Page 1 of 7
I've been playing for almost 8 months now,and i was kinda wondering how far ive gotten compared to ppl playing the same amount of time.So anybody whos been playing about that long,name some songs,solos or riffs u can play.
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
It doesn't matter. Everyone progresses at a different level.

The hardest song I can play is probably "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce.
That after a year!! Woah.^^

All I can play that takes some effort is black dog which isn't even that hard.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I can play basically every Chevelle song, some SOAD, and stuff like that. I've been playing for 9 months i think. My fav. song is Simple Man, covered by Shinedown.
ive been playing a year and like 2 days, ive ggot lessons for 1 month, best song i can play is eruption
Last edited by highway1 at Aug 27, 2006,
8 months for me and I can do Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Hmmm, hardest is a toss up between Yngwie Malmsteem - Black Star or Necrophagist - Foul Body Autopsy(not quite full speed yet though). Been playing like a month over a year.
Of course a relevant qualifier to any of those is "how well?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Of course a relevant qualifier to any of those is "how well?"

CT

Yeah sorry i meant decently.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I highly doubt u can play eruption after a year and a month. Another question would be can u play a handful of songs near the same level of your hardest songs,or are they those songs that u just had to learn and u kept on trying at it for a month.
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
Quote by Mattga
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I highly doubt u can play eruption after a year and a month. Another question would be can u play a handful of songs near the same level of your hardest songs,or are they those songs that u just had to learn and u kept on trying at it for a month.

A song learned is a song learned, regardless of the time it took.

Eruption isn't as hard as people want to think.
Hmm... I can play all the Iron Maiden and Metallica Stuff (with Solos), also Valhalla from Blind Guardian and Lake Bodom from CoB.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Quote by lespaul_rentals

The hardest song I can play is probably "Through the Fire and Flames" by DragonForce.

The whole thing?..
Technically, I have played guitar for a year, but not seriously until the last three months or so... And the hardest thing I know is like Nightrain or half part of the last November Rain solo.

Yeah, I am worthless as of now, but I'm trying.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Well, it sounds like alot of people are way ahead of me in progress.. Which of course is my lack of time, and effort to practice as much as needed. Didn't start taking it seriously until about 6 months ago..

My question is, how did you guys progress to such a fast ability of play..

Alot of chromatic exercises with a metronome.. or? Kind of in a rut because I don't know exactly what to practice, etc.. Go to practice but sort of get lost as in what to do.....
hardest thing probably is "drowned and torn asunder" by trivium, next would be some A7X fast riffs
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Quote by zxBane
Well, it sounds like alot of people are way ahead of me in progress.. Which of course is my lack of time, and effort to practice as much as needed. Didn't start taking it seriously until about 6 months ago..

My question is, how did you guys progress to such a fast ability of play..

Alot of chromatic exercises with a metronome.. or? Kind of in a rut because I don't know exactly what to practice, etc.. Go to practice but sort of get lost as in what to do.....

they didnt progress that fast, they are lying. unless your a prodigy i highly doubt that you can play hendrix or dragonforce after eight months of playing.
^ I agree with you at Dragonforce, but there are Hendrix Songs which ain't that "hard" (technically, I know that it's about feeling), like Hey Joe.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
What ?@#% you guys are wayy ahead of me!!.. i play acoustic and i can only play something like nothing else matters or stairway to heaven and som opeth acoustics.... u guys can play yngwie and dragonforce already??
I've been playing 9 months and have been pretty studid not practicing alt picking, I can play, at very high energy levels, Master of Puppets at 95% Triviums Light to the Flies at 95% (solos not included in either) Pretty much mastered Enter Sandman but without solos again. Can do the first solo of Welcome Home and the Intro to Purple Haze but not the rest because some of them cords are just too foreign to me. Can't really think of anything else but I'll let you know if I learn anything new.
And what can you play?
Ive been playing for almost exactly a year, hardest thing is Far Beyond the Sun by Yngwie (it's got alot of pretty easy parts).
I'm not saying I can't play at all, and I'm sure my lack of long sessions of practice prove so. I can play intros, and some solos for classic rock stuff. Metallica, GnR. Neil Young... Pent Minor, Plain Major.. Basic Chords, minor, major.. some bar.. Nothing too spectactular after a year, of not taking it as seriously as I should have.. But these guys supposedly progress seems insane..

What is it I'm lacking, More long sessions of dexterity and speed exercises.. any examples.. any kind of direction would be appreciated.
yeah, eruption really isnt that hard, just takes time to get the patern in your head, and its easy to develup the picking speed for that song
practice scales zx, i dont play as much as i should either, like recently ive prob been playing like 10 mins a day : \ but scales help build speed
Quote by kurosawa
I've been playing 9 months and have been pretty studid not practicing alt picking, I can play, at very high energy levels, Master of Puppets at 95% Triviums Light to the Flies at 95% (solos not included in either) Pretty much mastered Enter Sandman but without solos again. Can do the first solo of Welcome Home and the Intro to Purple Haze but not the rest because some of them cords are just too foreign to me. Can't really think of anything else but I'll let you know if I learn anything new.
And what can you play?

Me? Everything off Led Zepplin IV minus a riff,which isnt all that great.The Bitter End by Sum 41 might be the hardest.
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
Well a couple of finishing touches on Led Zepplin IV still,but not anything like dragon force.
Gibson SG Special
Marshal AVT275x Amp
a little bit of the end sidewinder solo by a7x not as fast though =P

fade to black intro!

dang i am not doin well lol
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
This topic is rediculous...most of these people are lying.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Quote by Mattga
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i can and ive only been playing for a year and 2months
no lessons or **** like that
Quote by ClayJohnson
This topic is rediculous...most of these people are lying.

probably... or, they can play it but it sounds like they're raping a goat...
Quote by Mattga
I've been playing for almost 8 months now,and i was kinda wondering how far ive gotten compared to ppl playing the same amount of time.So anybody whos been playing about that long,name some songs,solos or riffs u can play.

Lets see, its been a year, and I'm doing Crazy Train, I can do the into for Hot For Teacher, I can play most of Stone In Love - Journey (Damn that second solo, can't quite pick it out by ear), Closer To The Heart - Rush, Firewoman - The Cult. Those are the hard ones. I'm sure there are others too, but those are ones I play frequently as well.

Oh and Summer Song and Super Colossial - Joe Satriani

(No I'm not kidding you either).
Well, ive been playing for about a year and 2 months now, but like you, i din't start taking it seriously until about 2 months ago. I can play simple songs like "smells like teen spirit", some linkin park and some SOAD, and i can play the opening to "smooth" by carlos santana, but to be honest, my priority isnt what songs i can learn, its what techniques i can apply. Im learning as many chords as i can, practicing hammer-ons and pull-offs, working on my bends and vibrato etc. I feel mastering techniques over actual songs makes me feel like im progressing more, sinceoncew ive got the techniques down, the speed and ability to play harder songs will just come with practice later on.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
I have been playing just under 8 months and have just got surfin' with the alien up to speed apart from the lick after the first tapping section, but it's not just about what songs or how fast you can play.
I have been playing for 9 months and i had a few lessons but found them boring.
I can play the fade to black and Welcome Home intro solos and i can play the paranoid solo, I seem to be doing ok for 9 months i guess but I cant play anything like Eruption or Dragonforce which apparently some of you can
On the TV, they said Krakatoa erupted at a rate of around 350mph as if thats fast.. they obviously hadn't seen Van Halen's Eruption.
ive been playing guitar now for about 10 months and im not that great the best song i can play would be Sweet Child O Mine and i can only play the first half of the main solo
Yeah, I wanna learn Sweet Child O Mine cos that song rules and the solo is amazing. Slash is a legendary guitarist. Trying to learn Like Light to the Flies and get better at the Dying In Your Arms solo as well. I practice a lot but my progress seems so so slow when its compared to what some these guys can apparently play.
On the TV, they said Krakatoa erupted at a rate of around 350mph as if thats fast.. they obviously hadn't seen Van Halen's Eruption.
Quote by alexgmcm
Yeah, I wanna learn Sweet Child O Mine cos that song rules and the solo is amazing. Slash is a legendary guitarist. Trying to learn Like Light to the Flies and get better at the Dying In Your Arms solo as well. I practice a lot but my progress seems so so slow when its compared to what some these guys can apparently play.

my progress seems to be very slow compared to other people 2...even tho i have had no guitar lessons at all
I've been playing for 9 months and the only 'real' solo i can play is Paranoid. I like to play Iron Maiden and Thin Lizzy songs, can't play solo's though

Songs i can play all the way through (with solos where applicable):

Ace Of Spades - Motorhead (solo's a bit rusty)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
Where Eagles Dare - Iron Maiden (pretty much)
The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy (still learning)
Hard Rock Hallelujah - Lordi
Breaking The Law - Judas Priest
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (not the outro solo)
Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus (just the distortion part)