ok here's the deal...i've inherited an Ampeg SVT-350 from a friend but i haven't had anyone to sit down and explain the EQ to me. my bass tone sounds muddy and ugly instead of smooth and biting...which royally sucks when playing live...and i was wondering if any of you could explain to me what the settings on the EQ are and how they affect the sound of the instrument. they are as follows:

40Hz
80Hz
150Hz
300Hz
600Hz
900Hz
2kHz
5kHz
9kHz

i've tried playing around and raising the individual levels but i just can't seem to find a good tone. does anyone else have this amp or a similar one that could give me some advice on the EQ?
During my most lonesome times I had the opportunity to reflect on who had always been there for me and who never was. I learned then and there that all I have has been in my hands the entire time...my guitars and my music.
ok set them all to zero then only tweak if you need it. you boost the good ones drop the bad like if your lows are over bareing you drop them a little and rasie the highs. just go bit by bit not all at once.
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
My experience is that 400 and 800Hz is what makes bass stand out in the mix. In your case I'd try 300 and 900. If your sound is muddy, cut the 150 a bit and see how that turns out. I find that the mud resides around 125Hz. EQ is also a lot of personal preference... So take this as a guideline, and sit yourself in front of your amp and start out flat, and fiddle with everything, starting on the main EQ (if any), and then go to the graphic EQ - start with the low frequencies going up to the higher ones. Boost and cut everything to hear how it sounds. Also very important: moving your amp can make a difference.
Big room/Small room
room with lots of carpetting/concrete room with no carpets and wallpaper
amp in the corner/amp not in the corner
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
cool thanx.
During my most lonesome times I had the opportunity to reflect on who had always been there for me and who never was. I learned then and there that all I have has been in my hands the entire time...my guitars and my music.