I'm heading out for college soon and planning to take my guitar with me. I'm planning to purchase a new amp and my two choices are ad30vt and peavey classic 30. If I get the classic will I be able to overdrive it with a overdrive pedal at relatively low volume?(I will be in a dorm so won't be able to crank it) Will I need an some sort of attenuator to achieve good overdrive? I've heard that ad30vt has its own little attenuator and can achieve real tube overdrive, is this true? I mainly play metallica style metal stuffs. Budget is around $300

Thanks
Last edited by unkoman at Aug 26, 2006,
You should get a microcube. It overdrives very nicely at low volumes and its way under your budget. You can use that money to get a nice pedal. Try a boss mt-2. You wont regret it
hmmmm...why dont u just go to a store and ask them...or try it out at a store...
The AD30VT is not a tube amp, so no it is not true that it can achieve real tube overdrive. You definately do not want 30W.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
My peavey's ( 110 envoy and bandit ) just dont sound right at real low volume with a pedal, Have you looked at a Pignose Hog 20, its smaller but its still battery powered and rechargeable and it has its own distortion , I have had Gorilla practice amp's in the 20 w range and they all sound real good at low volume with lots of distortion and you can crank'um. Go try one out they will surprise you.
Buy a Traynor TCV40 or greater and use the headphone adapter. Great tone to boot.
I'm really leaning toward pc30 since I can get it for really cheap. Will an attenuator be able to bring the volume down to dorm-usable level?
i can't recommend an amp, but definitely try it out at the quiet volumes you'll likely be playing at. My amp doesn't warm up until its too loud for my apartment.
try a zvek (or whatever it is) nano and like a 1 or 2x12 cab, I've heard em, and frankly they sound good
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
Classic 30 is big, heavy (40lbs-ish), and loud. You'll have to go to absolutely obscene volumes (by dorm standards ) before you can get natural overdrive from it. It has great cleans on low volumes, but you'd want to get something less than 30W tube.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
If your distortion pedal has a output level control, use that. That way, your amp can be turned up a bit, but with the pedal output turned down, it will still be quiet. I found this to be very useful in the dorms, and in my apartment now. It's not quite as fun, but it keeps the neighbors happy. Just don't accidently click off the pedal .
seeing as i'll be moving back into a dorm next week, take my advice on this one:

too f-cking bad if they dont like the volume you play at. i dragged my big valvestate with me to school and played it at half volume which was pretty damn loud for the dorms. my friend actually liked to play a half-stack in the hallway of his hall. i mean really, playing sounds better at high volume so why hold back?

besides, people will be blasting stereo systems with sh-tty music so there's no reason you cant crank up an amplifier.

Quote by JamesKid3
seeing as i'll be moving back into a dorm next week, take my advice on this one:

too f-cking bad if they dont like the volume you play at. i dragged my big valvestate with me to school and played it at half volume which was pretty damn loud for the dorms. my friend actually liked to play a half-stack in the hallway of his hall. i mean really, playing sounds better at high volume so why hold back?

besides, people will be blasting stereo systems with sh-tty music so there's no reason you cant crank up an amplifier.

Haha true that. Unless you are in a crazy school or crazy dorm where all they want to do is study, it shouldn't be a big issue. Unless you like practicing at all hours of that night.
Almost all tube amps will be too loud unless you run a hot plate with it. I'm not up-to-date with the current prices in the guitar world, but I'm positive that would be out of budget. However, if you wish to save your money and get something like... oh... I don't know... a THD Univalve (has built in hot plate) and an Avatar cab, you'll be able to achieve great tone at lower volume. Univalves only hits 15watts (depending on what power tube you're running).

Being a college student myself, I can understand the lack of spending money. You just want the greatest bang for buck for what in your pocket at the moment, right? In that case, I'd say a Roland Cube. Maybe not.... Micro cube... but Cube 15 or 30 would be more than sufficient, and will provide you with a wide range of tones in my opinion. The 30 would probably give you the widest option since it's a modeling amp. As a matter of fact, I have one sitting in my closet that I never use anymore. 'tis a shame... it'll probably be sold soon just like my project LP-clone with x2n, super 2, tone pros bridge, and schaller locking tuning keys.... and my strat project too

Good luck with your decision!

EDIT- oop... just realized you said you played metallica style stuff. Scratch the Univalve, stick with Cube
Last edited by perfec_circl at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by mikeman
Buy a Traynor TCV40 or greater and use the headphone adapter. Great tone to boot.

The YCV (not TCV) 40 or higher DON'T have headphone adapters and can't be retrofitted for one (Trust me, I asked, its the only reason I don't own one now). Threadstarter, get an amp you like and play in the general rooms, where you will be aloud to crank your amp.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
The H+K amp in my sig.
its 60 watts, but noone is telling you to crank it. and at the lower volumes it sounds AMAZING (and yes i have played many tube amps)
its basically the best SS amp on the market for metal/bluesish overdrive and everything cleans.
I highly suggest looking into it.

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
You should definately bring your main amp if at all possible because you'll meet other people that play and you want to have the gear to play with other people. I just moved back into the dorm for my senior year, and my suggestion for playing in your room is just do an acoustic and forget the amp. I had a crappy MG10CD in my room the first 3 years but never really ended up plugging in in my room (and I have had a single most of my time, it was even more rare when I still had roommates.)

So use an acoustic, a cheap one if you must, and keep your "real" amp in your room for the time you find folks to jam with.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by onemanarmy9
The YCV (not TCV) 40 or higher DON'T have headphone adapters and can't be retrofitted for one (Trust me, I asked, its the only reason I don't own one now). Threadstarter, get an amp you like and play in the general rooms, where you will be aloud to crank your amp.

Not true. I know for a fact the YCV50 Blue and the YCV80 have headphones.

Can you retrofit one on a Fender Delux?
roland micro cube over the vox DA5, otherwise the vox ADVT15 would be pretty nice.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
On ebay, type in Peavey Classic 30. You will find something called a volume reducer or something. This guy has been selling them for years. I haven't heard anything bad from them, they are cheap, and won't do anything to the amp.
Quote by pifty
Classic 30 is big, heavy (40lbs-ish), and loud. You'll have to go to absolutely obscene volumes (by dorm standards ) before you can get natural overdrive from it. It has great cleans on low volumes, but you'd want to get something less than 30W tube.

Uh, negative.

He said using a pedal, and mine overdrives nicely with a pedal WITHOUT obscene volume. If you can't control a C30 to dorm level volumes, you might need to adjust your hearing.
My Rig

2004 Fender '72 Custom Telecaster reissue
2006 Cole Clark Fat Lady 1 Acoustic

ProCo RAT
Boss DD-3

Peavey Classic 30
Hey i was in the same situation as you. I saved about 1400$ and im in a dorm room too...im at georgia tech..or rooms are small too... Anwayz, originally I played the vox AD30vt and LOVED it...the whole hybrid tube amp thing doesnt do very much...so dont buy into it. But it sounds great for many different genres.

I would suggest a vox over the peavy if thats ur only choices...

But when i went to the guitar cetner I ended up buying a tube amp, LOL
I got a 2x12 Fender Deville Amp....60 watts of tube power, and it was used in great condition for 500$ ...so instead of getting an SG Standard, i got an SG faded special...and I loved it almost just as much...and i thought they sounded and played very similar...so i thought wut the hell...

I might be moving into a frat house next year, or who knows...im not very good now but no telling wut u can accomplish in a year i might be doing gigs...and while the amp is way to powerful for the dorm room...it will definately last for years...although i might need to replace some of the tubes...but hey thats part of it.