Page 1 of 2
I've heard nothing but great things about the Melody Maker. Plus, it looks pretty neat. Get it.
I wouldn't bother with any of those. You'd be better off saving your money to get a higher end Epiphone. The Elitist series is supposed to be just as good as Gibsons but don't quote me on that.
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
yeah now that he brought up the elitist series epiphones id say get one of those, theyre basically a gibson without the name on the headstock
might need to change the pickups, but its worth it rather than buying a gibson
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Why low-end Gibsons?! They're made in Korea, just like the Schecter you hated so much (some Gibby's are even made in China).

How about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=518401

Maybe this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518403

Or this, if you want to save some money: http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000rootthin.html
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by mikeman
So basically, which ones the best? How does the melody maker compare to the V and the SG?

Flying V Faded

Gibson Faded SG

Les Paul Melody Maker

NOT the melody maker. It has very limited sound options with only one pick up. The V and the SG is the same guitar with two different body shapes. The V is difficult to sit down with though. They are both pretty decent.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Why low-end Gibsons?! They're made in Korea, just like the Schecter you hated so much (some Gibby's are even made in China).

How about this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=518401

Maybe this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518403

Or this, if you want to save some money: http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000rootthin.html

WTF? Who would buy a thousand dollar epiphone? I'd get an LP studio or SG standard instead.

I'm not serious about buying a low end gibson, I'm just curious about the melody maker. It looks totally badass.
^Well, if you dont really want versatility, the Melody Maker might be okay. However, I think there are better guitars in that range.

EDIT: grow up, Elitists LPs can rival Studios.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by mikeman
WTF? Who would buy a thousand dollar epiphone? I'd get an LP studio or SG standard instead.

I'm not serious about buying a low end gibson, I'm just curious about the melody maker. It looks totally badass.

how does the word "epiphone" make it a worse guitar? whats so sweet with the melody maker? it looks cheap if you ask me (dot inlays, single p90)
it all depends on what sound you want,
the SG (which I have and totally love) has a very good rock sound to it
the V has very high output humbuckers and will be good for hard rock and metal stuff
the melody maker has that P-90 sound (more punk-orientated)
ehh im not a fan of the melody makers with those P-90s (which in my experincew arent good for punk since they are just single coils in a bigger casing. the faded gibson arent bad guitars, but they dont have great QC so youll want to buy one from a store and not online, so you can try it out and make sure its in good condition and has a good fret job and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Stay away from the SG Faded, it really doesn't play that well. I dont have any info on the Melody Maker so I would say try that and the Flying V and see what you like.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
If you got the V and changed out the pickups it would be a nice guitar... the pickups that are there are very noisy and sound bad.
That LP melody maker looks fugly.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
My God...a whole topic plagued with stupidity.

First of all, the Gibson Faded series SUCK. They're made from cheap materials and are low quality. I've tried all three of the guitars you're looking at, and all three were garbage.

The melody maker is cheap and made from some unknown wood. It has a flat finish that will dent very easily. The P-90 is decent, though nothing spectacular, the tuners are flat out horrible, and the guitar just overall feels cheap.

The Faded Flying V, while made from "Mahogany" is most likely actually low end Indonesian Luan. It's EXTREMELY neck heavy, and sounds very weak plugged in. It has very little resonance unplugged as well. The flat finish on this one's a bit better than the pitted mess that was on the Melody Maker, but not anything special. It also felt quite cheap, but not as bad as the other two. It's tuners wer also trash.

The Faded SG is simply an insult to call a Gibson. It is one of the worst guitars I've played before. Horrible feel, poor construction, and sh*tty hardware make up this disgrace of a "guitar." The body BARELY resonated at all, and plugged in wasn't much better. The body was made from what appeared to be four pieces, which I'd just like to point out is more pieces than the body on my $150 Washburn WI14, and it just felt like a beginner's guitar with a $500 name sticker on it.

There are much, much, MUCH better options out there guitar-wise. Especially for the $700 that the Flying V costs. I strongly suggest that you steer clear of low end Gibsons and look at other brands like Epiphone and Washburn.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Kartman
Elitist.

Yup would get an elitist.

^^Xenn99 you said most of it right there, I love how you mentioned washburn in there. One of your favorite brands I assume.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 27, 2006,
^Actually, I prefer regular LP shapes to the newer Washburn shapes. I do, however recognize them as quality guitars. I have no doubt that a $300 "Distressed" Washburn WI64 would put any Gibson Faded Special SG to shame. It beats it in all aspects.

Personally, I'm looking at getting an Epiphone over a Gibson. I have the choice to spend all of my spare cash on either a low end Gibson, or get the high end Epiphone version. And, as most of the more intelligent posters here know, high end Epiphones are almost always better than low end Gibsons.

I personally wish that Gibson still made affordable, yet high-quality guitars as their "low end." However, they just don't. Instead, Gibson takes the same quality level they used to produce their "low-end" guitars with, slaps a "custom shop" sticker on the back o the headstock and charges $1000+ more for it.

I'm not trying to bash Gibson, I'm just saying it how it is. They don't put quality stuff into these low end Gibsons. They basically glue together their scrap pieces of wood, throw cheap hardware on, and stick the decal on the headstock.

I 100% believe that a high end Epiphone (Not even Elitist in some cases) will be just as good as a low end Gibson. And topic creator, I highly suggest you look at Epi's instead. You'll get a better quality instrument and will probably pay the same amount or less. Especially if you go Ebay or find a used one at a guitar shop.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Xenns right a low end gibson sux the high end epis are much better than a low end gibson.

Though im looking at this beautiful Gibson White Flying V at GC beautiful guitar 1200 im thinking of getting it i put 20 dollars on it while i make up my mind. so if you can save up some more Gibsons are nice but at that price range get a High end epi or buy a LTD 400 series
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
the faded flying v has a nice slim neck with thin satin finish and plays nice but if its a paul get a Korean or japan Tokai for the money
Xenn is right, stay away from those gibsons and get an elitist, much better for the money, i just wish they still had the elitist sgs, those were VERY low priced for epis elitist series.
^That would be a Standard Flying V, I think. Which is a good guitar. It's just these slightly cheaper "faded" and "special" guitars that are crap. They're beginner guitars aimed at rich kids who want to play a guitar just like whichever emo/pop band is popular at the time.

Edit: curse my late posting.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
dont get any of these guitars
the v's feel horribly playin standing or sitting
the sg is a cheap version of one of rocks most glorified guitars,u can get a much better epi one for the same price and it will be as good or even better
as for the melody make never ever buy one they are a disgrace to the lp name
it might say gibson on it but it looks and sounds like **** i have played one before and it is bad the feel is bad the shape is bad and the p90 is not good it should be priced at about 150 for the quality of it it absoluetly sucks

save ur money dont waste it and get a better guitar
and if ur lookin at gettin a gibson cause everyone says there the best and all the big guys play them then u are stupid cause they get custom made ones with stuff that the ones they sell in stores and online will never have so one of ur fav. players might have a lp and it looks normal but it is completely diff from one u wil by even if it is the same model
dont be stupid and save ur money get sometin better
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
Quote by Xenn99
I personally wish that Gibson still made affordable, yet high-quality guitars as their "low end." However, they just don't. Instead, Gibson takes the same quality level they used to produce their "low-end" guitars with, slaps a "custom shop" sticker on the back o the headstock and charges $1000+ more for it.

I'm not trying to bash Gibson, I'm just saying it how it is. They don't put quality stuff into these low end Gibsons. They basically glue together their scrap pieces of wood, throw cheap hardware on, and stick the decal on the headstock.

I'm not seeing your logic. Affordable and high-quality is impossible for the most part. Yes they are made cheaply, hence the price. Simple economics. Not everyone can afford the LP supreme, that's how the melody maker came to be.

Basically, I think Gibson didn't want to "tarnish" their name, so instead of making some gibsons in third-world countries, they just bought out epiphone, and used the name as an alternative to buying a Gibson. The difference in cost is due to the production.
^It is completely possible to make a high-quality guitar and not charge over $1000 for it. Look at Schecters, Ibanez's, Washburns, Dean's, Agile's, and all the other "small name" brands that make amazing guitars for under $1000. In most cases, I'd say these smaller name brands make better guitars than most Gibsons. Even Epiphone's. Yes, Gibson owns Epi now, but they still make great guitars. I've palyed Epi's that have been worlds better than ANY of the low end Gibsons I've played, and even better than some of the HIGHER END GIBSONS. Yes, you read that right.

I've played quite a few Gibsons and I've only liked a couple. I still didn't love them though and I couldn't justify their prices. However, I've played less Epiphones (I used to be a name snob like so many people here), but I've loved so many of them more. Not only have they all played better than the Gibsons I tried, but a few sound better as well. I know "Epi's can't even compete with Gibsons" but I have honestly tried a few that I have preferred the feel and sound of more than any Gibson I've played.

I've played Gibson LP Standards, Classics, "worn mahogany" studios, SG Classics, and nearly all of the low end Gibsons, and I honesty prefer some Epiphones to them.

One of these Epiphones happened to be a B-stock Les Paul Standard. Had it not been for a crooked binding job, I would have bought it on the spot. I honestly preffered this $300 b-stock epiphone to the $2200 Gibsons I had played less than a week before.

So mikeman, it is entirely possible to have a high quality guitar at a low price. A guitar doesn't need to be over $1000 and have "Gibson" stamped ont he headstock to be good.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^Actually, I prefer regular LP shapes to the newer Washburn shapes. I do, however recognize them as quality guitars. I have no doubt that a $300 "Distressed" Washburn WI64 would put any Gibson Faded Special SG to shame. It beats it in all aspects.

Personally, I'm looking at getting an Epiphone over a Gibson. I have the choice to spend all of my spare cash on either a low end Gibson, or get the high end Epiphone version. And, as most of the more intelligent posters here know, high end Epiphones are almost always better than low end Gibsons.

I 100% believe that a high end Epiphone (Not even Elitist in some cases) will be just as good as a low end Gibson. And topic creator, I highly suggest you look at Epi's instead. You'll get a better quality instrument and will probably pay the same amount or less. Especially if you go Ebay or find a used one at a guitar shop.

Threadstarter listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

^That post meant nothing. Ok, so you prefer inferior made instruments.

In a capitalist economy, compaines compete for prices. It's part of the free market. So why is it that Gibsons cost much more than Epis when Epis look identical and nearly sound identical as well? Well, it's because Gibsons are American made where there are child labor laws and minimum wage laws and trained workers as opposed to untrained sweatshop workers. American workers require more money. And they have a respectable and trusted name. Backing up your product with a big company name is good economics.

So Xenn99, there are more things that go into creating prices than "stamping" Gibson on the headstock.
I do not prefer inferior made instruments I was simply supporting the fact that when it comes to "low" end Gibsons you are paying for the name and there is better. I would definately prefer american made and I would buy a Gibson, but why pay more for something that's not worth the price?
I can understand that there is alot of better quality in instruments becauase the workers are better but can that make up for the materials these low end guitars are made of. When overseas guitars are perhaps made of better materials?

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 28, 2006,
^Did you notice that Gibson's quality control has been going down since '98?
Besides, you shouldn't be flaming Epiphone for being "cheap". Hell, MF has Paul Mcartney's Epi accoustic and its $40,000.

EDIT: directed to mikeman
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
^Are you really that f*cking stupid and delusional, mikeman? Do you REALLY think that Gibson hires "highly trained" guitar technitions to build their "USA made high quality" instruments? Do you really?

Here's a newsflash for you. They hire people at minimum wage and stick them in front of a machine that makes your precious "handcrafted" Gibsons. They press a button to turn the machine on, and press another at the end of the day to turn it off.

Now, the other countries that make excellent guitars (Korea and Japan), are both DEMOCRATIC NATIONS. They have the same sorts of laws we have here. Amazing isn't it? That there are other countries in the world that are developed? And, shockingly, they use the same kind of machines to make the same kind of guitars. They hire average people, just like these USA factories do to press the ON/OFF button.

And, going by your "logic" of a "good company name," my Marshall MG must be like an amazing amp, right? It has the big popular name on it so it must be good, right? The bee's inside it are awesome because they're Marshall bees, right??

Pull your head out of your ass mikeman and stop being such a name *****. Gibson isn't always the best, and ifyou weren't so blinded by the sparkly name on the headstock, you may be able to realise that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Wait so there's no differece between american and overseas guitars? There must be something.

Quote by Xenn99
^Are you really that f*cking stupid and delusional, mikeman? Do you REALLY think that Gibson hires "highly trained" guitar technitions to build their "USA made high quality" instruments? Do you really?

I'm sure some highly trained guitar technicians are involved somewhere in building the guitars at the Gibson shop in Nashville. But don't take my word for it, you fucking arrogant douche.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/Gibson%20USA%20SubPages/Factory%20Tour/

Here's a newsflash for you. They hire people at minimum wage and stick them in front of a machine that makes your precious "handcrafted" Gibsons. They press a button to turn the machine on, and press another at the end of the day to turn it off.

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be intelligent? Since when does Gibson use On/Off buttons to manufacter guitars? So you're trying to tell me that something is not considered hand crafted unless no machines whatsoever are involved? What the fuck are you even talking about?

Now, the other countries that make excellent guitars (Korea and Japan), are both DEMOCRATIC NATIONS. They have the same sorts of laws we have here. Amazing isn't it? That there are other countries in the world that are developed? And, shockingly, they use the same kind of machines to make the same kind of guitars. They hire average people, just like these USA factories do to press the ON/OFF button.

Oh yes. North Korea is so very democratic. Kim Jong Il is a hero. Praise North Korea for it's democracy. The citizens of North Korea are not oppressed in any way by the tyrranny of the oh so very democratic and glorious leader.

And, going by your "logic" of a "good company name," my Marshall MG must be like an amazing amp, right? It has the big popular name on it so it must be good, right? The bee's inside it are awesome because they're Marshall bees, right??

Wrong, dumbas$. You can't blame it for being a cheap solid state amp. You get what you pay for.

It is by no means a great amp, but it does say Marshall on it. Therefore, noobs like you buy it. That, my friend, is my logic of good economics.

Pull your head out of your ass mikeman and stop being such a name *****. Gibson isn't always the best, and ifyou weren't so blinded by the sparkly name on the headstock, you may be able to realise that.

Ok, now you're just putting words in my mouth.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
I do not prefer inferior made instruments I was simply supporting the fact that when it comes to "low" end Gibsons you are paying for the name and there is better. I would definately prefer american made and I would buy a Gibson, but why pay more for something that's not worth the price?
I can understand that there is alot of better quality in instruments becauase the workers are better but can that make up for the materials these low end guitars are made of. When overseas guitars are perhaps made of better materials?

Sorry, wasn't directed towards you.
Last edited by mikeman at Aug 28, 2006,
well Xenn you know my opinion about the faded SG and I know your opinion on it.

Combined, I think you just have to get lucky and find a decent one (like I did). The hardware is the same as on all Gibsons (they even put those "cheap" tuners on Standard models and on some custom shop models). The money is saved on the finish (A LOT of money goes into that super thick multiple layered nitrocellulose lacquer on non-faded Gibsons and also on PRS guitars), the inlays, the binding and the pickup covers.

So OK, we both think different about this guitar and it's too bad you probably don't live in Belgium...(you could've come to check my faded SG out )
And there's still that old saying by some (rare) wise person on UG : Opinions are like... (you know the rest I presume)
This has just turned into another Gibson debate thread

Anyway, my opinion:

When i was on work experience, I got to play quite a few Gibsons. One of those being an SG Special in faded brown. It looked damn sexy, i have to say. But it played pretty badly. The action was too high, the fretbord felt slow, and it was just plain meh. I tried out some LPs, a Classic, a Studio, and 2 Standards (I think). Now, I liked the necks on a couple (I think it was one of the standards, this was a year ago so I don't remember too well). They felt like quality instruments. Whereas the SG felt pretty crap (My old vintage SG copy [£150] played better!).

So I guess I still have faith in the higher end Gibsons (providing you get a nice one), but I think specials are a ripoff.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I love my faded sg special. It's made in the USA, and I thought it sounded similar to the standard...so instead of laying down an extra 600$ for the standard, i just got the faded and a tube amp, haha
Quote by mikeman
Oh yes. North Korea is so very democratic. Kim Jong Il is a hero. Praise North Korea for it's democracy. The citizens of North Korea are not oppressed in any way by the tyrranny of the oh so very democratic and glorious leader.

just in case you never heard of it, there is a country called south korea, which is south from north korea (amazing, isn't it?), and it's a democratic country. as far as i know MIK guitars are actually made in south korea...
Yup my epi standard was made in Korea.

Quote by mikeman

[18:16] <Daniel> "You would buy a $2000 Epiphone because some people (like myself) like the way Epiphones play or the way Gibsons play"
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Page 1 of 2