I've been thinking for a while now about expanding my recordings by adding a bass. I really do not want to spend an arm and a leg on one, yet at the same time, do not want to waste a hundred or 2 on complete garbage.

I've seen the Dean Playmate, the Parker Slammer, the low end Ibanez Soundgear etc. all on ebay pretty cheap.

Anyone have experience with any of these or something else?

Thanks,

Adam
I own a cheap Ibanez bass (£180 new) and i have to say i am very happy with it. I started playing bass with a stagg starter pack (amp + guitar and accesories £180) but the amp doesnt sound very good and the guitar just wasnt comfortable enough to play after a few years. So i just reccomend avoiding the Stagg starter package. Ibanez is worth a look though. i cant comment on the others.

EDiT - my ibanez is a GSR 200 by the way.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Last edited by twowheels at Aug 27, 2006,
http://www.rondomusic.net is your best bet. With a proper setup, they will play better than most MIM Fenders. Without the setup, they top all the low end Ibanez' and Squires. Do a search around here, this thread comes up at LEAST twice ever 5 days.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
http://www.rondomusic.net is your best bet. With a proper setup, they will play better than most MIM Fenders. Without the setup, they top all the low end Ibanez' and Squires. Do a search around here, this thread comes up at LEAST twice ever 5 days.

are they really that good? have you played any? cause i was looking of getting into bass and i didnt want to spend too much because guitar is my main thing. i doubt they're better than a properly set up Fender MIM though but ive never played one
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
are they really that good? have you played any? cause i was looking of getting into bass and i didnt want to spend too much because guitar is my main thing. i doubt they're better than a properly set up Fender MIM though but ive never played one

I said when properly set up, they are better than MIM Fender's

I have played a used one at Guitar Center, and it wasn't a boutique bass or anything, but it sure blew the Ibanez GSR200 and all those low end Squire's out of the water. All it needed was a nice set up, and it would play even nicer.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I disagree. Yeah, okay, if you give it a pro setup, new bridge, new pups, new tuners, a bone nut, (that's what, another 2-250 bucks?) you get something comperable. But the fact is the wood and general build quality on a good MIM is miuch higher.
haha
Ebay. seriously.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I own a lefty Jazz bass i got off of Rondomusic.net and it definitely plays better than a mexican fender. if you drop bartolini's in it it'll top a standard american jazz bass. If you get a rondomusic.net bass you can feel safe if you ever want to upgrade it.
my goal in life is for someone to quote me in their signature...
Quote by crazypeanutman
Ebay. seriously.

I've bought most of my gear off ebay. As long as you're smart about it and do some research first it's a pretty positive experience. I've paid less than half what I would have for my gear if bought elsewhere, and I've found things that are no longer in production as well.

Adam