Hmmmmmmkay. Meself gots ahold of a Squier Strat in black. Goooood-oh.

Now, I hate it. I really, really do. I want to make it completely different to every other guitar I own. But I need your help.

I'm a complete nubcake when it comes to names, changes and basically customizing in general.

So help me out. I have my ideas, just tell me whether they're possible, and what you think about my taste. I like my taste in guitars, most will probably think my taste is in my arse.

SO~!

I want to get my squier, completely sand it back, cover it in BLACK AND WHITE newspaper articles, and then clear coat it. With this part, I KNOW I'll need to make sure the newspaper is stuck down 100%. No stuck up edges, folds or anything like that, otherwise when I clearcoat it, any pressure on these parts may cause cracking. Also, I'm in Australia, and I need to know what brand clearcoat I need. Like what's it called, etc.

Secondly, I'm going to order in a new pickguard. NOW! I don't really want a normal colour, so I was thinking MAYBE pearloid, but then that doesn't look too good when I picture it in my mind. So help me choose. To pearloid or not to perloid, and also, what colour.

Thirdly. I don't like the trem. It's boring. It's not what I want this guitar for. I hate it. I want this Strat to have a String through body similar to many guitars (the one that comes to mind is the Ibanez SZ kinda thing). SO, I know if I take out the trem there's a massive gaping hole. How could I combat this? Or should I just ditch this idea altogether?

And finally, with the headstock, I want to cut this mofux so that it's in a different shape, then cover that in newspaper and clearcoat it too. Here's my design, and I want you to tell me if it's good or not (Obviously, this is not my guitar):

SO! Overall, give me a yes or no as to whether I should do this.

And, if you want to abuse me in writing, do it here, too.
Um, if you want to change the headstock, make it original. Don't try to disguise a squier as an Ibanez.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
And as to the pickguard, no pearloid if you want to do the newspaper. Just solid black.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Nevermind. Just buy an ibanez. Apparently that's what you really want.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
that sounds like a cool finish. check out this link, i think its for fabric, but it should help.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm

as for the trem, pop open the back, and see if there are places where two more springs would go. most strat style guitars are made for 5 springs, but equipped with 3, as that is the normal resistance someone would want. but if you add all 5, the the bridge aint going no where. also try tightening up the screw holding the bridge to the body. that should do it pretty much.

the headstock idea sounds hard. i guess if you had the right tools and skills, and took the time to take EVERYTHING off the neck. (dont think you can do it without taking off the tuners or anything.) and then just chop off the most of it and sand down to where you want it, then do the finish. actually no that i think it through, you could probably do it.

i say go for it. its just a squier. and the only thing more unique than a newspaper squier, is a newspaper squier with a ****ed up finish.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
I think the newspaper idea. It'll take a lot of work but it will be cool.
Quote by 4e574e57363g

is anyone here as cool as Oblivious16037??

I think not.

GO VIKINGS!

Founder of the iPods Suck Balls Club
PM me if you wanna join!
Quote by gwitersnamps
Um, if you want to change the headstock, make it original. Don't try to disguise a squier as an Ibanez.

I'm not trying to disguise. I actually like the shape of Ibanez headstocks.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Nevermind. Just buy an ibanez. Apparently that's what you really want.

Okay, let me set this straight.

I'm not looking to have a cool guitar that I will love and will impress everybody.

I'm looking to make this Squier different. THAT'S THE POINT.

I'm not changing pickups! I'm not changing anything that would make it's playability better! I'm going for something completely to entertain me!

I HAVE OTHER GUITARS THAT I LOVE! I DON'T NEED A GOOD GUITAR!

I'm just bored ****less, school's out, and I want to make my Squier different.

Also, I want string through similar to the SZ, not to make my trem rock solid. Capiche?
Sounds cool! Do it! With a killer tube amp, any guitar can sound half way decent ... usually.

If your Squier is an Affinity, it'll be Alder and will be a decent mod. I was in the same boat and ended up building 2 this Summer.

Quote by Ippon
Sounds cool! Do it! With a killer tube amp, any guitar can sound half way decent ... usually.

If your Squier is an Affinity, it'll be Alder and will be a decent mod. I was in the same boat and ended up building 2 this Summer.

Come on guys, give me some help with the bridge question! Haha.

I dunno how to explain it. But the main reason I want it with the Ibanez string through body type thing (Oh come on somebody give me some names! XD) is because I want there to be less guitar parts covering up the newspaper. So, if I take out the trem bridge, and just have them string through WITHOUT the trem, then I think it'll look cool! I NEED HELP.
Well you're all phallises (what's the plural of phallis? Phallisi? Anywhoo) for not helping me! BUT! I've decided on a number of things. One; I'm definately not going to mod the SHAPE of the headstock. Heck! It's a Strat, it just flows! I still love the shape of the other headstock, just on a more aggressive guitar, not a strat... Two; I'm just going to go for it. I'm gonna pull out the trem, fill in the hole with a measured piece of mahogany (I know it wont match, but anything's better than a big hole and a piece of metal) then fill with putty, sand, etc. Then I'll measure out a regular bridge and drill through. I'll add all the little eyelets, etc. But I still need help guys!

The pickguard is still a problem. I'm not sure if the white one actually look good or if I should get my brother to make it grey. OR! Should I cover it in newspaper, too? That'd be one busy thing too look at!

Now, I've seen one or two of you suggest I actually change the pups. I suppose I could, as they are in fact, NOT GOOD, but I just didn't want to spend much (or any) money on this project, merely time. BUT, If I decide to, I dunno whether I want to just do the general "Lol I has the SD Invader humbucker in my Strat therefore I is the Tom Delonge" pup change, but I reckon that goes with the theme of my guitar, as I'd probably play punkish kinda stuff on this bad boy. But! I also stated that I want this guitar to be different... SO, any other suggestions?
Last edited by Gymmeh at Aug 27, 2006,
I want to kill you.
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Quote by Gymmeh
I suppose I could, as they are in fact, gayer than AIDs?

Someone needs Sex Education!
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 16, 2006,
How's the newspaper thing going? I want to do something similiar to that, post news please
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
ESP LTD EC-300
Behringer GX112 Blue Devil
BOSS ME-50
go for a clear pickguard. or you could coat the pickguard in newspaper.

You could even coat the p/ups in newspaper!!
Advice - Get nice articles, something that is somewhat meaningful to you, take time to collect them or look through old ones. Possibly get a black pickguard and be all philisphoical and make it say "Our Changing Day" or somethign on it.,
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
youve got the bridge thing pretty much sorted mate. i dont know the fine points of it, but thats how i would start
Quote by sempri_fi
actually it will make the resale value go into the crapper, as most mods do...

What...you mean that taking a squier strat, covering it bits of old newspaper and hacking bits off the headstock could actually reduce it's resale value ???!? say it isn't so!
I agree that covering a Squire's body and hacking peices of it off should BOOST it's resale...

Seriously, unless you made it into a pure sex machine and painted some kind of stupid desgn that appeals to young "punk" suburbanites, any real change that is irreversable will almost make it worthless. The only real way to make a profit by modding something is to charge someone for your services.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Who The **** Actually Tries To Sell A Squier?

I Wouldn't Expect A ****ing Buyer Even If I Gold-plated It You Nimble-minded Farks.
ok, just burn a picture of jesus on there and sell it on ebay, you'd get like a grand for it for sure!!
im customising my squier...nothing much...just replacing pickguard for a white pearl one...and maybe sticking some better pickups in it but havent reli decided which ones...I love the sunburst finish so thatll stay...straplocks...not because im guna roll around the ground and **** and go nuts while playing it...I dont know if i want a new neck or just be happy wit this one...I reli love the whole tribal design on JEM's and **** but I dont know if an Ibanez neck would be the right scale...and theyre reli flat too...like...**** concave on them...look cool but feel diifent...i wanna keep it a strata not some wannabe shred guitar...it gets played too...I dont want it to sound bad...but yeh...I like your ideas...inspiration maybe...
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray (My Pride and Joy)
Trace Elliot 300 watt head
Trace Quad 4 x 10
B2.1u Zoom Effects Pedal

Yamaha DTXpress2
Pearl Double Kick

Squire Strat (Yes a squire)
MT-2 Boss Metalzone
Fender Frontman 15G
TW-1 Boss T Wah
My problem is that I know this is a piece of crap.

I just sanded it back and found what looks like a small knot? What the **** is that!?

Anyway, because it's a piece of turd, I wont bother replacing pups. It's merely a aesthetic overhaul.
The newspaper idea sounds great. If I had a guitar I'd be allowed to destroy, I would do it too (the only electric I have is a $500 Aria. It's a piece of ****, but my parents got it for my birthday, so I can't destroy it )
With the bridge, you pretty much have it sorted. As long as you place it correctly, not much can go wrong. One day, if you feel like getting new pickups for it, go with Pure Tone. Pickups are like $50 each and you get free postage in Aus. For the money, they actually aren't too bad!
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by sempri_fi
ok, just burn a picture of jesus on there and sell it on ebay, you'd get like a grand for it for sure!!

in the description you should have something like "while sanding back my 1950s original fender strat so that i could repaint it a different colour (EVH stripes lol), i saw this image burnt into the wood. as you can see in the pics (sorry i only have a $2 webcam that takes blurry photos to disguise the fact im trying to rip you off) IT IS A PICTURE OF JESUS'S FACE! then i knew that this guitar must have been sent down to earth from god and now im giving you the opportunity to purchase this holy guitar! this is a no limit auction and the bidding is starting at a mere one thousand dollars!"
someone paid $25,000 for a peice of bred with the virgin mary's face on it on ebay once, soon afterward the same seller sold a toaster which burned pictures of the virgin mary's face on to ur toast! So why not try one of them on ur guitar?
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 17, 2006,