Can someone give me advice on how to get my fingers to move fast enough to go from string to string? I play mostly songs by AC/DC and Avenged Sevenfold. Thanks!
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Huh?
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Do scales/lick drills and loop it over a metronome beat. 1st, practice on just 2 strings, then 3 and so on. You could even do string skipping exercise to make your picking hand more synchronized and accurate. Start slow, gradually increasing in speed.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I don't get that. What does all that mean...I'm a n00b when it comes to chords and stuff. I don't know scales yet.
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
An A minor example (look up lesson section for scales):
e|----------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------------------
G|----------------------------------------------------
D|----------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------5--7--8--7--5-----------------
E|--------5--7--8-------------------8--7--5-------

Practice over a metronome at a comfortable speed and always start slow. When you're comfortable with it, then increase the tempo for about 5 and then start again. Of course you could do various of exercises made by yourself, just anything inside that particular scale. Example above is just for 2 strings, you can extend it to 3 or whatever you like, also you could move it down to A and D string.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ok thanks
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Practice Practice Practice man. You can't get better at anything without practice. Oh, and mustard too.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

do 1234 on all 6 strings.........then once you get to the low e string "the string at the very bottom of the guitar" play 1-2 -10 times, then play 1-3- 10 times, then play 1-4 - 10 times and then do the 1234 all the way up to the top string and play the 1-2 10 times...ect and then repeat the cycle for as long as you can.......and try not to just play the 1-2, 1-3...ect. 10 times.....try to do it as fast as you can more and more.......its works great for me.....you fingers will most likely experience sever pain so try to rest them for a while before you continue......as you do this every day your speed will increase dramatically and in a couple months "if you do it daily for an hour" you will find it easy to play fast songs such as master of the puppets, the trooper, ect..........just sum advice......it works great for me....good luck
I find that chromatics doesnt help you in later stages much. Its boring and very repetitive, plus your finger coordination will just be, pointing finger(1), middle (2)34 4321, if you use the method i gave, you can learn scales and finger coordination, 134 431 124 421. Also on later stages, its good to practice fast licks from songs over a metronome. If you still insist on chromatic drills, then look out for Steve Vai's 10 Hour Workout.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
You're really just going to need to practice. I've been playing for about 3 years, and I'm just now starting to build up some decent speed and accuracy with my fretting hand. Granted, I don't spend 8 hours a day playing, but my point is that it doesn't happen overnight. Learn some scales, and practice going up and down. Also, here's some fingering exercises I do:

To work out the index, middle, and pinky fingers:
e|-------------------------------------6-7-9--|
b|------------------------------6-7-9---------|
g|-----------------------6-7-9----------------|
d|----------------6-7-9-----------------------|
a|---------6-7-9------------------------------|
e|--6-7-9-------------------------------------|

I go up the strings, and then back down, slowly building up speed. This isn't a scale or anything, so it doesn't sound good, but it's just to exercise the fingers. To work the index, middle, and ring fingers, use frets 6, 8, and 9 instead. Then, move this exercise all around the fretboard.
OK. Thanks a bunch everyone.

See, the thing is, I can play tabs...until I get to one where I have to move from string to string quickly. But when I posted this, I was getting thrown off by the tab for Avenged Sevenfold's Chapter Four. But just by playing over and over, starting slow and getting faster, I've almost got the part that was throwing me off!
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
playing blistering fast, face-melting solos is not a necssity.

but if thats your thing, just practice mindless chromatic scales for hours a day.

caffeine doesn't help either. unless you have mad accurate fingers.
Quote by scott5150
Man someone needs to make a vid of an armless and legless ethiopian watching a donut roll down the hill, and then he starts using his teeth to pull him towards the donut. That would just be good filmaking right there.