I was learning this song called the ex but i cant figure out what palm muting is! Someone PLEASE HELP!!!
I Took on The Whole World! Fight with the Young Girls!DIE TRAGEDY! DIE TRAGEDY!
you place your palm on the strings near the bridge to create a muted affect, and you strum

try some metallica, they frequently used a palm muted E5 chord over and over
Quote by Doolittle
Do it for Hedwig!
Palm muting is just using the side of your picking hand to mute the strings. By that, I mean that the note will sound, but it will sound more muffled. When you pick the notes (Using downstrokes helps), take the side of your picking hand (The side that would hit something if you were to Karate chop it), and place it gently, but firmly, on the strings just in front of the bridge. If you just hear a scratchy noise, move closer to the bridge, and be careful not to push down on the strings. Good luck with that.

Edit:Gah, they beat me to it. Me and my damned details.
Quote by ShredtoBed
Dude.
The gore of killing animals is supposed to scare you out of eating meat.
That and drop Q tuning with pig squeels

:P ive never been able to really truely palm mute.. i dont get how youre supposed to keep your palm at the bridge and still strum and pick..

i use the method where you just lightly let your left fingers sit over the fret where you want em..

works.
Quote by hippie_cune
:P ive never been able to really truely palm mute.. i dont get how youre supposed to keep your palm at the bridge and still strum and pick..

i use the method where you just lightly let your left fingers sit over the fret where you want em..

works.

You just plant your base of your palm there and use your wrist or arm to pick...
Quote by hippie_cune

works.
Uh.......that wouldn't be considered palm muting. PM has more of a chugging, heavy kind of feel to it. All you're doing is deading (not sure of how to say it) the string.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Quote by hippie_cune

works.

.. your just muting the strings or whatever its called .. not palm muting them.

to palm mute just play the note, chord or whatever, as you would normally, but rest your palm on the bridge of the guitar as your doing it.

if you dont really know how to palm-mute your gonna have to just practice it a few times before you get used to the feeling.
So yeah, learn to palm-mute. It's used in ridicilously many songs, and it'll give you a good variation for your normal chord-playing.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I used to not be able to palm mute. It takes a little practice, but I got it eventually. Try Master Of Puppets. Lots of Palm Muting
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I can palm mute the lower strings easily (EAD) but I can't seem to position my palm near enough the bridge and pluck the higher stricks, I just get the regular 'cluck' sound. Any tips?
Put that fat bit where your palm and wrist meet over the strings right next to the bridge. I think UG has a lesson on it...
R E G G A E