Page 1 of 3
Check this out. I bought a 1999 Gibson SG Special for $650. I got home and found out it was goin for $1000 today. So now I am customizing it. I swapped out the old pickups for a 57 Classic Plus in the Bridge and a 57 Classic in the neck. I had the frets re-dressed. EDIT: I posted a sketch of a paint Idea on the last post.

Here is a detailed list of the steps I am gonna do.....

1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sperzel-33-TrimLok-3PerSide-Tuners?sku=361012

The pieces of crap tuning machines that Gibson installs in there guitars have gotta go. They hold no tune, and they are not made very well at all.
Anyone had any experience with these tuners that I am looking at. I have a little concern though. I took off the stock tuners to see if there was any paint damage. There was no paint damage, but there were indentions were the tuners had sat. Should I be concerned?

2. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TonePros-Standard-Locking-Tuneomatic-Bridgesmall-posts?sku=306150

My stock bridge has a lot of wear which I believe is the main culprit of a sustain problem I have. Has anyone had any experience with this bridge I am lookin at.

3. http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_name=TREMOLO%20TAILPIECES

If you go down the page a little ways, you will see a Gold Lyre Vibrola (Long Style). I am gonna get the nickel one above it though. Once I get it, then I will have it engraved. I am not sure what I am gonna have engraved though.

4. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sharp-Concepts-Aluminum-SG-Standard-Pickguard?sku=360661

Ok, On this, I am gonna get the diamond plate pickguard. Click on the picture and it will pop up with a larger picture. Then you can see all of the different ones.

I am gonna do a custom paint job. I know what color I want, but I dont know what I am gonna paint. Since the guitar is black, I was thinkin a Dark Blue. Like a Royal or Navy Blue. Anyone got any suggestions as to what paint design.

Options I considered before......
1. Completely removing the pickguard...Would work because of the way it is routed.

2. Floyd Rose....Wouldnt work with an SG

And here is a final sketch of the paint design. Keep in mind that the flames will look better on the guitar than it appears in the sketch(because I am a crappy sketcher). Also, the blue I used isnt as dark as I want. It will be almost Navy Blue. Another thing to keep in mind is the texture difference in a colored pencil(what I used for the blue) and a pen(what I used for the black). ONE more thing. Imagine that the white space where the pickguard should be is a nickel color (like the pickups in the actual picture of my guitar.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Last edited by SGstriker at Sep 5, 2006,
I don't think the body is deep enough to fit a Floyd Rose, but I might be wrong. I would go for a Bigsby myself. If you're feeling adventurous you could strip it and give it a sunburst job

(drools)
i think you should make it all black with gold hardware... excuse me
*fap**fap**fap**fap**fap**fap**fap**fap**fap*
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I would rather have a Floyd Rose
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Last edited by SGstriker at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by SGstriker
I would rather have a Floyd Rose

Not sure about the exact measurements but my Gibby SG is about 1/4" or so thinner than my Fender with the FR. You can research the exact dimensions and determine if your idea is even feasible. Putting in the '57s just made it way sexier than it was, IMO. If I were to start cutting an SG, I'd do it with an Epi first ... but that's me.
Thanks for all of yalls help..
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I was thinkin about paintin somethin small, but cool on the headstock under the Gibson emblem. As for the body, I am not sure what I am gonna do, I dont really wanna change the color, I just wanna add somethin to it.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I might paint a skull and crossbones with a snake coming out of its mouth behind the bridge
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
bump
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
i heard thers this type of floyd rose that just sits on top of the body instead of going into it, i forgot wat it was so this was bearly helpful haha
I will do some research on that. Thanks
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
ill try to look for it somewhere cause i remember my uncle saying something about it to me
Cool, PM me if you find anything. Got any Ideas that would be cool as far as painting it??
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
All that **** behind the guitar is for sale
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
im gona try to get back to u another day with the floyd cause i gota ask my uncle cause i cant find it online myself
ok
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I will look that up..
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I looked on Warmoth. The site said that they route SG's for Original Floyd Roses. I am gonna talk to my local luthier bout it. Or Luthier of Texas on here.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I agree to adding something like the skull to the aready black finish. Good choice on pickups if i haven't said it already. But seriously... A floyd Rose on an SG? The two just don't go visually. I mean if it's your dream to have a floyd on an SG then go with it. I just hate Floyds/vibrato arms/whatever. So my opinion is biased.

Why not change the pickguard... or even remove it? OR paint it for that matter...
id love a floyd on my sg, bigsbys (if that how it spelt *shrugs*) look really ugly in my opinion, but im liking the idea, hope it works!
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

I'd prefer chrome hardware, because with black paint, it's way too sexy.

FRs have be fit over the TOM hole, but your uppull won't be that high without routing, and the body is too thin to be fully routed..

However, I would say try a kahler on it, it should just fit.

otherwise Bigsby or stetsbar.
I agree to adding something like the skull to the aready black finish. Good choice on pickups if i haven't said it already. But seriously... A floyd Rose on an SG? The two just don't go visually. I mean if it's your dream to have a floyd on an SG then go with it. I just hate Floyds/vibrato arms/whatever. So my opinion is biased.

Why not change the pickguard... or even remove it? OR paint it for that matter...

I am gonna change the pickguard. I am getting a Diamond Plated Pickguard.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
.... This thread is making me miss my SG.... Stupid thing is in for repair... and it has been for a week... Damn the Stupid Music Store!
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
stetsbar lol
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I did some research and measurments and I dont think you will be able to put in a Floyd Rose. I would more recomend either a Bigsby or a Lyre Vibrola tailpiece. dont use a stesbar, I have heard nothing but horrible things about them. And besides a Gibson that goes for $1,000 would be an ignorant thing to try and route for a new trem.
Thanks for all your help guys. I got some great ideas outta this.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
floyd rose = tone sucker. why do floys rose when you can do bigsby which do the exact same thing only they are anchored to the body which adds sustain and makes it sound better
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I would more recomend either a Bigsby or a Lyre Vibrola tailpiece. dont use a stesbar, I have heard nothing but horrible things about them. And besides a Gibson that goes for $1,000 would be an ignorant thing to try and route for a new trem.

You're the only person I've heard that has heard bad things about the Stetsbar.

Quote by pacman-man
floyd rose = tone sucker. why do floys rose when you can do bigsby which do the exact same thing only they are anchored to the body which adds sustain and makes it sound better

Bigsbys only bend a half step. Only good for doing vibrato.

Stetsbars can dive and stuff, though. I've only heard good things about them.
Thanks for that site xmrchainsawx
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker
All that **** behind the guitar is for sale

How much do you want for the strat copy body and neck?
$30 for both, $20 for Body, $10 for neck. Neck has some wear on the frets. PM me if you have any more questions
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I emailed a local guitar tech. He said that because of the construction of any Gibsons neck, it is not wise to add a trem.

I am gonna build a guitar through Warmoth and put a trem in it.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Eh, he just is saying that because Gibson necks are prone to breaking becuase of their angled nature.
However, as long as you don't abuse it, and you keep your veneer on your headstock okay, you'll do alright.
Page 1 of 3