On my return, I decided to open a cool thread.

It's about posting a song to download and writing a few lines about what you really like about it or why it means so much to you. It might help people understand that songs can be interpreted in different ways depending on the listener and the surroundings etc.

It doesn't have to be your all time favourite song or anything like that, but just something you've found that you're really into.

Here's mine.

Stingy Queens- Guided by Voices

Firstly, GbV are quite easily one of my favourite bands ever. Between my dad and I, we have more than 50 of their CDs. They're just so different from most bands and continue [Pollard, this is; as GbV split up a while ago] to pour out amazing pop/rock ballads.

I could honestly write a novel about them right here and how they still continue to amaze me, but that would pretty much take forever. Instead, I'll explain why I like this one.

It's not actually from a "proper" album. Instead it was released in one of their many BOX sets with all their outtakes etc, which tend to be better than most bands could ever wish for.

The reason I like this one so much is becuase of the complete lo-fi, beat-it-out, just-written, sound to it. Towards the end the lyrics match the tune so perfectly and the way the guitar is being strummed almost too hard for itself; works so well.

The lyrics are fantastic and I'd post them up if I could find them, but it's an endless task to get all his lyrics up onto the site [http://www.gbvdb.com/versions.asp] as there's so ****ing many of them.

I'll pick out the bit that gives me goosebumps though:

Around 1.40 ish when the lyrics go:

"And hoisted up on silly strings,
And prizes for the stingy queens"

"We'd all but given up and said:
'They no longer ours so they must be dead"

[Such a great couplet, the last one. I think it's really fitting of late actually, with terrorists etc.]

And around 2.08 when the fret buzz really kicks in and they go:

"And one day when we flee
From our sweet misery,
And shed our human costumes then
Revealing somewhat smaller men.
Go off to work and then back again."

[It's what I call "Good Philosophy"]

From then on the guitar is just so angry and determined, it's like the song isn't going to end unless it says so.

See, I could go on forever about them, but it's too easy.

This is only an outtake too, the real cds are ****ing priceless.

Next song...
Last edited by thepickups at Aug 27, 2006,
Please try and find tracks on the net somewhere rather than uploading them
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i wished i could express myself better. this is a really cool idea.

I'd choose Interpol - Take you on a cruise, really fabulous song. The lyrics seem to blend in awesomelly well with the melody.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
I'd choose Interpol - Take you on a cruise, really fabulous song. The lyrics seem to blend in awesomelly well with the melody.

Could you file share it?

I'd like a listen.
Right then Glenn, i know you won't lie me saying this but.... Pink Floyd on either Ummagumma or Live in Pompeii. It's just that sound, so psycadelic; indescribable. Also, on Careful with that axe, eugene all that screaming and whispering is amazing. But he floyd on those two albums would not be the same without Rick Wright; he creates the whole atmosphere that's just mindblowing.

That's my contribution
Last edited by caz_guitar_dude at Aug 28, 2006,
Well, this is essentially killing the idea of this thread, but one song i've been thoroughly enjoying lately is Inertiatic ESP by the Mars Volta. I can't really tell you what it means to me because the lyrics are...well...here , read them yourself...very odd. But i love the song, it just has a crazy-ish feel to it and i'm quite addicted to it.
And if anyone happens to know what the lyrics mean, I'd love to know. =P
My Solo Stuff

Quote by crazydiamond73
There's a shoe floating down the street on a raft, how many pancakes does it take to cover the dog? None, ice cream doesn't have bones.

Bow to me.
Cool thread.

Eels - Last Stop : This town (YouTube)

Quite possibly the best song ever. It has helped me make it through many a difficult day. So, for the times of happiness it has given me when I was too depressed to get out of bed, it is my favourite song ever and the first song I'll reccomend to anyone.

The album its on is actually horrifically depressed. It's preceded by a song called "going to your funeral pt 2". The transition froma song so crushingly sad to something so happy is a cathartic experience I'd like to repeat over and over.

So, for me, this is a song YOU need to hear before you die. Do it.
Stars - The Vanishing

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18287624

This song is just so dreamy. The horns in the chorus are perfect, and the quick strums of acoustic guitar during the verses excite me. It's just a really pretty song.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Well, this is essentially killing the idea of this thread, but one song i've been thoroughly enjoying lately is Inertiatic ESP by the Mars Volta. I can't really tell you what it means to me because the lyrics are...well...here , read them yourself...very odd. But i love the song, it just has a crazy-ish feel to it and i'm quite addicted to it.
And if anyone happens to know what the lyrics mean, I'd love to know. =P

it said
I'm lost
I'm lost
now I'm lost

Eels - Last Stop : This town (YouTube)

Nice choice. I love the way most of E's music sounds happy but is really depressive.

I have a few by them. Someone I know really, really likes them. I've never been into them too much, but you described the song really well.

Regina Spektor - Us (I don't think the video does the song's beauty justice)

Everything about this song gives me the urge to listen to it over and over again.

Yes! I've got her 3 albums. Amazing.

Keep them coming.
Sometimes-My Bloody Valentine (Youtube, video of Lost in Translation. Not the whole song)

Whole Song (Not default song that plays)

The song is pretty special to me. Whenever I watch it, it reminds me of the scene in Lost In Translation where this song is played. It is so dreamy and nice. The song and the scene together really remind me of a time in my life where I could just relax and not worry about anything. It is just a great song to listen to and 'close my eyes'.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Aug 29, 2006,
Quote by thepickups
it said
I'm lost
I'm lost
now I'm lost

Well...i kinda figured that part out, but i was wondering if the rest of the words, kinda like this part:
"dolls wreck the minced meat of pupils
cast in oblong arms length
the hooks had been picking their scabs
where wolves hide in the company of men."
But yea, i figured out what it means, and it's right here. But thanks for the help anyway =P
My Solo Stuff

Quote by crazydiamond73
There's a shoe floating down the street on a raft, how many pancakes does it take to cover the dog? None, ice cream doesn't have bones.

Bow to me.
I don't know loads about the band, but I'm pretty sure he often writes just to provoke meanings. Sometimes the song has no initial meaning, which leaves it open for different interpretations.
Last edited by thepickups at Aug 29, 2006,