I have a question about the title, now, keep in mind this is completly hypothetical, however, I am curious, now lets say that you're playing in a gig or even some kind of small time battle of the bands; which would be better to play, covers, or original stuff? Now I know that orginials might impress people more mainly because, well you wrote it, but what if you play a cover just as well, what might win a crowd over more? Please help me solve this problem that has been bugging me.
You know you're a guitarest when you'd rather lose a foot than a finger.
play well known cover or two and a few of your best
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
I would only do a cover at a Battle of the bands if you are doing it in a unique way. However, I've heard of certian BOTBs where the bands were required to play 2 covers & 2 originals. I always think it's best for EVERY band to know at least 10 well known covers just for back-up even if you have a full original set and want to focus on that. You never know when you are going to be asked to play longer at a show. I was turning shows down at popular bars for one band I was in because the bandmates refused to learn any covers , would bitch if it was just for that gig, and we only had 30 minutes worth of original material.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Most people would be more impressed with a band covering a well-known, and doing it well, than a band writing songs. That becuase nobody except musicians know how hard it is to write decent music. I would do like everyone else said nad have some covers learnt and write some songs aswell.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Most people would be more impressed with a band covering a well-known, and doing it well, than a band writing songs. That becuase nobody except musicians know how hard it is to write decent music. I would do like everyone else said nad have some covers learnt and write some songs aswell.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Okay, thanks alot for your help guys.
You know you're a guitarest when you'd rather lose a foot than a finger.
your not a real band if all you can do is play other peoples ****, you need a nice setlist, and definantly no more than two or three covers.. if that
Playing covers of songs that people have never heard is just as awesome, i would assume.
Personally covers are alright just limit yourself to two at the most if your just trying to play them like on the album. If you reinvent the song that's great but, to much of that doesn't help either. My rule of thumb for gigs is have one fast, popular cover for an unexpected encore and a couple less well known songs for killing time if you end up playing longer than expect, and never more than one song to a band otherwise you start looking like a cover band.

Peace
decide if ur a covers or originals band

if ur gonna do originals id only have one cover.

make it unique and dont ruin any classics