30 if you're going to have a drummer.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
well it depends on the drummer. my drummer is loud as hell with his double bass drums so yeah.. it depends but go 30 like the other guy said cuz i dont wanna be the minority =[
all depends on how you practice, where you practice, etc

like i used a 15 watt in an attic... and i could be heard. at times i'd be drowned out though

now i use my gig amp, 50 watt... but if i crank it, i drown everything else out. 30 might be a good mix
i have a 40 and i can hear it over the drums. the only problem is the sound quality isnt very good when its turned up load enough to be heared. i would suggest getting around six or seven hundred dollars and getting a half stack.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
it also depends on how big the practice area is. when i would play in my room a 40 watt would do ok. but when i put it in the garage, it just didnt cut it. half stack is the way to go, plus it will be good when playing live.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
nothing lower than 30w solid state if you have any kind of drummer.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by ChildrenOfRuin
it also depends on how big the practice area is. when i would play in my room a 40 watt would do ok. but when i put it in the garage, it just didnt cut it. half stack is the way to go, plus it will be good when playing live.

My booty, tube combos are just fine.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
well I had a fender 15 that wasn't heard at all with a loud drummer, so definitely go bigger than that... now I have a 120 watt amp, which is nice because I can use it for gigging but keep it low for practices
signature here: ________

member # (insert number) of the (insert club name) club
You do not need a half stack to even play gigs, nevermind practise. Get a nice used tube combo 30W+
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
One drummer I play with my 50W SS doesnt cut it, its very hard to hear, but in my band, our drummer doesnt play that loud and my 50W is perfect. So really it depends on where you play, who you play with and stuff.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
30wats will be good if u have a light drumer. If its 30 wats tube you can keep up but you need at lest 60wats of power solid state to keep up to a heavey drumer or probley any drumer.
solid state:60-100 (100 is NOT necessary, i use one for more head room and such and outdoor shows if possible)
tube: about 30
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
30W of SS will keep up to a drummer, if it's a good SS (I've used a Cube 30).

15W+ of tube will handle anything much.
Quote by jonny 2bags
Hitler probably played a cheap Hondo strat through a solid state 10 watt Ross amp and could'nt pull off a simple pentatonic scale to save his Reich.
Depends whether the amp is SS or valve, a 15watt valve amp can handle them situations, and a 30watt or over SS could do that.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Good topic! I just hooked up with a drummer and we have talked about getting together to jam. I've got a marshall mg30dfx and he does not think that will be loud enough. I was pretty surprised. I have yet to crank it cause of how loud it can be.

Adam
i can play with my jcm 900 on 25 watts, and barely hear the drummer in a big room. but some amps are louder than others. for example a vintage vox ac30 combo can compete with a 100 watt half stack.
Well if its gonna be 30 watts ss youll probably have to turn it up all the way, and that sounds terrible on sss. So get something bigger so you dont sound bad.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by Magnus Fortune
Good topic! I just hooked up with a drummer and we have talked about getting together to jam. I've got a marshall mg30dfx and he does not think that will be loud enough. I was pretty surprised. I have yet to crank it cause of how loud it can be.

Adam

Your amp probably won't be able to cut it. You've probably been reading all these people saying 30 watts is enough but we are talking about 30 watts of TUBE power. Your MG is a solid state amp and the max volume is perceived as lower. For Solid state amps, 50 or more watts should get the job done.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by rockxwl
Your amp probably won't be able to cut it. You've probably been reading all these people saying 30 watts is enough but we are talking about 30 watts of TUBE power. Your MG is a solid state amp and the max volume is perceived as lower. For Solid state amps, 50 or more watts should get the job done.

I've got a JBL PA also, I've messed around with that, perhaps I could use that? I believe it says 65 watts on the back if memory serves. I really don't want to go shop for another amp at this point just to jam with someone.

Any idea?

Adam
Quote by Magnus Fortune
I've got a JBL PA also, I've messed around with that, perhaps I could use that? I believe it says 65 watts on the back if memory serves. I really don't want to go shop for another amp at this point just to jam with someone.

Any idea?

Adam

Well my friend (by the way, my name is Adam too, COOL!!!!! ), if you want to hook yourself up to a PA every single time you jam, then go ahead. It would definately make you loud enough but people typically save hooking up to PA's for gigs.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
i have a 30 watt tube amp and it is defintiely loud enough. i have the volume on it pretty high during practice, but my pedals master volume is really low. thats only because turning it up makes it sound all fuzzy and distorted on my clean settings. but nevermind that. with only the amp i can keep it below 5 with a drummer and guitarist who has a 60 watt tube amp
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by rockxwl
Well my friend (by the way, my name is Adam too, COOL!!!!! ), if you want to hook yourself up to a PA every single time you jam, then go ahead. It would definately make you loud enough but people typically save hooking up to PA's for gigs.

Good to meet ya Adam

Well the PA would be a pain in the ass to haul around in comparison to the amp for sure. But like I said to just jam, I may do it if that works. I really like the Marshall, and I'm running out of cash on everything else I buy and do, that I really can't pull off a larger amp at this point

Adam
Quote by ChildrenOfRuin

Absolute bull. There is no difference between a half stack and a combo when it comes to loudness, especially with extension cabinets. The difference is solely in how it looks.
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
^More speakers is more air being pushed, and therefore it gives a wider feel. IMO a 212 is perfect.

60 watts SS, 20 tube.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
30 watts with a 12 inch speaker is nice. But i've managed with a 15 watt 8 inch.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^More speakers is more air being pushed, and therefore it gives a wider feel. IMO a 212 is perfect.

60 watts SS, 20 tube.

Way to be wrong. "Wider" feel? In that case it's just the speakers not the amp.
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
Quote by Storrson

Way to be wrong? What he said was dead on.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing
My Line 6 Spider II 30 can just be heard over the drums, but the tone goes horrible as hell. To make sure you're heard and retain some tone, get a 50 watt.
i dont understand when people say "if youre jamming with a drummer you need this much".... drums are acoustic instruments, theyre only as loud as you play them

if youre playing in a jazz band with a quiet ride and snare only.... you could get away with a 5 watt amp..... i bet you could get away with turning your amp off.

if your playing in a hardcore band..... i doubt that 100 watts will even be enough... i know i have to crank my 100 watt amp when i jam, playing punk
Quote by Storrson

Yes it is just the speakers...I was comparing a half stack to a combo. You made it sound as if there was no difference at all between a 112(small combo) and an 812(full stack).

And for drums, you'd think you can just play quieter...but they sound much better if they're really being hit, and it's harder for the drummer to play fast quietly.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.