When I play guitar I start with a few warming-up exercises (streching, stuff from the vai 10 hour workout, and so on). I start slowly and build up speed till I'm warmed up. After that I play scales for a while, and when I'm finished with that I stat to work on a certain song that I want to learn. (or a part of a song) At the end of the practise session I can play the song (or intro or riff or whatever I'm learning) pretty good and at decent speed.

So anyway, the next day I play guitar again and after doing the same warmups and scale exercises I want to work on the song again, but every time my playing is a whole lot worse then it was at the end of the practice session the day before! I have to spend a couple of hours to get it to the same level again. When I finish practising it's at the same level of playing again as it was at the end of the previous day.

And the day after that I usually have the same problem. I can't play it like I could the day before, so I have to real-learn it again! And the day after that, same problem. It's like I un-learn everything overnight. Does anyone know why this is and what I might be doing wrong?
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Well, how busy are you during the days you practice? Sometimes, on my busy days, I forget some of the stuff I learned. You're either overworking yourself and trying to constantly fit in practice, or you're drinking too much.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
sounds like the problem is your forgetting that you spent many hours the day before warming up and are expecting to be at the same level next time u pick up the guitar. Try writing down how long you spend the day before on warmups and do the same amount of time the next day and see how it feels after that.
Quote by Atreideslegend
sounds like the problem is your forgetting that you spent many hours the day before warming up and are expecting to be at the same level next time u pick up the guitar. Try writing down how long you spend the day before on warmups and do the same amount of time the next day and see how it feels after that.

No I spend the same amount of time warming up. My problem is that even after I am warmed up I'm not as good as I was at the end of the practice session the day before, but more as good as I was before I practised. It's like I didn't practise at all the day before. And this keeps happening day after day after day
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

You have to practice it continuously.. anyone can play something slow all day long and be playing it fast at the end of the day, but the next day you only regain a bit of yesterdays progress.

You have to play said piece continuously over a long period of time until the habit of playing it perfectly supersedes the habit of not playing it perfectly.

Read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172&page=1&pp=20
Apparently I just suck all the time or something because most of the time I just pick up the guitar and burst into a riff that I learned recently... Sure I do scales and stuff too but I try not to be so stiff about my practicing. Maybe try learning something (and if it's not total shred, if it's s shred solo, then do all your warming up) and just picking up the guitar and playing it a couple times to see if you remember it, then do you're warm ups. The routine of the warming up might actually be what's throwing you off...

Well that or it might just be a very forgetful song for you, I can't remember the into to "Sweet Home Alabama" for the life of me, even though I've "learned" it about a half-dozen times.
I know you can't regain all of the progress of the day before but it's like I only regain 0% or if i'm lucky 1% of the progress of the last day. I've been reading stuff about how the brain remembers things we practise and all that but I've yet to find something that actually allows me to regain a bit more then 1%
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Play the riff throughout the day. I find if I am learning something, I retain a lot more of it if a just come back to it a few times in the day, even if it's just for a few minutes, then if I practise a long time then go to bed or whatever. Spreading out your practise time is more effective!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
maby if u relax a little, instead of warming up and doing all this technical stuff, just try playing around and have a little more fun playing, if u force urself to do anything (im not syaing you do but just in case) ur not gona have fun and ull proably forget it.
Yes, you're practicing wrong. I have a whole lot of questions to ask about your practice... and I don't care if you answer them.

What are you doing for speed building? Why are you doing it?

How's your technique on the scales? What scales? Why are you playing them? How are you playing them?

What song are you learning? Why aren't you learning it? How are you trying to learn it? How much of it at a time?

At the end of the day, what have you learned?

If you don't know what I'm really asking, then you need to sit down and really think about what you're "practice" time is doing for you.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
What are you doing for speed building? Stuff from the Vai 10 hour workout and scales.

Why are you doing it? To help me warm up, to improve my acuracy and speed, to increase the dexterity (I hope that's the right word) and muscle build in my fingers. One of the biggest benefits these exercises have is that it tends to make my playing more smooth and relaxed and less chunky, sloppy and 'forced'.

How's your technique on the scales? What scales? Why are you playing them? How are you playing them? I don't know how I can tell exactly how good my technique is, but I try to go by an 'accuracy over speed' filosophy when practise them. I practise major and minor pentatonic scales and the 'regular' major and minor scales. I practise this mainly because I use them a lot when improvising and jamming. For me it's imporatant that I am comfortable playing these at a decent speed and that I know what I'm doing so when I improvises a solo or something I can just let it flow. I practise them up and down.

What song are you learning? Why aren't you learning it? How are you trying to learn it? How much of it at a time?
Currently working on Master of Puppets by Metallica. Don't know why I'm not learning it, that's why I made this topic. I start of very slowly and increase speed in small steps, and I try to be very carefull of the precision of my playing and the sound. I learn it one riff at a time.

At the end of the day, what have you learned?
At the end of the day I've progressed a riff and improved my speed and acuracy on that riff and the riffs before (only to have forgetten everything again the next day)

On a side note, even though I do a lot of scales and such I still have a lot of fun when playing guitar. Just the feeling of my fingers on the strings, the pick in my other hand and the sound coming out of my amp makes me happy. (sounds silly but you know what I mean) Ofcourse like everyone I can sometimes get a bit frustrated, but I try to avoid that as much as I can. And other than my practise sessions there are also ofcourse a lot of moments that I just pick up my guitar and just fiddle around with simple songs, improvising, bluesy chord progressions, or I just take some chords and build a lil' song out of them.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3