know you can switch it with an OFR Pro

Because I found the measurements of the OFR Pro and I measured my own bridge. Oh and here are the pics of my guitar.

GUITAR PICS OMF OMF OMF!!!!!
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Awesome, same guitar I have, how much better is the OFR Pro over the licensed one that came with the guitar?
They are worlds better, but the LFR on our guitar is pretty good, just not OFR standard. An OFR can literally hold tune for months on end, albiet it is set-up properly and maintaned well.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

No, but I'm about too as soon as I get some more money. I'm going to change out the bridge (duh), the nut and the tuners to gold.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Quote by YYZ
Awesome, same guitar I have, how much better is the OFR Pro over the licensed one that came with the guitar?

so thats stud size, locking nut, tremolo block and all that will fit. nice very cool for sure