i'm almost positive this is the wrong thread but i dont have time to quadruple check it since i have work soon...

i have an ibanez toneblaster amp...and theres a cable coming up from behind the amp that goes into one of the two speaker in/outs. my question is, is there a way i can hook that cord up to a head? just so i can use the speakers and use a head until i can afford a cab. i mean, i know i can if i match up the impednace (sp?)...but the only thing is, the cable is way too short to reach the head! is there anyway to get around this? thanks.
Well if I'm reading this right, what that would do is send the power from your combo to your head and the power from your head to your combo resulting in something like

KABOOOOM!

However, it may be possible to hook the head up to the jack that cable is going into though I wouldn't risk it unless I was 100% positive as it could blow your speaker(s). What wattage is the head and what wattage is the combo?

And is this cable going from the speakers to plug into another part of the amp, or coming from part of the amp to plug into the speakers? (If that Makes sense)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Aug 26, 2006,
well the head is 100 and the combo is 100 but i'm basically syaing is there anyway i can get that short speaker cable this is enclose in the cab and i cant detach for a longer one from the combo to the head
technically you could, but not with the wiring that is used to connect the amp to the speaker in your combo...

a new head would more than likely run off a different Ohm setting due to them being more powerfull, and you need to have more wattage in your speaker than in your amp head

e.g. 100 watt head....at least 100 watt of speakers.

most common like marshall for example, JCM 2000 tsl 100 head, is 3 channels 100 watt all valve power, they are mainly ran thru marshall 1960 cabs, they have 4 x 75watt celestion speaker, and pump out overall 300 watts.

thats why its advised to buy a matching head and cab, tho it is not the case u can mix and match but thats down to personal preference, id go with whatever sounds best in your oppinion.

so i wouldnt advise it.....if you need more volume at gigs or something then set your amp level so its reasonable on-stage and then mic the amp up and run it out thru the pa system, you get a fuller sound then and can always have it coming back thru monitors.

if you are just a bedroom player/garage jammer, and play by yaself and jam with ya mates every now and again there realy no need for a stack, get a nice all valve combo ya cant beat em.

valve amps sound best crank up....you cant crank a 100 watt head and 300 watt cab in ya bedroom or garage can ya?......but ya can with a 30 watt combo...which sounds louder than you would actually think!

hope this helps..

take it easy
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
sounds like you want to use the combo speaker with the head, but the speaker cable on the combo is too short. Get a speaker cable long enough to run from head to combo. Be sure of impedence settings though. I believe someone makes a male to male adapter so you won't have to cut a cable and splice. The speaker cable from the head now should plug directly to speaker cable in the combo. Be sure to use speaker cable and not an instrument cable.
yeh that would be ya best bet, ive heard a couple re wired efforts and its ok if ya on a budget, but even a second hand cab is dirt cheap now...

as much as people would disagree in my personal experience for live stuff dont use marshall cabs, they have a weak bottom end and it realy lacks tone quality from the bass end..

peavey cabs are nice live..

if you can afford it then a 4 x 12 Orange cab with vintage 30's...you will never want another cab again..

but take ya head go to a shop and play thru everyone in store and then decide, dont go of other oppinions cus no 2 people hear the same sound!

take care
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."