Right, so I'm buying a whole new rig because the one I have sucks. I'm into shred (Vai, Yngwie, Satch, Buckethead etc) as well as the likes of GnR, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy etc so I basically I need something with a great, versatile lead tone.

My budget is around £1000 and I was thinking...

Ibanez RG2570e Prestige £599

Peavey Valve King Combo £279

Boss ME-50 £150

Any criticisms / suggestions?

I pretty much have my heart set on that guitar (for good reason, it rules) so I'm not budging there but amp and fx could change if anybody has any better suggestions for that price range.
Unless you need effects, then you might want to forget about the ME-50 and get a better amp instead. Maybe a Marshall DSL401. Then maybe an overdrive pedal to boost it with.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
use the money for the guitar and get a better amp, you don't need the best ibanez.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
use the money for the guitar and get a better amp, you don't need the best ibanez.

If I buy a cheaper guitar I'll only end up buying a top end one eventually (I'll just be spending money to postpone the purchase) so I'm definately getting that RG Prestige now not later.

Quote by nic_2090
Unless you need effects, then you might want to forget about the ME-50 and get a better amp instead. Maybe a Marshall DSL401. Then maybe an overdrive pedal to boost it with.

That's an idea, I suppsoe I could buy a seperate delay, wah and what not later on, which would probably sound better in the long run anyway. What Overdrive pedal then? OD-3/SD-1?
I agree with these guys, you're better off spending more on the amp. The RG2550E is the same thing as the 1570 with a pickguard and better pickups. The Dimarzio IBZ's are better than the regular IBZ, but they aren't top of the line either, there are much better aftermarket ones. I would take the difference and get the best amp you can, that's going to be the biggest factor in your sound relating to gear. The SD-1 sounded surprisingly decent to me for a distortion pedal, much more like an overdrive. I prefer the Maxon OD808 or Ibanez TS9 to push a tube amp's gain however, they are basically the standard.

edit: whoops, meant the Maxon SD-9, never tried the Boss SD-1
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 27, 2006,
Quote by Erock503
I agree with these guys, you're better off spending more on the amp. The RG2550E is the same thing as the 1570 with a pickguard and better pickups. The Dimarzio IBZ's are better than the regular IBZ, but they aren't top of the line either, there are much better aftermarket ones. I would take the difference and get the best amp you can, that's going to be the biggest factor in your sound relating to gear. The SD-1 sounded surprisingly decent to me for a distortion pedal, much more like an overdrive. I prefer the Maxon OD808 or Ibanez TS9 to push a tube amp's gain however, they are basically the standard.

I'd much rather pay extra to get the RG2570e. The finish on the RG1570 is disgusting. It looks like nail varnish. Besides, it's not like the DSL401 is a bad amp.
Quote by ^Aquila^
I'd much rather pay extra to get the RG2570e. The finish on the RG1570 is disgusting. It looks like nail varnish. Besides, it's not like the DSL401 is a bad amp.

amp is more important than the guitar. now get yourself a good sounding rig, not a pretty looking one. tool.
Actually, if you look at Erock's pics, ask him for a link, the paintjob on the 1570 isn't that bad, all everyone's trying to do is help you use your cash effectively, paying another $125 for a different paintjob and some slightly better stock pups isn't as good as using that money to get a better amp.
no, definitely not a bad amp, if that's the route you're taking. The RG1570 does look better in person than in pics though, the flash kills it. If that's what your heart is set on, that's fine, I'm just telling you that you are paying £139($265USD) more for cosmetics really, the Dim's aren't "that" much of an upgrade over the standard IBZ. It should still sound killer thru a good amp though, good luck.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by jpetrucci5655
amp is more important than the guitar. now get yourself a good sounding rig, not a pretty looking one. tool.

lol @ this meatflap getting hot and bothered over somebody elses gear choices. Man up.

Ok so I understand what you guys are saying, thanks for being diplomatic about it unlike this c*ntwaffle.

How about I get the Ibanez I want (I really do prefer the asthetics on it a lot) and stretch the budget a little and get a TSL601 so I get a better amp too? Good compromise?
Quote by ^Aquila^
lol @ this meatflap getting hot and bothered over somebody elses gear choices. Man up.

Ok so I understand what you guys are saying, thanks for being diplomatic about it unlike this c*ntwaffle.

How about I get the Ibanez I want (I really do prefer the asthetics on it a lot) and stretch the budget a little and get a TSL601 so I get a better amp too? Good compromise?

thats more like it!!!