I've been reading a lot of guitar/amp reviews in the last couple of months, because I'm about to make a transition from acoustic to electric guitar.

I came across two models that I put into consideration- Yamaha RGX-A2 and Schecter S1.

I'm asking you guys for some help in bringing a final decision for THE axe.

P.S. Cash range is about 800$, amp included
ibanez s470 (total sweetness) and a decend amp to go with it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
i love the Yamaha RGX-A2. i spotted one in a store and was intrigued straight away, and i just think it looks and plays very well

not a bad first guitar at all, and that would leave you plenty of money for a great amp

but yeah, it depends on how you want to sound and all that

-rob
RGXA2 is a curious beast. I go to work every day past a Yamaha store that has one of them in the window, and after half a year of looking I cracked and went in to try it.

It has that fancy A.I.R. body - as far as I know it's something like balsawood sandwiched between two sheets of agathis. To me, it sounded like basswood without the depth - good resonance, very light. Pretty glowing pots (go ahead, try swap them ), soapbar-shaped humbuckers (also not replace-friendly), fancy barrel tuners. The bridge looks good, and is fully adjustable for action and intonation for every individual string. Neck's a bit waxy, but many are. I'd expect something as fancy and full of gizmos to be twice that price, but they're stamped in Taiwan, and the price sticker is thus decent.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by CajunBoy
how do you want to sound?

I'd play all kinds of stuff (rock, grunge, punk, metal) so I need a versatile guitar.

Quote by pifty
RGXA2 is a curious beast. I go to work every day past a Yamaha store that has one of them in the window, and after half a year of looking I cracked and went in to try it.

It has that fancy A.I.R. body - as far as I know it's something like balsawood sandwiched between two sheets of agathis. To me, it sounded like basswood without the depth - good resonance, very light. Pretty glowing pots (go ahead, try swap them ), soapbar-shaped humbuckers (also not replace-friendly), fancy barrel tuners. The bridge looks good, and is fully adjustable for action and intonation for every individual string. Neck's a bit waxy, but many are. I'd expect something as fancy and full of gizmos to be twice that price, but they're stamped in Taiwan, and the price sticker is thus decent.

Yeah, my friend tried them out a couple of days ago and he was impressed how light and great sounding it is...I went crazy when he told me the price, I just wanted to purchase it right away
Quote by Stilo
I'd play all kinds of stuff (rock, grunge, punk, metal) so I need a versatile guitar.

Yeah, my friend tried them out a couple of days ago and he was impressed how light and great sounding it is...I went crazy when he told me the price, I just wanted to purchase it right away

I'd go for the Schecter then, honestly. The quality is better, and you won't have a problem with swapping out its pickups or repairing it. Some options you might want to look into are other Yamaha RGX guitars, Yamaha AES (I liked AES620 quite a bit) or Ibanez AX/SZ - all reasonably inexpensive well-made guitars that are also simple enough to not confuse an acoustic player (been there myself).
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I have the yamaha rgx-a2 and I am pretty satisfied with it, although I would suggest spending ~75% of your money on either the guitar or the amp, so that way you will end up with something that should last you. Most people on here would recommend dropping that on the amp first, however if you don't plan on gigging soon it may be better to get the guitar first. Also if you focus on the guitar first your ear will be better developed for amp shopping at a later date.