Page 1 of 3
hey. ive heard a LOT of people say that you can tell a great musician because they can sing and play guitar at the same time. if you think about many great guitarists did sing and play (eric clapton, hendrix, billie joe armstong :P). also many guitarists didnt sing and play at the same time like slash and joe perry. was this because they couldnt sing well or they couldnt sing and play at the same time? i cant multitask to save my life and therefore cant sing and play. there are probably a few people on ug who are the same. does that make us bad musicians? bad multitaskers? or does singing and playing not make any difference to your skill as a musician?

any thoughts?
Member #29 of the Fender Armada. Pm Arlabester...
Co-Founder of the UG Hippie Club! PM me or Blynd_Snyper to join!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
It only means you haven't practiced it enough.

Being able to sing and play at the same time is a measure of a musician.
Greatness means different things to different people.

There's a TON of factors you can consider when trying to decide how good you think someone is. Some guitarists don't sing at all, ever .. but people still consider them to be 'great' so ... whatever... it's an old topic and really who cares.
Quote by Tok
if you think about many great guitarists did sing and play (eric clapton, hendrix, billie joe armstong :P).

*sigh*

Anyway, I don't think not being able to sing and play at the same time makes you a lesser musician, it just doesn't give you as many options. That's why I'm learning to sing as I play, so I don't limit myself to just being a guitarist.
meh....I dunno
I mean, Slash doesnt sing, John Frusciante and John Petucci dont sing much. Yet they all are great, great guitarists, and musicians.

It's kinda like the question of how you can play with "emotion". I mean, are you supposed to play the guitar and cry your eyes out?
i think mosty musicians that are relatively good can sing and play, but i dont think its a measure of a good musician, because all you have to do is memorize the song really well. Also a lot of people that dont sing and pla at the same time do it because they cant sing that well or dont have good voices.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Tok
hey. ive heard a LOT of people say that you can tell a great musician because they can sing and play guitar at the same time. if you think about many great guitarists did sing and play (eric clapton, hendrix, billie joe armstong :P). also many guitarists didnt sing and play at the same time like slash and joe perry. was this because they couldnt sing well or they couldnt sing and play at the same time? i cant multitask to save my life and therefore cant sing and play. there are probably a few people on ug who are the same. does that make us bad musicians? bad multitaskers? or does singing and playing not make any difference to your skill as a musician?

any thoughts?

Please don't include billie joe armstrong in the same sentence as eric clapton and jimi hendrix when your talking about great guitarists. Thank you
Well, life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get runover or you might get shot
I cant sing and play it puts me outta wack. Some songs I can like a couple Weezer ones.
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
Quote by Tok
. also many guitarists didnt sing and play at the same time like slash and joe perry. was this because they couldnt sing well or they couldnt sing and play at the same time?

Possibly because there was no need for it. Steven Tyler and Axl Rose are both really excellent vocalists.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
It doesn't mean anything. It's really fun to be able to sit down and play a song complete with vocals though. It's worth learning how to do it.
I can sing and play guitar at the same time, while hoping on one leg. That must make me god.
I can sing and play guitar on somethings, pity i cant sing :'(
On black sabbath a lot of its easy to sing along to, Paranoid, Iron man, War Pigs, Evil Woman
And Obviously a lot of green day but its usually stuff where the guitar goes with the words, if you're rythm then yeah its not so hard but if you're lead or second lead then its harder, like singing to black sabbath, some of it's hard as Iommi was the only guitarist and he never sung
Guitarist and a musician are different...all guitarists are musicians but not all musicians are guitarists...its good if you can sing..

but your a musician if you can sing(and play), but a guitarist if you cant sing (while playing guitar..)..thats my opinnion
i dont think its a measure of how good you are at all. i think it's better to play and sing at the same time cause that means you can expand your musicality, but it doesnt mean your a worse musician if you cant sing and play at the same time.
-Nick
Many people that play guitar very very well but don't sing probably do so because they're in bands with superior singers, or they're a little lost for words when it comes time to write lyrics.

You can't tell me Steve Vai or Joe Satriani aren't "great musicians" yet Vai pretty much never sings and Joe's vocal performance have been very few and far between.

I'd say it's more to do with the kind of music and such. It's true that you have to practice longer to sing while playing a part, and that's really the only difference. I have a friend who can't sing and play very well for that exact reason, I'm afraid he doesn't practice very well ( healthy habits and all that) and thus doesn't get the part for the hands down well enough to think about the voice. That's all it really is. I find I (generally) respect singers who play an instrument more than those who do not, but vocal abilities rarely affects the way I feel about someone's musical talents with an instrument. The ability to sing is a bit more natural and/or god given (if you believe in such things) where as the ability to play and keep time and such can be "learned" more, I guess that's why I judge them differently on that account.

oh and Jimmy Page is a very good musician, on acoustic guitar, on electic he's possibly the best rhythm guitarist ever but his soloing abilities are rather iffy for someone so legendary.
Quote by HorridxHopes
Yeah, Jimmy Page isn't a great musician. Limey bastard can't sing at the same time!

I outta shove my headstock down your throat for that one.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Personally, being a great "musician" to me means being able to play alot more than just guitar or singing. To me being a great musician means knowing how to play a wide range of instruments really well. However, playing guitar and singing at the same time does make you a better musician because there is alot more to it than you may realize. Singing is just like playing a guitar, you have to hit all the right notes all the time or else it will sound like ****. You have to warm up before singing same as a guitar, blah blah. You're basically playing two instruments at once. So I'd say yes, it would make you a better musician.
Quote by wokketywok
you mentioned billie joe armstrong but not kurt cobain..?

go die :O

Thats just what i was thinking.
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
i can only sing and play if i look at my guitar half thhe time...

Yeah, I have to look down at the fretboard when i have to move my whole hand up or down the neck, even if i'm not singing, cuz if i don't look, i go up or down too far

Plus, i don't sing cuz I have a crappy voice? so why ruin my playing by attaching ****ty singing to it? Maybe thats why some of the great guitarists don't do vocals...
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Quote by guitar?
I can sing and play guitar at the same time, while hoping on one leg. That must make me god.

Quote by stjoe55
Please don't include billie joe armstrong in the same sentence as eric clapton and jimi hendrix when your talking about great guitarists. Thank you

Funny stuff...I just think it's either because they can't sing or (like some other guy said whose name i can't remember) they have a great singer already. For example, Angus Young can go crazy and run and bounce around and stuff, so i'm sure if he wanted to he could sing at the same time...he just can't sing...and he had a really great singer(s).
hey, duane allman didn't sing when he played. somebody tell me he wasn't a god.
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
That's stupid. It's like saying you should have to be able to play drums and guitar at the same time. They're completely different instruments.
no, if its a decent guitarst it just depends on weather he is a decent singer or not. you cant tell me Duane Allman and Derek Trucks aren't good guitarist because they don't sing.
Jimmy Page actually cut a single as a solo artist, She Just Satisfies, on which he sang lead. The vocals were supposedly tragic. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere though. If anyone wants to help me track it down, you're quite welcome to.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
That doesn't mean ****. A good musician might not be able to sing or play guitar at all. Maybe he/she's a pianist? Don't measure a musician in terms of how many instruments they can play, it's the understanding of music. Playing multiple instruments and understanding them of course vastly expands the amount one can do, but some people just want to sing, not being able to play two specific instruments isn't a measure of anything except if you consider yourself to specifically play them, then you can be measured as an instrumentalist in terms of that instrument.
The only song i can play and sing at the same time is Leper Messiah by 'Tallica. if only ecause ive practised it that much, i could play the rhythm section blind and behind my head.

Speaking of good guitarists who sing.... James Hetfeild!
I think it's utter bull**** to say someone isn't a good musician if he/she can't sing and play guitar at the same. I can sing and play at the same time quite easily, but I don't do so in public because my singing voice is terrible and untrained. I don't know how to use that particular instrument (my voice) very well, so I don't use it, and I stick to what I know how to do.

Not singing while playing is just using one less instrument. To criticize someone for not singing while playing is like criticizing someone for playing the trumpet without accompanying himself on the piano.

John Petrucci and Michael Romeo don't sing and play, but they're still great musicians. Maybe not great singers (I don't really know about this one) but they're great guitarists and can play their instruments wonderfully.

Then there's Russell Allen, who can play the guitar (and I think piano), but doesn't play when performing. Does it make him any less of a singer? Not at all. The same goes for countless other singers with instrumental training who concentrate solely on their vocal work.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Aug 27, 2006,
Singing and playing at the same time does require an additional skill, but doesn't mean you're a great musician, necessarily, I don't think.

I do lead vox and lead guitar in my band, and can do both together reasonably well. This is at the expense of being "tied" to the mic and not being able to move around on stage much. It's hard to NOT just stand there and play.

That said, I used to be the world's worst singer. Truly terrible. As soon as I learned to sing (and I'm no Bruce Dickenson or Steven Tyler), I improved considerably as a musician. My ear got better, and I was more cognisant of how different parts fit together, and each thing having their own sonic space. I was better able to communicate my ideas to others because I didn't *need* to figure something out on the guitar to get it across... or worse.... trying to explain a melodic shape or something. Learning to sing made me a much better musician.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
being able to sing and play means you are able to play music of that standard at an unconcious level.

and in billie-joe's case, that isnt a very high standard.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
being able to sing and play means you are able to play music of that standard at an unconcious level.

and in billie-joe's case, that isnt a very high standard.

Yeah, but singing and playing very easy music in front of thousands of people would still freak the crap outta me.

Some people can sing and play, some can't. That's just the way it works.
Quote by wokketywok
you mentioned billie joe armstrong but not kurt cobain..?

go die :O

kurt cobain wasnt a great guitarist at all.
Call me Jack
kurt cobain could sing (sort of) while playing guitar (sort of)

and i would never consider him a good musician....

ohwell. to each his own
Page 1 of 3