Poll: Should I Learn Notes or Tabs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I Learn Notes or Tabs?
Notes
24 48%
Tabs
26 52%
Voters: 50.
Well guys its basically that. what should i learn.. notes or tabs? think about the long run...
heres the thing. tab is so incredibly easy to read, it takes no skill at all. youll get it it 10 mins. learn to read notes too tho. that will be more of a challenge.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
ok, in the long run, most likely tab. its hard to find anything in actual notes. if your interested in learning songs from bands, then your better off with tab. if you want to learn lullabys and orchestra stuff, go with notes. again, tab is so easy.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
Notes. If you're buying music at a store, it'll be notes. Generally, its the internet that'll give you tabs. But its extremely good to know both. I'd do what I did...notes, then tabs. Notes will be out there EVERYWHERE. Every composer will use notes. The tabs are notes converted. The person took the notes and made them tabs. Notes defenitly in the long run. READING MUSIC IS BEST! I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Use tabs when you understand reading music and music theory.
GEAR:

Jackson Pro Series RR3 (w/ EMG 81/85 combo)
Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Squier Standard Strat (w/ Fender Strat pups)
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Last edited by foxthor_rider2k at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by ChildrenOfRuin
ok, in the long run, most likely tab. its hard to find anything in actual notes. if your interested in learning songs from bands, then your better off with tab. if you want to learn lullabys and orchestra stuff, go with notes. again, tab is so easy.

no im talkin about writing my own stuff
go with notes. when you know how to read that, tab will be so easy to read it will almost be insulting.
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez IJS40
Fender Acoustic
Hartke GH 412a Cab
Ibanez Weaping Demon
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ahem, I play sax AND guitar, I've written music. It's MUCH easier to write using notes.
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
If you're writing out your music, notes. You should learn how to read both of course...
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
notes notes notes notes notes. i wish i had
tabs are good too though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well I say you should learn both. ChildrenOfRuin is right Tab is easer but you don?t really get a feel for the rhythm unless you have a copy of the song (which most of the time I don?t) while with notes you don?t have to ever hear the song to play it. foxthor_rider2k is also right most music store with have the song you want in tab form and musical notations. If you are going to just use it to write your own stuff and your lazy go with tabs but seriously put in the effort to learn to read and write with notes it?s not really that hard.
Depends on what you want to do, if you play a lot of complicated music like jazz and classical you definently need to learn notes, but if you play strict punk or most rock, tabs is the way to go, I know both though
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

if your writing music, then notes are a MUST!! I find it near impossible to write songs in tab form, but note form is easy. Reading notes isn't that difficult either. deffinatly learn notes. Tab is easy to pick up!
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
you should learn both. i agree with anyone who said that you need to know notes to compose. i dont think alot of the greats knew how to read notes (e.g. jimi hendrix). tabs are way easier to read, but unlike notes they dont show things like eighth, quarter, half notes etc, unless they have those annoying q's and e's. in the long run notes will be better especially if you are gonna pick up things like piano or orchestra instruments. as i said in the beginning learn both. tabs are really easy to learn, and it won't hurt to take the extra time to learn notes.
Quote by Mad Marius
No, I saw them on that documentary, Jurassic Park. They walked around and ate electric fences and people.
if you write it in tab, only a guitarist can play it right? sounds like that limits your options.
It depends on what you want to do with the guitar. If you just want to play green day songs, theres no point in learning it and your just wasteing time. If you want to advance as a player and do something with guitar then you should definitely learn how to read standard notation.
Quote by black_box
if you write it in tab, only a guitarist can play it right? sounds like that limits your options.

if he gets powertab, guitarpro, etc. he can have notes as well, so that really isnt a problem unless he writes by hand
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if he gets powertab, guitarpro, etc. he can have notes as well, so that really isnt a problem unless he writes by hand

True, but what happens when he's asked to play something that's only written in notes? Reading standard notation is an important skill.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
reading standard notation is a good skill to have, but when im writing for guitar i always write it down in TAB, because its much clearer where on the fretboard you are supposed to sound the note, its much harder to do that with standard notation, because standard notation wasnt developed with large range stringed instruments in mind. If im composing for piano or something i use standard notation because keyboard tablature sucks.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yes, I still beleive you should learn notes. Learrsn notes first, then tabs. Like they said, tabs are easy to pick up. I learned tabs in like 10 minutes. It took me a year to learn notes, and I find myself using both regulalry.
GEAR:

Schecter Gryphon
Epiphone SG G-310
Roland Cube 20X
Boss ME-50
Umm...how about both? And even more important, develop your ear. Learn songs without looking at either tabs or notes, then go back and use either to confirm your own transcriptions.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Theres no "learning" tabs. Its just.... there.

Your strings and frets are right there, anyone that has to learn that besides a total noob is a retard.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
notes.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!