Page 1 of 2
Hello all, I know these threads are so common it's mind numbing, but I'd like some opinions on what to look into.

Within the next year, I will have my hands on around $1000 to spend on a guitar.

The main styles I play are metal and hard rock, but I do like versitility.

I'd like a Mahogony body, and the ability to swap the Pups for some EMGs (that is, if I can get an EMG set up that has good cleans?)

I don't want or need a trem.

I don't want bolt on necks.

I will obviously try the guitars out before buying, but from your experiance, what would a be a good guitar for around $1000 give or take a few hundred that would last a while? Also, are there any EMG combos that have a good clean?
Last edited by Wiggie at Aug 26, 2006,
Gibson Les Paul Studio. Perhaps the best $1000 one can spend.

Are there any other specific features you're looking for? (trem?)
gibson studios arent as good as a gibson standard or custom
epiphone elitist series are very good it almost exactly the same as a gibson les paul custom except without the name on the headstock
ask some more people about it though
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Well thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and get a hold of those two eventually.
Quote by pierce34celtic
Most definitely definitely get an ESP LTD EC-1000

Edit - Nevermind, $900 isn't bad.

Edit - The C-1 Classic looks pretty nice.. how much does it cost to get EMGs installed?
Last edited by Wiggie at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by pierce34celtic
Most definitely definitely get an ESP LTD EC-1000

+1
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by Wiggie
Also, are there any EMG combos that have a good clean?

EMG 60 - awesome cleans for a hummbucker
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
if you want EMG's and you like the schecter just get the hellraiser, and if you want passives, either the classic or elite, amazing guitars for the money
ya i would say either a schecter c-1 elite/+/or classic. then you can drop in like an emg 81/60 combo or sumthing. or the lp studio, but i dunno if your gonna want emgs with that since its kinda expensive as it is. if you like hardrock and classic rock type of stuff and not so much metal type distortion, emgs arent completely necesary but just try out some of the stuff we mentioned and kinda choose for yourself, thats what it really comes down to. if you like the feel/sound/etc.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Ibanez RGA.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by flyingv_m3
ya i would say either a schecter c-1 elite/+/or classic. then you can drop in like an emg 81/60 combo or sumthing. or the lp studio, but i dunno if your gonna want emgs with that since its kinda expensive as it is. if you like hardrock and classic rock type of stuff and not so much metal type distortion, emgs arent completely necesary but just try out some of the stuff we mentioned and kinda choose for yourself, thats what it really comes down to. if you like the feel/sound/etc.

I love metal.
Seeing as you want a keeper, don't get a Schecter. You're going to have to replace tone and volume pots and pickup selectors within a year because Schecters use cheap ass parts and poor South Korean manufacturing. Look more for Ibanez Prestige.
Check out the Sz prestige; I think the 2020 goes for something like 800 and the 4020 is closer to 1200, but don't quote me.
Quote by mikeman
Seeing as you want a keeper, don't get a Schecter. You're going to have to replace tone and volume pots and pickup selectors within a year because Schecters use cheap ass parts and poor South Korean manufacturing. Look more for Ibanez Prestige.

lol a schecter c1 classic is better then a LP studio for the money by far if you wanna talk about ****ty guitars gibsons been ****ing up big time.... they arnt making stuff like they did in the 60's 70's and 80's... poor poor qualty....

any ways 2 drop in a set of emgs active im not sure how much they cost be a shop will charge you like between $50-$80..... to install them so add that to the price of the pick ups and there you go.....

also you can get a c1 classic for like 450 used at the guitar center they come in to our store all the time
Im confused... on ESPs site, it says the EC 1000 comes with 81 / 60 combo, but on MF and zzSounds, it says 81/81
on second thought you can install the emgs your self their easyer then **** to install there all quick connects
How about some kind of Carvin perhaps. Their deffinetly worth checking out, never played them, but I have heard great things.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Quote by mikeman

um no, i have a used one made in like 2002 and its still in perfect working order, also my new one is as well, sooooooo yeah.. get a hellraiser, avenger or c-1
Go get your shovel.
Last edited by SynGates7X at Aug 26, 2006,
Quote by the_white_bunny
lol a schecter c1 classic is better then a LP studio for the money by far if you wanna talk about ****ty guitars gibsons been ****ing up big time.... they arnt making stuff like they did in the 60's 70's and 80's... poor poor qualty....

I'm not just typing out of my ass, I owned a C-1 Classic for 8 months before selling it. The selector switch broke off like a tooth pick when I went to turn the page and it fell face down on my knee. Turns out they make most of their parts (like selector switches) out of potentiometer metal. You get what you pay for, and with the classic, you're paying for gaudy inlays and a shoddy paint job that turns green over time (I bought it in transblue). And for the record, Gibson has used good old American manufacturing and good parts from the start so your blind rant is obsolete.
no its not

#1 ive worked at music stores... so ive been around both brands for a while now. so trust me when i get around them and have the chance to play with them i do....

#2 gibson is making **** stuff now if your going to spend the money go prs, ibanez, or sechecter...

#3 ive ownd 3 diffrent modle shchecters and nothing went wrong with them its just sounds like you dont know how to handle a guitar i guess....

#4 you bitch about scheters finish? unless you have a custom shop gibson made i would be surprized if you could find a single guitar that dose not have a finish flaw....

and hate to tell you but that america comment was retarded..... gibson makes there guitars on a production line now like most other companys... unless you but from the custom shop....

oh yea and if the inlays and finish sucked so much why did you buy it???

so no schecters dont suck there the best guitars for the money.... and if for some reason the pot goes out go out and get another pot for 3.99 and switch it out
1. I don't care.

2. Anyone who says Gibson is making shit is an arrogant douche.

3. I was handling the guitar under completely normal playing conditions, it just happend to fall on my knee.

4. My Ibanez doesn't have any noticeable finish flaw.

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

I don't know.

Keyword: for the money. They're still cheap guitars.
any one who has any sence could see that gibsons goin in to the ****s.....
unless you buy a custom shop or any thing made befor they started mass produceing them in away that lacks the deatail as they used too... its goin to be a **** guitar
Quote by karateguy29
How about some kind of Carvin perhaps. Their deffinetly worth checking out, never played them, but I have heard great things.

Yup, with you on that. Nice to see I'm still in your sig.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by karateguy29

Karateguy is the winner .

If you are buying a guitar around $1000, Carvin is the way to go.

No contest.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Wiggie
Alright. What kind of Carvin should I look at?

That's the thing about Carvins; you pick the shape you like the most, and then pick all the options that you like the most .

Check out all the basic models here.

I'm partial to the AE185 and the SC90S myself
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by Punk2Guitar
erhh...that new Dean guitar , a guy i know bought it while ago he said it was awesome ...havent checked out myself yet though..... but looks kickazz =P

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dimebag-Razorback-Slime-Bumblebee-Electric-Guitar?sku=519975&src=3SOSWXXA

I nearly barfed when I saw that. No offence, but I dont want a "I'm a dumb metal head wanna be" guitar. I don't need some sig series crap.
Carvin is great but if you want a LP shape Id get teh LTD EC1000 in black cherry if u want the emg's. the Epi Elitist is great but the slightly thinner EC1000 body and beveled backside on the neck joint make playing the upper frets much more enjoyable.
Page 1 of 2