How can I tell a tree's grain, without chopping it down and planeing it?

Does anyone have a website to tell this?

I have 642 acres of trees at my disposal and 94% of it is Maple, Cherry, Oak, Elm, and Birch. The rest is Pine.

Also, my father cuts wood here and a few years back, he cut down 7 logs of Quilted Maple. Not knowing its value, he burnt it to heat our house. Such a bad mistake.

Also, what woods should I build my guitar out of? Its going to be an electric, 2 humbucker etc. etc. etc. I was thinking of all Maple through it, Solid.

Your thoughts?
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
If you want to use wood from your trees then it needs to be cut and let dry for a couple years, or if you have a kild available somewhere you can use that.
Yes, i do have a kild available. It can be professionally cut and planed for a minimal fee. I am leaning towards the Cherry neck with a Maple body.
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
Quote by Sqeeezie
Yes, i do have a kild available. It can be professionally cut and planed for a minimal fee. I am leaning towards the Cherry neck with a Maple body.

You happen to mean a kiln? And what's the likelyhood of the wood warping whlie being baked?
If you want to identify a tree, go here.

http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeid.cfm

You can't tell the 'direction' of the grain without cutting it down. Also, a kild? Are you for real here?

What kind of maples, birch, oak, cherry, etc though, where are you located?

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by Sqeeezie

Also, my father cuts wood here and a few years back, he cut down 7 logs of Quilted Maple. Not knowing its value, he burnt it to heat our house. Such a bad mistake.

Sigged- at least sum good came out of it!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
hmmm makes me wanna ask that guy who i work with what kinda trees he grows
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
^ Cannabis sativa?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
My schools entire gym floor as well as performance stage is made mostly of figured maple.

The stuff isn't rare, its only valuable after you determine the grade. Other than that its just maple.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
accually algee....hes a complete pothead and grows plants(probably why hes a cook)

but he works on a tree farm and maybe i could get some wood off of him

that sounded so gay
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Funky P
My schools entire gym floor as well as performance stage is made mostly of figured maple.

The stuff isn't rare, its only valuable after you determine the grade. Other than that its just maple.

You're right, 'figure' isnt rare at all in most trees. A lot say it's caused from disease/ distresss, and whichever it may be all trees go through certain levels of stress. There are flamed table tops in diners & restarants everywhere, but they're not considered figured by our means. They're considered defects which is why your school probaly uses them (although it maybe just be a veneer ontop of something else).

Quilted maple IS valuable & rare depending on the grade. Crappy quilt is not even going to be considered figured. Good quilt is very rare, and only occurs usually on pacific maple.

Chris
^ Listen to Algee, he knows alot about nice looking wood.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club