I own a schecter 007 elite. The seventh string sits above the normally lowest E string and is tuned to B in standard. Here is my problem: This B string does not sound like the rest. It emits the proper pitch but the string sounds empty. a very hollow sound like its struggling to produce the note. when played with distortion its even worse. it almost sounds out of tune. the sound is just very hollow. its hard to explain but the tone is awful. I have adjusted the action in the past and the intonation is perfect. Should i raise the action a bit? I'm completley lost as to why my 7th string sounds so horrible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Can you maybe record a sample for us?

Or, you might look into just replacing all the strings.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Can you maybe record a sample for us?

Or, you might look into just replacing all the strings.

unfortunatly i cant record a sample but its not a string problem because i replace them every few weeks. The 7th string also buzzes a lot because of how low i have the action. To put it in a more technical sense. when the seventh string is plucked and i view the tone on a tuner, even when perfectly in tune the pitch shifts up and down, back and forth a little bit.
it may be you're amp or the settings you have on it, some amps just don't sound good with frequencies that low, it may also be you're pickups...i don't have a 7 string but i've played them and these are all guesses
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
i wish i could record a sample so you would know the hollow empty sound im talking about. it just rattles and doesnt sound full and warm, its really hard to explain.
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Go to my DMusic (link in my sig) and listen to "Low". Does it sound anything like it?

no speakers sorry

and yeah there is a bit of fret buzz but its there cuz i have my action as low as i want it. im gonna go raise the action a tad and see if that makes a difference. ill post back.
Quote by mikeman
^ That was just a sample I presume.

What? It wasn't a song if that's what you mean, it was just me trying to recreate what he's describing.
just heightened the action a bit and it helped a TINY BIT. but im still having the same problem. I know what it is now. The B note is slightly going up and down in pitch as it rings. The tuner shows the note as perfect, then down for a bit, then it might go back up. As you can immagine with distortion those changes in pitch are very noticable and it sounds horrible. why the hell is it doing this?
Quote by wylde_overdrive
What? It wasn't a song if that's what you mean, it was just me trying to recreate what he's describing.

Sorry. Just thought the distortion was silly.

How about you take a look at the nut. Does it fit properly?
Are you sure you have the right gauge for the B string? Maybe its switched to other string like the low E or something?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by SoulDistortion
just heightened the action a bit and it helped a TINY BIT. but im still having the same problem. I know what it is now. The B note is slightly going up and down in pitch as it rings. The tuner shows the note as perfect, then down for a bit, then it might go back up. As you can immagine with distortion those changes in pitch are very noticable and it sounds horrible. why the hell is it doing this?

I don't think you're dumb or anything, but when you put new strings on did you maybe put the low B string where the low E is supposed to be and vice-versa.

EDIT: Curses! Beaten to it. Well, it was what I was geting at.
Yes i have the proper gauge strings in the right places. I think maybe this gauge is too thick. Maybe a thinner gauge B string wont change pitch so much as it rings. I dont think that should be a problem though.
If you're replacing it direct from a string set, then there shouldnt be any problem. But if you buy them separately then that'd likely be the problem.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i always buy strings in full sets even for one broken string. It almost seems like the string is too long but the intonation is absolutley perfect. theres no reason it should be getting this hollow sound and be changing pitch like this.
Absolutely, what brand of string do u use? D'adds?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
You could try changing it to other manufacturer brand and see if the sound is still the same. If it does, then its not the strings. Check your pickup height, bridge, nut and see if anything's broken or loose. Also check the string hole where you insert the low B string, probably its not properly inserted.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i think i know what you're talking about. Its like playing a low E string at the 22/24th fret, and it doesnt usually ring all the way through because the fret is too small? Im not exactly positive on what to do, because i have 7-string and mine doesnt do this. You might want to raise the action a little more, or maybe get the frets shaved down just a little.
Does your guitar have a trem?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Can't record, seven string problems, no speakers - thats like Hell for a musician.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by God Am
Can't record, seven string problems, no speakers - thats like Hell for a musician.

I agree, i wish i could record, but got no recording equipment and cant afford it ATM. But thats not so bad because im only 14 and dont have a job, so im not too bad off with what i've got.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Listen, sometimes the issue is with pickup placement, i don't know your guitar but there are some things that come to my mind , just some ideas i used to use to test for Buzz/pickup height issues:

-Switch the Low E for the Low B string (take 'em out and place the Low B in Low E's place) .. Now tune it, play it and see [If you have a Floyd Rose block the trem so as not to go through all the retuning pain, or just focus on the low B for now, let the others go outta tune)

- If the sound's still messed up take your guitar as is and play it over another amp, you can take it to a shop and act like you're looking for a new amp and test it there, say you wanna check the tone of your guitar with the amp you're buying (who knows maybe that's the problem and you'll buy it afterall!)

- Go to a guitar shop (anOTHER one) and ask anyone there about a good distortion pedal for 7-string guitars, try it out, your problem is probably due to the frequency of the B string being too low for your amp, i've had a somewhat similar problem when tuning my 6-string to C , but with very high distortion it seemed to sound right

- Are you sure your TUNERS are ok? The fact that the string sounds hollow is INDEPENDANT from the pitch-shifting thingy, your tuner maybe too weak for the string and the string's "rocking it" back and forth hence loosing tuning. Make sure the tuner isn't the least bit loose, if you wanna check try tuning the B-string to C or C# and see if that rectifies the tuning problem (the added tension will somewhat stabilize the tuner)

That's all i have in mind, when all else fails, a guitar technician goes a long way..
i can hear this hollow sound when i play the guitar unamplified so i dont think its my amp not being able to play the frequency allthough i may be losing some additional tone there. im not sure. but i think it has to do with the way i adjusted my action. it seems to be getting progressivley better ever since i adjusted my action higher.

and no i dont have a trem.
The end.
Take it to a music store or teacher in the local area and see what's wrong with it, mine doesn't charge me for seeing what's wrong, but some might.

And btw, bring everything you use so you can see any other problems or to see if it's not the guitar.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398