I want to learn blues on acoustic, but i can hardly do bends on the strings i got on there.

I have an fg411.

Are all G strings bound/wrapped on acoustics? Cause i finding it really tough bending this string. I reckon they might be .13 on there cause its real stiff. I have .10 on my electric. Can I use .10 on my acoustic, if so what brand is best for bending?

I note worried about losing a little tone.
I use D'addario 11 gauges for everything. The G is wound, but it has very good bend, and they give a great blues sound.

D'Addario 11 gauge is my recomendation.
There are a couple things to look at when the strings feel stiff. The string gage is just one.

If you think the guitar has 13's try bumping down to .12's or .11's. I wouldn't drop all the way down to 10's becauses that really doesn't give you enough tenstion to be able to drive the top.

Make sure the truss rod is adjusted poperly. If you don't know how to do it then it is always good to take it down the the local guitar shop and pay them a few quid so that they will show you how.

Make sure the slots in the nut are cut deep enough. This is something I would recomend you have a luthier do. The #1 reason a guitar feels tight is because the nut slots are too shallow.

Make sure the action is high enough. When the action is too low it makes it so that your fingers don't get enough grip on the strings which then means that you have to push on the strings harder if you want to bend them. I'm not saying make sure your action is high. Blues players don't want high action, but the action can't be low either.
Not taking any online orders.
Come on dude. D'Adarrio's.

You know you want the. Herman Li uses them...

lol

Nah seriously man thyre really good.
Thinner strings will lose you volume when playing unplugged and of course you're going to lose your tone. The problem you're having is that you're looking at the acoustic as a tough electric guitar and attempting to transpose your electric blues licks onto an acoustic. It's actually not that common to bend the strings of an acoustic guitar in the same way as an electric but sliding becomes much more common.
Quote by shok_411
Thinner strings will lose you volume when playing unplugged and of course you're going to lose your tone. The problem you're having is that you're looking at the acoustic as a tough electric guitar and attempting to transpose your electric blues licks onto an acoustic. It's actually not that common to bend the strings of an acoustic guitar in the same way as an electric but sliding becomes much more common.

BINGO!
well i think its more me getting use to the thicker strings, just played it now, and it was ok, cant ben g on 2nd fret like i can my electric, but hey thats not how u play acoustic blues hahaha.

i think it needs a bit of an action setup, its nice and low but not too low, its got a low profile bone saddle. but how do i measure if the neck is ok? can u give relief to an acoustic like an electric? im getting a very tiny amount of fret buzz on low E, mostly toward the nut but some on A string near the 15th as well. only a tiny amount.
^then as long as you are not getting fetbuzz that truss rod should be just fine the way it is.
i am getting fret buzz on the low E, should there be any gap between 7th fret and the string? cause mine is pressing against it.
Quote by fiztech
i am getting fret buzz on the low E, should there be any gap between 7th fret and the string? cause mine is pressing against it.

1 or 2 mm. sounds like you need to loosen the truss rod. Turn it about 1/4 turn and then play it for a few min. Then check it again and see how much space there is.
try ernie ball earthwood strings. they are very soft, and play very well. the only problem is, i think they are a true bronze (most 'bronze' strings are brass i believe) and sound old very quickly. but new, they sound great.

some strings are wound on a hex core, and some on a round core. i think one is easier to bend. ask the guy at the music store.
what
Quote by Brother_In_Arms
I use D'addario 11 gauges for everything. The G is wound, but it has very good bend, and they give a great blues sound.

D'Addario 11 gauge is my recomendation.

yes this is a great string gauge use this ^
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Well if you are going from acoustic to electric, your fingers will need to adjust, because you likely have a different gauge. If they are thicker than ya you will have a hard time bending.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics